Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Thumbs up Sheriff requests county rent house so Deputy's with long work commutes have a place to stay

Marin County Sheriff Robert Doyle wants the county to consider renting a house so that deputies, some of whom face commutes that take two hours or more, have a place they can sleep overnight.
    The sheriff says renting a house where employees can spend the night is a way to help recruit deputies who can't afford to live in Marin. A five-year veteran deputy is paid $83,824 annually, plus benefits.
    It's better than having them sleep in the county jail, where some now spend the night. The four-bed jail dorm room was originally designated for emergencies, but is now in use around the clock.
    Doyle is shopping his idea to county supervisors who are interested, but not yet ready to commit county cash.
    "This is a way for us to keep abreast and remain competitive in the market," Doyle said. "It's a viable alternative."
    Eighty-five percent of Doyle's staff live outside Marin. Officials said 29 of the 200 deputies live at least 50 miles from the Marin Civic Center, with some as far away as Redding, Yuba City and Bakersfield.
    The sheriff's office pays for three vans for commuting deputies.
    Doyle said Marin's program would be modeled after a San Mateo County program, which rents a house in Redwood City and has a dorm in its substation at Moss Beach.
    San Mateo sheriff's Lt. Steve Shively estimates 28 to 34 deputies use the Redwood City house each week. It has six bedrooms and 14 beds.
    "It's pretty well used," he said. "It's a great benefit for the deputies."
    "They are in the same boat we're in," Doyle noted.
    Doyle said the rental would not be permanent housing for deputies, but a closer-to-work place where they can spend their "off" hours.
    Some deputies routinely spend the night in the jail's four-bed dorm room. Others rent rooms from employees who live closer to Marin. Every now and then, deputies find an open bed at a county firehouse.
    "I think it's a great idea," Doyle said, adding the program would be strictly managed. Doyle wants to make sure the deputies are good neighbors and that the home isn't an "Animal House."
    San Mateo County pays $3,800 per month to rent its house. It does not charge deputies for staying there.
    Doyle's proposal has the deputy sheriffs union's support. It was considering renting a house on its own, but concluded it was too expensive for the union's budget.
    "It's what's going on in law enforcement in Marin. The deputies can't afford to live here," said Sgt. Brian Fay, president of the Deputy Sheriffs Association of Marin.
    Most deputies work three 12-hour shifts a week and face lengthy commutes. After spending 12 hours on the job and four hours commuting, there isn't much time left at home other than for sleep before they have to return to Marin.
    "They come up and stay here in the jail," said Fay, a jail staffer.
    Supervisor Steve Kinsey says it's an idea the county should pursue, possibly buying rather than renting a house.
    "It's an outstanding idea as far as I'm concerned," he said.
    He said he's also confident there are answers to possible liability concerns regarding the county being a landlord for workers.
    "If a county like San Mateo has overcome the liability obstacles, I'm sure we can," he said.
    Supervisor Hal Brown is also interested in the idea.
    The goal, Doyle said, is to recruit and retain deputies in a competitive market.
    "It is part of the whole picture of us trying to attract qualified candidates, wherever they might be," he said.
    Other Marin agencies have wrestled with the high cost of housing as well.
    The North Marin Water District, for example, bought a two-bedroom cottage in Point Reyes Station and is renting it to an employee, who is paying just 40 percent of the rent in exchange for being on-call for West Marin calls. And San Rafael recently approved a low-interest home loan for its fire chief, who moved to Marin from Glendale.

hush29 is offline Corporal
    It's kinda like that out here in South Dakota. We have a few contract towns we post deputies in. Most of the time, the deputies have to move their families to these contracts. It sucks. It's also hard to find places to rent in the contracts. Plus, if you want to buy in the contracts, it's extrememly expensive. I think if our county did this, it would make the deputies want to work the contract communities.
    It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    "I think it's a great idea," Doyle said, adding the program would be strictly managed. Doyle wants to make sure the deputies are good neighbors and that the home isn't an "Animal House."
    Interesting idea but I found the quote in bold above to be an offensive assumption, not a great thing to say in a press release.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    I see the time when a scandal erupts (pun intended) while male and female officers are in the same dorm and the spouses find out....

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    Man I wish I made $83,000 a year.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    Man I wish I made $83,000 a year.
    Same here,, that would be nice.

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    thats a great idea, really. working 12 hour shifts and driving up to 4 hours a day to do it is ridiculous as hell...you'd end up with a max of 4 hours of sleep a night. then if you want to put in overtime and stuff, thats even more driving and less sleep.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Eighty-five percent of Doyle's staff live outside Marin. Officials said 29 of the 200 deputies live at least 50 miles from the Marin Civic Center, with some as far away as Redding, Yuba City and Bakersfield.
    This is because the cost of living in the San Francisco Bay Area is through the roof. I will say that it is quite a commute from those cities. These guys would spend all their off time in driving. I wonder if they thought of moving closer. Central California housing is quite affordable compared to this. Only a hour or two drive. Many in my neighborhood do this every day they work. $83,000 a year would be eaten up in housing costs. $1,000 to $1,500 a month just to rent a studio apt. It's outrageous there. I won't even begin to think what a 3 bdrm house would cost. Many families there are living three to four generations under one roof just to make ends meet.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

CaliTheKid is offline Investigator
    Verified LEO
    We have bunks at the station that the deputies can use if they need to stay the night. People use them all the time.
    The great will make you feel like you too can be great.

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    The rents in the Fl Keys are outrageous, many officers come here to work and have their homes and families on the mainland. To accommodate them, the Sheriff built a Bunkroom in the jail. A co-ed living area. There are some people who have lived there for 4 years, make the same amount of money that I do, and meanwhile I pay a mortgage every month and other people pay rents that go anywhere from 2000 a month and up. The bunkroom folks pay much less on the mainland for their families to live in and they stay for free in the "bunkroom".

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Man View Post
    Same here,, that would be nice.
    Half of that would be nice (for me).

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I can't believe that places do shit like this.

I guess I don't understand why it's like that there, or anywhere else.

We don't have beds at our station. And no one ever spends the night for their next shift.

Cost of living is very reasonable here, and considering the cost of living, we get paid good.

I'm just shocked that people would work for a department that requires a 2 hr commute before and after a 12 hr shift....

But that's just because I've never had to experience it I guess...
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    I can't complain. I get paid well and live only 10 minutes away from my station. But I also made personal choices as to my housing and where I was to work in order to make it work for my family.

Which is why I will not return home to Kalifornia to work or live. Never.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    I know of officers in a few agencies who have crash pads that are split across a couple of officers who do their best to keep their shifts staggered.

I also know of a couple of agencies that have put a small bunkroom in, with one or two beds, that officers can use under appropriate circumstances, like having to hold over for court following a midnight shift, or if they're stuck during really bad weather (every couple of years, we get a snow storm or hurricane around here that can get people stuck at work).

And I know of quite a few firefighters who live several hours away... Of course, they can sleep on duty, and work 24 hour shifts. Do a little trading, and they work a couple days, then have the remainder of the month off. (Yeah, must be tough to work 7 days a month.)

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    I can't believe that places do shit like this.

I guess I don't understand why it's like that there, or anywhere else.

We don't have beds at our station. And no one ever spends the night for their next shift.

Cost of living is very reasonable here, and considering the cost of living, we get paid good.

I'm just shocked that people would work for a department that requires a 2 hr commute before and after a 12 hr shift....

But that's just because I've never had to experience it I guess...
    You'd be suprised man. If some places around here would follow the state's direction when they passed law against residency requirements there would be a lot of it here.

Within a half hour to two hours away I could easily make 2-2.5 times what I'm making here. It would be more than affordable to drive it and still make money.

Locally we have a good relationship with the Fire Department and if needed we would just crash there in one of the bunk rooms.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    or if they're stuck during really bad weather (every couple of years, we get a snow storm or hurricane around here that can get people stuck at work).
    Where on earth can you get hit by snow storms AND hurricanes in the same geographical area???

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    Where on earth can you get hit by snow storms AND hurricanes in the same geographical area???
    North Carolina........when I lived there in 1996 Hurricane Fran wrecked the place. Then in January 2000 we got 1 foot of snow in Fayetteville. It was nuts.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Anywhere on the East Coast from about southern North Carolina (maybe even northern South Carolina) up to Maine. You can probably go inland as deep as West Virginia or central PA, as well, if things break just the right way.

And, for that matter, I bet you could get 'em both in parts of Texas, too.

And, despite our current drought, they can happen in the same year!

Verified LEO
    True, good point guys.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    Anywhere on the East Coast from about southern North Carolina (maybe even northern South Carolina) up to Maine. You can probably go inland as deep as West Virginia or central PA, as well, if things break just the right way.

And, for that matter, I bet you could get 'em both in parts of Texas, too.

And, despite our current drought, they can happen in the same year!
    Affirmative on SC. Snow isn't terribly common in the extreme western part of the state, but it happens. And hurricanes affect the entire state. Just about the only thing we don't get on a regular basis is tornadoes. Shame really, as we have an overabundance of trailer parks.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information