Welcome to the APBWeb.
    TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO

Duluth PD Officer shot (he's okay)

Duluth police officer shot in face, suffers minor wounds

A Duluth police officer was shot in the face early Saturday morning in Duluth’s Central Hillside neighborhood and suffered superficial wounds.

Officer Matt Hendrickson responded shortly after midnight to a complaint about a man with a shotgun near an apartment building at 34 E. Fifth St., Police Chief Gordon Ramsay said.

Ramsay said Hendrickson saw the suspect, a 53-year-old Duluth man, enter the apartment building through a broken window. With about 20 feet between them, Hendrickson asked the man to come outside.

“Within a second or two, Hendrickson observed a shotgun held by the suspect and then a muzzle blast from the shotgun,” Ramsay said at a Saturday afternoon news conference.

The police chief said the suspect fired a 12-gauge shotgun and wounded Hendrickson before exiting the back of the building where he was met by other officers. The man resisted arrest and a Taser was used on him twice, Ramsay said.

Ramsay said he expects the suspect, who is being held in the St. Louis County Jail, to be charged with second-degree attempted murder by mid-week. The News Tribune generally does not name suspects until they have been formally charged.

Hendrickson, 30, was taken to St. Luke’s hospital where he was treated for injuries to the left side of his face, and then released Saturday morning, Ramsay said. Following department policy, Hendrickson has been placed on administrative leave.

Hendrickson, a graduate of Anoka (Minn.) High School and North Hennepin Community College, spent four years in the Navy and worked as a police officer in Plantation, Fla., for three years. He has served on the local police force for a year and a half. His father is a Maple Grove, Minn., police officer.

The last time a Duluth police officer was shot was Dec. 15, 1995, when a bullet entered Officer Pete Stauber’s squad car and grazed his head.

Ramsay said the suspect, who lives in the apartment building, fired two shots: one into the building before police arrived and another toward Hendrickson. Hendrickson never fired a weapon, the police chief said.

Ramsay said Hendrickson identified himself as a police officer to the suspect and was wearing a uniform. He said there were “no visual barriers” between the suspect and the officer.

No other injuries were reported and no other arrests were made. Ramsay did not yet know why the suspect fired into the building or if alcohol or drugs were involved.

Officer Barry Midthun, who is the neighborhood’s community officer, said the suspect has been involved in neighborhood disputes but has never been charged with a crime in the area. The incident remains under investigation.

Ramsay said the incident is uncharacteristic of the block in which it occurred.

“It’s a powerful reminder of the daily dangers that police officers face,” he said. “There is no other profession that I am aware of other than … the military, where individuals have to run toward gunfire or individuals with guns.”

link
    "When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Glad to hear the officer is okay.

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    Whew, talk about a close one! The POS should have been shot, not tasered. He wants to play cops and robbers then let him suffer the consequences. More likely than not he will be adjudged incompetent to stand trial due to a mental condition which made him incapable of identifying an officer in uniform.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Glad he's ok.

Close call...
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Dude, you've got to throw in a state in the headline. We have a Duluth here in GA and you had my shitting nickels.

Glad to hear bro is okay, though.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

1*girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Dude, you've got to throw in a state in the headline. We have a Duluth here in GA and you had my shitting nickels.

Glad to hear bro is okay, though.
    EXACTLY my thoughts! Glad he's okay.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Glad the officer's OK.

PeterJasonMN Guest
    This was 10 blocks from my place.

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    Whew, talk about a close one! The POS should have been shot, not tasered. He wants to play cops and robbers then let him suffer the consequences. More likely than not he will be adjudged incompetent to stand trial due to a mental condition which made him incapable of identifying an officer in uniform.
    I agree, Officer down, taser lost.

Glad the Officer is OK

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Thread Information