Welcome to the APBWeb.
    PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired

Officer takes plea deal in threatening of boy

By Mike Cruz, Staff Writer

A San Bernardino police detective accused of chasing and threatening to kill a 10-year-old boy has taken a plea bargain that will allow him to keep his job.

Michael Duane Hamrick of Highland, a 14-year veteran of the San Bernardino Police Department, agreed to plead guilty to misdemeanor fighting and/or using offensive words in a public place under the terms of a plea bargain filed Friday in San Bernardino Superior Court.

In turn, Hamrick will serve one year of probation and 50 hours of community service and be fined $1,876, according to Assistant District Attorney Jim Hackleman.

The detective, who was off duty at the time of the incident, which occurred in Redlands, must also pay for the boy's counseling.

Hamrick, 39, originally faced a misdemeanor charge of making criminal threats. A plea or conviction on that charge would have ended his career as a peace officer because he would have been unable to carry a weapon, Hackleman said.

Judge Ronald M. Christianson set the case over until January, when he will determine how to proceed with the plea. Questions about restitution still remain.

Hackleman said he reviewed the case and Hamrick's personnel file, and met with the boy's parents, Denise and Victor Brown.

"Based upon my review, what I see is, generally, a competent and motivated officer who is doing his best in service to the public," Hackleman said. "And I made a determination, as difficult as it was, that a disposition that gave him the opportunity to remain a police officer was appropriate."

The Browns are furious Hamrick was given a chance to keep his job in what they perceive as "a slap on the wrist."

Lt. Scott Paterson, a San Bernardino police spokesman, declined to comment on the case and referred questions to the District Attorney's Office.

Hamrick, a youth football coach, and the boy were among a group celebrating at Uncle Howie's Pizza in the 800 block of East Lugonia Avenue on Nov. 20, 2004. The adults were inside, while the children were outside playing football in the parking lot.

Hamrick had been drinking beer, when his very upset wife told him that their 8-year-old son had been assaulted by another boy, Hackleman said.

Hamrick went outside, confronted and chased the boy in the parking lot, clearly scaring him and using aggressive and inappropriate language, said.

"My conclusion, after looking at all the facts in this case, was that his actions were improper and inappropriate that night," Hackleman said. "I don't think his son was abused, and I don't have any good information that Mr. and Mrs. Brown's son was misbehaving. I think the officer overreacted."

The Browns allege that while Hamrick, who is white, was chasing their son, who is black, the off-duty officer shouted, "I'm going to kill you," followed by a racial epithet, and had to be restrained by other men.

Prosecutors respond that the situation was chaotic, and there were reliable witnesses on both sides about what was said.

Hackleman added, "It is clear in my mind that aggressive and inappropriate language was used."

The boy was chased out of the parking lot and went next door to a laundromat, where another mother picked him up.

Redlands police responded to the scene but determined that no crime had been committed.

In the meantime, Hamrick has been working as a property crimes detective. His defense attorney, Grover Porter, did not return phone calls for comment.

The San Bernardino Police Department has not made a final decision regarding any disciplinary action against Hamrick, waiting for an outcome in the courts before deciding, Hackleman said

"The guy is still working. He's still carrying a badge, still carrying a gun," said the boy's mother, Denise Brown.

She says she can't understand why the Police Department would allow Hamrick to remain on the force when trained police officers should be held to a high standard of behavior.

Brown said that after the incident her son was scared to go outside, do chores like taking out the trash and was frightened by the sight of police officers.
    "I still have nightmares," the boy said after the court hearing while with his parents.

Hackleman said Hamrick's career has already suffered from what happened and he could still face consequences from a police internal investigation.

In his career, Hamrick has received a number of accolades, including the department's Star of Merit in 2000 for helping save an 8-year old girl who was held hostage with a knife to her neck. He also has put himself in the line of fire to save others and has been active in community organizations and fundraisers.

The Browns said they intend to file a civil lawsuit against him and are searching for a lawyer.

"They were hoping we would go away," Denise Brown said, noting that the family has been to every scheduled court hearing in the case. She read a statement in court Friday describing the outcome of the case as an injustice.

"And now they're getting ready to give him a slap on the hand, give him a fine, give him community service and let him walk," she said.

Hackleman mike.cruz@sbsun.com

(909) 386-3880
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    The detective, who was off duty at the time of the incident,

The Browns are furious Hamrick was given a chance to keep his job in what they perceive as "a slap on the wrist."
    Why does the job matter? He was OFF DUTY......

Hamrick went outside, confronted and chased the boy in the parking lot, clearly scaring him and using aggressive and inappropriate language, said.
    Says who? The mother looking for a lawsuit?

The Browns allege that while Hamrick, who is white, was chasing their son, who is black, the off-duty officer shouted, "I'm going to kill you," followed by a racial epithet, and had to be restrained by other men.
    AH,,, the usual race card.......

Prosecutors respond that the situation was chaotic, and there were reliable witnesses on both sides about what was said.
    Redlands police responded to the scene but determined that no crime had been committed.
    "The guy is still working. He's still carrying a badge, still carrying a gun," said the boy's mother, Denise Brown.

She says she can't understand why the Police Department would allow Hamrick to remain on the force when trained police officers should be held to a high standard of behavior.
    So what she is saying is that Police are perfect? I certainly have heard in court by Defense attorneys that we are not perfect. They say that we are human and we make mistakes (ie: arresting their client). So now the double standard exists?

Brown said that after the incident her son was scared to go outside, do chores like taking out the trash and was frightened by the sight of police officers.
    "I still have nightmares," the boy said after the court hearing while with his parents.
    Clearly related to the mothers views of police, and not the boy's views. There is no correlation with this man allegedly yelling at a kid for assaulting another boy that the assholes son would be afraid of police. The man was not on duty, and NOT in uniform so the boy would not associate it with the police if momma did not tell junior how terrible and scary the police are.... What fuhkin BS!

In his career, Hamrick has received a number of accolades, including the department's Star of Merit in 2000 for helping save an 8-year old girl who was held hostage with a knife to her neck. He also has put himself in the line of fire to save others and has been active in community organizations and fundraisers.
    Risking his life to save others means diddly squat when some schmuck says that he raised his voice at someone.... Then they want to take a guy with "a number of accolades" and demand he looses his job immediately. What other job would you be in jeopardy of loosing for raising your voice?? Accountant? Garbage man? Manager of a company? CEO of a fortune 500 company? NO,,, so get off your high hose you stupid bitch.

The Browns said they intend to file a civil lawsuit against him and are searching for a lawyer.
    So very typical..........

"And now they're getting ready to give him a slap on the hand, give him a fine, give him community service and let him walk," she said.
    That "slap on the hand" involves alot of money in fines and BS counseling charges for the kid, a ding in his otherwise good service record, the embarrassment of the situation as a whole, and now possibly internal discipline with the department (in my mind kind of a double jeopardy, but thats another discussion). SHE NEDS TO GET A LIFE AND STOP TRYING TO SUCK OFF EVERYONE ELSE IN SOCIETY!

So Fla Cop is offline Trunk Monkey Supporter
    Verified LEO
    It is always some BULLSHIT with these liberal assholes.
    September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

So Fla Cop is offline Trunk Monkey Supporter
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    I can't commit no mo licks wifout being scared. Fuck him and his failure family.
    September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Thread Information