Welcome to the APBWeb.
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Terminator's Avatar
    Terminator is offline BANNED
    Join Date
    12-03-05
    Location
    None of your business
    Posts
    16,064
    Rep Power
    0

    Attorneys file racial profiling lawsuit against Maryland State Police, say training documents contain examples of racial profiling about Hispanics

    TOWSON, Md. (AP) ― Attorneys in a racial profiling lawsuit against the Maryland State Police say some training documents contain startling examples of racial stereotypes about Hispanics.

    The documents were included in a court filing in Baltimore County Circuit Court.
    For example, one document cautions that Hispanics generally do not hold their alcohol well. They tend to drink too much and this leads to fights. And it notes, Hispanic males are raised to be MACHO and brave, while females are raised to be subservient. Other sterotypes include the assertion that the weapon of choice for Hispanics is a knife and that Hispanics are reluctant to learn English.
    Betty A. Stemley, the head attorney for the state police says the documents do not appear to have been part of the agency's formal training manual and there's no evidence they were ever presented to troopers.

  2. #2
    bufford408's Avatar
    bufford408 is offline Just green and furry all over
    Join Date
    06-13-06
    Location
    R kin saw
    Posts
    948
    Rep Power
    268874
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    TOWSON, Md. (AP) ― Attorneys in a racial profiling lawsuit against the Maryland State Police say some training documents contain startling examples of racial stereotypes about Hispanics.

    The documents were included in a court filing in Baltimore County Circuit Court.
    For example, one document cautions that Hispanics generally do not hold their alcohol well. They tend to drink too much and this leads to fights. And it notes, Hispanic males are raised to be MACHO and brave, while females are raised to be subservient. Other sterotypes include the assertion that the weapon of choice for Hispanics is a knife and that Hispanics are reluctant to learn English.
    Betty A. Stemley, the head attorney for the state police says the documents do not appear to have been part of the agency's formal training manual and there's no evidence they were ever presented to troopers.

    Oh my god
    The opinions of my posts are the sole responsibilty of my employer due to the fact that they have totally and completely warped my mind.



    .

  3. #3
    Big Sexy's Avatar
    Big Sexy is offline Not your mothers BIG SEXY
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    12-09-05
    Location
    In Denial
    Posts
    671
    Rep Power
    617750
    BIG holds his liquor well. Doesn't bring a knife to a gun fight. Feels he has a mastery of the english language. Though he can be somewhat macho, he feels it isn't excessive.

    Guess it's a good thing BIG is latino and not hispanic.

    Subservient women, BIG knows quite few, from all ethnic groups, who do and don't fit that profile.
    Don't Be Afraid To Fail.

    No Tengas Miedo Al Fracaso.



  4. #4
    TheeBadOne's Avatar
    TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    03-13-06
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,119
    Rep Power
    7265082
    "When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

  5. #5
    Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    04-16-06
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    4,124
    Rep Power
    6563843
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Sexy View Post
    BIG holds his liquor well. Doesn't bring a knife to a gun fight. Feels he has a mastery of the english language. Though he can be somewhat macho, he feels it isn't excessive.

    Guess it's a good thing BIG is latino and not hispanic.

    Subservient women, BIG knows quite few, from all ethnic groups, who do and don't fit that profile.
    I don't know about mastery of the English language.

    BIG doesn't seem to have come to understand the use of the first person...

  6. #6
    JLK's Avatar
    JLK
    JLK is offline Protecting Those That Can't Protect Themselves
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    06-23-06
    Location
    memphis
    Posts
    1,606
    Rep Power
    1388294
    sounds like it's cultural awareness training to me. I don't see how any of the factual points listed show racial profiling.


    "A strong man stands up for himself. A stronger man stands up for others."
    Ben

    The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented
    on his wearing his sidearm. "Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you
    expecting trouble?" "No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have
    brought my rifle."
    (just stole this one hope you don't mind)


    The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant,
    it is just that they know so much that isn't so.
    President Ronald Reagan



  7. #7
    Big Sexy's Avatar
    Big Sexy is offline Not your mothers BIG SEXY
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    12-09-05
    Location
    In Denial
    Posts
    671
    Rep Power
    617750
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    BIG doesn't seem to have come to understand the use of the first person...
    BIG no need this mysterious first person you speak of. Unless of course she's willing to pay BIG's bills.
    Don't Be Afraid To Fail.

    No Tengas Miedo Al Fracaso.



  8. #8
    1*girl Guest
    Umm, hmm. My cousin married a hispanic. All that stuff sounds true to me. I don't see how it's racial profiling, but it still made me laugh lol.

  9. #9
    Radar's Avatar
    Radar is offline We all bleed blue
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-18-06
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    877
    Rep Power
    1234963
    I've heard that many Hispanics, especially Illegal aliens, don't trust banks, and instead carry and/or hide large amounts of cash. I've heard that especially illegal aliens have a tendency to use someone else's Identification in an attempt to pass as a legal resident alien or US citizen.

    I've also heard that Hispanics often know more English than they care to admit, and that they also don't trust cops, because they are used to Mexican cops, so sometimes they will behave in a manor that Mexican cops expect of them, such as jumping out of their vehicle and running up to the police if they get pulled over, even offering cash to the police as a bribe. I've also heard that they distrust cops, doctors, paramedics and even firefighters, as they feel almost anyone in uniform will likely detain them and turn them into INS for deportation.

    I've also heard that most illegal aliens maintain jobs on farms, construction sites, and janitorial/housekeeping jobs.

    Now, is any of that racial profiling? Or more a matter of "Just the Facts"?
    Here Speeder, Speeder, Speeder


    "Oderint dum metuant" - Caligula

    "How come you only call me when someone's dead?"

  10. #10
    1*girl Guest
    Just the facts, dude, just the facts.

  11. #11
    armsmaster270's Avatar
    armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    08-11-07
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    2,441
    Rep Power
    369109
    Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    I've heard that many Hispanics, especially Illegal aliens, don't trust banks, and instead carry and/or hide large amounts of cash. I've heard that especially illegal aliens have a tendency to use someone else's Identification in an attempt to pass as a legal resident alien or US citizen.

    I've also heard that Hispanics often know more English than they care to admit, and that they also don't trust cops, because they are used to Mexican cops, so sometimes they will behave in a manor that Mexican cops expect of them, such as jumping out of their vehicle and running up to the police if they get pulled over, even offering cash to the police as a bribe. I've also heard that they distrust cops, doctors, paramedics and even firefighters, as they feel almost anyone in uniform will likely detain them and turn them into INS for deportation.

    I've also heard that most illegal aliens maintain jobs on farms, construction sites, and janitorial/housekeeping jobs.

    Now, is any of that racial profiling? Or more a matter of "Just the Facts"?

    are you sure you didn't make that up


    Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

    http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

  12. #12
    Virginian's Avatar
    Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Join Date
    12-28-05
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,647
    Rep Power
    8590746
    Sounds like how a lot of Asians don't use banks and are hesitant to call the cops because the police where they're from were so corrupt that they were more harm than help.

 

 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •