Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Standard Dave is offline Constable

Police complaints on the increase

Almost half of complaints against police are allegations of rudeness or neglect, according to a watchdog.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) said annual figures showed a 10% increase in allegations against forces in England and Wales.
    While the number of complaints has risen, there has been a fall in allegations later found to be proven.

Figures showed Bedfordshire Police saw the largest increase in complaints - 40% more than in the previous year.

Overall the watchdog recorded 28,998 cases during 2006-07, 2,700 up on the previous year.
    Complaints have almost doubled since the IPCC began work in 2004. But that rise is largely down to legislative changes which have made it easier for more people to complain about a wider range of issues.

The IPCC said its figures showed that neglect, failure of duty and incivility accounted for 45% of all recorded allegations. Almost half of these complaints were dealt with locally.
    Nick Hardwick, chairman of the IPCC, said while the figures showed the third successive annual rise, the pictures was "stabilising".

"Forces and police authorities need to address the various categories of complaints more effectively," said Mr Hardwick.
    "What are sometimes perceived as relatively minor matters such as incivility and neglect of duty account for almost half of all allegations against police personnel.

"They concern such things as rudeness, not keeping someone informed about a case as promised, and failing to investigate someone's crime properly.
    "But for the law abiding citizen, their contact with the police, whether real or perceived, can have a profound impact on their confidence in the police service as a whole," he said.

Nine police forces saw rises of more than 20% in the number of complaints received - and 10 constabularies saw falls. Surrey Police was the best performing, seeing a 28% drop in complaints against the force. Bedfordshire Police was earlier this year found to be the worst performing force in an unofficial league table based on Home Office figures.

The IPCC said almost half of all complaints were resolved locally by the force but 30% were sent on for further investigation. Of those formally investigated nearly nine out of 10 were found to be unsubstantiated and one in ten substantiated - a slight improvement on the previous year.

Jan Berry, chairman of the Police Federation of England and Wales, which represents rank-and-file officers, said that the figures needed to be seen in context.

"The fact that only one in ten of these investigated complaints were substantiated is extremely significant," said Ms Berry.
    "When you consider there are 140,000 police officers in England and Wales, and that a primary function of our role will place us in conflict with individuals, then 1,376 substantiated complaints in a year is a low figure," she said.

Cambridgeshire Deputy Chief Constable John Feavyour, who is responsible for complaints at the Association of Chief Police Officers, said the rise showed the public were more confident that their allegations would be taken seriously/
    "Today we see more criminals being caught, more convictions and record numbers of police officers on our streets," said Mr Feavyour.
    "The smaller number of more serious complaints, substantiated or otherwise, provide real opportunities to learn from errors and mistakes," he added.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7094251.stm

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    The first person that ever tried to complain about me, was arrested for being Drunk and Incapable in a police station. Happy days, we were poor but we were happy.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Last one on our shift was against a Welsh officer who jokingly told a person from Scotland that he wasn't talking to them as they'd just "thrashed his team at rugby"

N.B. He's consequently unable to talk to alot of people because of this.

Complaint was for being racist.IPCC found no case to awnser and are now also being complained about!
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    You can bet the fact that only 1300 were substantited will not be the headline or even mentioned.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Welcome to the way that USA handles it boys.... Around here if we write a ticket or take someone to jail it's almost an automatic complaint! I had a disagreement with a nurse in an ER over a case I was working that she felt needed more attention,,, and even she tried to get me in trouble!!

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Normally its cops getting nurses in trouble.

Then having to marry them.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Man View Post
    Welcome to the way that USA handles it boys.... Around here if we write a ticket or take someone to jail it's almost an automatic complaint! I had a disagreement with a nurse in an ER over a case I was working that she felt needed more attention,,, and even she tried to get me in trouble!!
    I was looking at the "incivility" complaint. I'm glad we don't have that here. Many of the folks we deal with act like you are speaking a foreign language if you try to be civil to them.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    About a week ago I got a complaint of "Over Patrolling" a street. I recorded the dopers complaint on my in car camera. I was sitting in an area that I had received complaints from other citizens of drug activity (also recorded) in this area. So I would always finish up my paperwork while sitting in the area. This complaining doper told me that I was harassing her by just sitting in the area. Granted, I had fun with this. Anyway I do the same thing last night 11/13/07. She calls the Sergeant right while I'm talking to her neighbor (a sex offender I keep an eye on). I meet with him and explain things to him and he has a coming to God meeting with her. I pass on the info to the next shift. Two hours after I get off duty I get a call.......guess who went to jail for harboring a fugitive?

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Thread Information