Welcome to the APBWeb.
    HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Santa saying "ho ho ho" not politically correct?

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...l?from=mostpop

Santa fury at 'ho, ho, ho' ban

Article from: Daily Telegraph
    By Janet Fife-Yeomans and Amanda Grant
    November 15, 2007 12:00am

HE is an unlikely revolutionary but this Christmas, Santa is a rebel with a claus.

He is having the last laugh on political correctness - and it's a great big fat belly laugh.

Santas across Sydney are rebelling against attempts to ban their traditional greeting of "ho, ho, ho" in favour of "ha, ha, ha".

Recruitment firm Westaff - which supplies hundreds of Santas across the country - has told its trainees that the "ho ho ho" phrase could frighten children and could even be derogatory to women.

Two Santa hopefuls reportedly quit the course because of the hullabaloo of the ho, ho, ho.

One would-be Santa has told The Daily Telegraph he was taught not to use "ho, ho, ho" because it was too close to the American slang for prostitute. He also quit.

"Gimme a break," Julie Gale, who runs the campaign against sexualising children called Kids Free 2B Kids, said.

"We are talking about little kids who do not understand that "ho, ho, ho" has any other connotation and nor should they.

"Leave Santa alone."

Australian Childhood Foundation chief executive officer Dr Joe Tucci said it was the latest example of political correctness gone mad.

"There is no stronger tradition for children than Santa's ho, ho, ho," Dr Tucci said.

Yesterday department stores David Jones and Myers and the Westfield shopping centre chain moved to reassure children, and their parents, that Santa and his customary greeting was part of Christmas's present as well as Christmas's past.

A David Jones spokeswoman said they had discussed the situation with Westaff and their Santas would not be silenced. "Senior management have assured us that Santas provided to David Jones have not been censored in any way," the spokeswoma said.

At Myer, where Westaff also train the fat men in red suit, Santa could not stop laughing about the suggestion.

"Myer has not directed our Santas to refrain from using 'ho, ho, ho' and believe the expression is an important Christmas tradition," a spokesman for Myer said.

Westfield's Santas are recruited and trained by RegProm Marketing and they will be "ho, ho, ho-ing" a Westfield spokeswoman said.

"Westfield Santas are known for their friendly and welcoming nature and know how to deliver a real festive 'ho, ho, ho'. Sydney mother Maybel Lopez said she wanted her daughter Andria, 5, to grow up hearing Santa's "ho, ho, ho" just like she had and she did not realise it had other connotations.

"It's what Santa has been saying his whole life - my whole life. It is just a normal thing really for him to say 'ho, ho, ho'," Ms Lopez said.

Westaff's national Santa co-ordinator Sari Hegarty wrote to stores explaining the company's position.

"Westaff has been a provider of quality caring Santas for over forty years," Ms Hegarty wrote in an email.

"Part of our advice to our Santas is that they should be mindful of children having their first Santa experience.

"We ask our Santas to try techniques such as lowering their tone of voice and using 'ha, ha, ha' to encourage the children to come forward and meet Santa. We wish you and your family a very merry Christmas."

Westaff national operations manager Greg Jansz said it was "misleading" to say the company had banned Santa's traditional greeting and it was being left up to the discretion of Santa himself.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    "We ask our Santas to try techniques such as lowering their tone of voice and using 'ha, ha, ha' to encourage the children to come forward and meet Santa. We wish you and your family a very merry Christmas."

That will just make kids feel bad that Santa is laughing at them!

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Look out, Jolly Green Giant, you're next!!!
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

2525 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I always thought living in a world totally sterilized with political correctness would be so much fun.
    "The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly."

"The pacifist is as surely a traitor to his country and to humanity as is the most brutal wrongdoer. "

“Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.”

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    That has got to be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Unreal.....but yet, this somehow doesn't suprise me.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

1*girl Guest
    Leave Christmas ALONE! ALL of it! Good grief!

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Oh holy hell. People, get a grip. Only people that would be offended by Santa saying "Ho Ho Ho!" are women who would normally be called that anyhow.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Oh holy hell. People, get a grip. Only people that would be offended by Santa saying "Ho Ho Ho!" are women who would normally be called that anyhow.
    I don't know, Ducky - those women might think he's looking for company and make him an offer.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I don't know, Ducky - those women might think he's looking for company and make him an offer.
    Wasn't that part of the plot for "Bad Santa"?
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    What next?? We already can't hear kids sing the old Christmas Carols because someone might be offended by them.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

Illiy is offline Corporal
    I heard that on the radio this morning...

**shakes head**

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    i can't BELIEVE how stupid this is. Santa has been saying 'ho' for a LOT longer that we've been using it as a term for prostitutes.

even with that aside, this stupid liberal bullshit is going to be the ruin of this great country!

signed,

seriously annoyed at stupidity.

hush29 is offline Corporal
    Un-freakin-believable. This actually kinda pisses me off.
    It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    Speaking of Santa and his 'Ho's

"Stupid should hurt."

lynnz05 is offline Corporal
    Gay
    What I say is my opinion, not my employers or that of my academic institution.

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    I think that chestnuts roasting on an open fire is degrading to men

deputy29 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Those women just need to remember Santa only comes once a year.

Thread Information