Welcome to the APBWeb.
    BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO

Atheists Sue Over Road Crosses For Troopers Killed In Line Of Duty

A group of atheists in Salt Lake City is taking on the State of Utah and the Utah Highway Patrol over the law enforcement agency's use of crosses on roadways to memorialize troopers killed in the line of duty. The lawsuit has triggered a debate about whether a cross is an appropriate way of honoring troopers killed in the line of duty. The American atheists filing the lawsuit said they respect the sacrifices the troopers have made, but they are offended by the used of what they call a religious symbol to honor them.
    "Government should not endorse religion in general, nor should a government endorse a particular religion," attorney Brain Barnard said. "For a Jew to look at it, for a Muslim to look at it, for a Buddhist to look at it, they are not going to say that's a neutral symbol." There are about a dozen of the crosses all around Utah, with each one remembering a trooper who lost his life while on duty.
    A spokesman for the Utah Highway Patrol said the crosses are an international sign of memorial and not just a religious symbol. "These were the people we have known in the past and we need to memorialize those people," Utah Highway Patrol Sgt. Todd Royce said.
    The attorney for those filing the lawsuit says it's inappropriate for the crosses to be on government land and the crosses should not have the UHP logo on them.

This lawsuit was filed in 2005 and the judge is expected to rule in the next few days. This is one of the memorials put up

bufford408 is offline Just green and furry all over
    It takes alot of faith to be an atheist.
    The opinions of my posts are the sole responsibilty of my employer due to the fact that they have totally and completely warped my mind.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I should think that if the officer/deputy/trooper was Christian, it would be an appropriate symbol. Anything done in remembrance of the one who lost their life should be done in the symbol of their faith, not the ones who may or may not view it.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

iso607 is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    I should think that if the officer/deputy/trooper was Christian, it would be an appropriate symbol. Anything done in remembrance of the one who lost their life should be done in the symbol of their faith, not the ones who may or may not view it.
    +1

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Fuck 'em.

If they order it taken down, I bet some Utah coppers will erect them on their lawns. I would.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    What doesn't offend someone anymore?

"Stupid should hurt."

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    It's stupid.

Arlington is public property, and even the witches get whatever sort of emblem they want on their publicly owned stone.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

213th is offline Solipsist
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Fuck 'em.

If they order it taken down, I bet some Utah coppers will erect them on their lawns. I would.
    Agreed. I cannot think of a more universal sign of memorial then a cross. I see a cross with a name on it, I automatically assume that someone died there, and I don't assume that they were any particular religion. All of that aside, I don't fucking care if these atheists are butthurt over it. If they want a say in what kind of memorial is used, lets see them start sacrificing their lives first.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

PeterJasonMN Guest
    Instead of crosses maybe the memorials should look vaguely like outstretched middle fingers.

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    A group of atheists in Salt Lake City is taking on the State of Utah and the Utah Highway Patrol over the law enforcement agency's use of crosses on roadways to memorialize troopers killed in the line of duty............

"Government should not endorse religion in general, nor should a government endorse a particular religion," attorney Brain Barnard said..............

The attorney for those filing the lawsuit says it's inappropriate for the crosses to be on government land and the crosses should not have the UHP logo on them.

If they make the government take them down I say we get a PRIVATE collection of cash together from the members here on LEF to send to the Troopers to put the same or BIGGER memorial up in place of the ones taken down! It would be private and the Atheists can kiss our collective private asses!

Around here they are all over,, and they are for anyone killed near the roadway or by a car....

Terminator is offline BANNED
    It was on the news last night stating that the families of the fallen officers are the ones who paid for the crosses and came up with the idea. So, knowing that it's the families wish, why would they not allow these crosses to stay. Simply pathetic.

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterJasonMN View Post
    Instead of crosses maybe the memorials should look vaguely like outstretched middle fingers.

Amen to that PJMN. Great thought.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

carolina is offline Master Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by bufford408 View Post
    It takes alot of faith to be an atheist.

Well said!

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. - Leo Buscaglia

hush29 is offline Corporal
    What a load of shit! Damn 'em! If they don't like it, get the hell out.
    It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    Query: If atheists and agnostics do not believe in a Diety or Greater being, why does it bother them that others do?

They constantly abhor symbolism related to a Grand Creator and those who are religiously inclined.

I don't believe I have ever been the target of their outlandish behavior and disrespect; but, if I were, they had best be seeking help from someone because I am going to clean their clock in an effort protect my right to believe!
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    Query: If atheists and agnostics do not believe in a Diety or Greater being, why does it bother them that others do?

They constantly abhor symbolism related to a Grand Creator and those who are religiously inclined.

I don't believe I have ever been the target of their outlandish behavior and disrespect; but, if I were, they had best be seeking help from someone because I am going to clean their clock in an effort protect my right to believe!
    Not all of them are like that, by any means. Just a small percentage, just as there are a small percentage of people of faith who feel the need to persecute those who don't believe. It's always the ones who yell the loudest that are paid the most attention.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Flapjack794 is offline Professional wrestling is not fake!
    I say if they dont want to look at the crosses along the road that is just a small "thank you for your and service and as a memorial dedicated to the ones that payed the altimate price" dont look at them. Give me a break, these radical groups who dont want anyone to show a small sign of support or rememberance for anything can screw off. As an officer, we have to respect you right to protest in any public place, let us remeber our heros in any public place also.

OXCOPS is offline Usual Suspect
    Some people aren't happy unless they are bitching about something. They all want diversity, just as long as everyone believes what they believe.

Fucking retarded.

GumbyDammit is offline Holster Sniffer
    We have three in our city and I don't ever drive by without thinking of the sacrifice each made and how careful I need to be. Two are for UHP Troopers and one is for an officer from our dept. only about 6 yrs ago. He was killed around the corner from where I lived at the time, about 15 minutes after I passed there on my way home from the last day of my academy. It has made an everlasting impression on me.

I hate that these bastards can take a one time drive through our city and think they have a right to dictate how we live and what we hold sacred.

I'd be happy to place one in my front yard if they don't like it, or better yet, buy a 1'x1' square of property from the city in the middle of the park to post it on. I'm sure the city council would cut me a deal on a piece of land that size.
    The other night there was a loud argument in the hall outside my apartment while I was trying to sleep. I went out and told them they better leave or I was gonna use some Kung-Fu...

THAT scared them off...

Plus I was totally nekkid and holding a gun.

Thread Information