Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

North Carolina Deputy shot by 73 year old, escaped death from wearing bullet-resistant vest

(Stoneville, NC) - - Shortly before 9:30 last night, Deputy Kevin Harris responded to a noise complaint of loud music at 250 Rodgers Lane.
    After meeting with the complainant, Deputy Harris went to the aforementioned location. He then walked to the rear of the residence and met 73-year-old John Fairbanks near the back door.
    The deputy identified himself and approached Fairbanks. The deputy observed something in Fairbanks' hand and as he was just a few feet away, Fairbanks raised his hand and discharged a small caliber handgun at Deputy Harris.
    The Deputy was shot in his upper torso, but fortunately his (bullet proof) vest protected him. Deputy Harris immediately went into a defensive posture and left that immediate area. It was during that time he heard a second shot. He retreated to a neighbor’s residence and someone there called 911 for assistance and offered aid.
    At that time both Eden Police Officers and a Stoneville Police Officer joined other deputies at the incident location. Sheriff Page was contacted and was able to place a telephone call to the Fairbanks residence. He instructed Mr. Fairbanks to lay down his pistol, and exit the residence in a safe manner. He did, and was promptly arrested by deputies outside the residence for shooting Deputy Harris.
    While law enforcement was on the outside the residence attempting to secure the area and during these previously described events, another neighbor came to the scene.
    James Walker Wells, 63 of 240 Rodgers Lane came armed with a .357 revolver. He refused to comply with the commands of these officers and was also arrested. He was charged with carrying a concealed gun and resisting a public officer. He was transported to the magistrate’s office and made a $2,500 bond.
    Deputy Harris was taken to Morehead Hospital for treatment. He was later released and should return to work soon.
    John Henry Fairbanks has been charged with attempted first degree murder. His bond is $500,000 and he is currently in the Rockingham County Detention Facility.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Jeez, what's with these guys?
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Law enforcement in North Carolina has always been one of the most dangerous (but usually unnoticed) states in this country to work. Currently in 2007 we have lost eight officers in this state, first only to Florida, and Texas, who have both had an awful year . North Carolina has had more LEO's killed in the line of duty in 2007 than Arizona, California, Washington DC, California, New York...etc.

Their are people out there, and they want to kill you. Officer safety, officer safety, officer safety. Take all threats seriously, no matter the age!

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    This is your neck of the woods Term, do you know if these two had and connections to right wing crazy groups. The kind that think that police have no authority over them types?

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    This is your neck of the woods Term, do you know if these two had any connections to right wing crazy groups. The kind that think that police have no authority over them types?
    I'm not aware of any connection, however their attitude, mentality, and behavior is typical of what we as North Carolina LEO's deal with. Just ask Conalabu. In a one month span I had two different people drive to my agency and challenge me to a fight because I pissed them off. I almost shot two intoxicated illegal immigrants a couple of weeks ago, after I ended up in a fight with them. I could go on and on. The people are fucking crazy here. I don't know how else to explain it. My work experience has led me to be a big proponent of officer safety. Too many officers underestimate the citizens they deal with, based on the environment, age, disability...etc, and end up a statistic.

bufford408 is offline Just green and furry all over
    There is never anything wrong with a short retreat so as to regroup but I'm kinda suprised the old man is not laying on a stainless table somewhere with his juices flowing down a drain.
    The opinions of my posts are the sole responsibilty of my employer due to the fact that they have totally and completely warped my mind.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Crazy stuff, Term. Be carefull.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    I agree with Term. A lot of the tight family bonds that make them feel like they have certain rights or privelages. I have never seen so many people who were so insistent that they knew the law better than I do every freaking day. To the point that they will fight you over what they feel they know. Scary shit somedays. The thing that really gets me is that most of us respond to calls solo with nearest back up a minimum of ten minutes away. No matter the type of call, I am in alone a majority of the time.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    I agree with Term. A lot of the tight family bonds that make them feel like they have certain rights or privelages.
    Must be all that inbreeding down in them thar woods!
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by bufford408 View Post
    There is never anything wrong with a short retreat so as to regroup but I'm kinda suprised the old man is not laying on a stainless table somewhere with his juices flowing down a drain.
    I was hoping the story would end that way with the officer returning fire..... POS old man.....

You can't let your guard down like Term says... In FL there was a K-9 Deputy killed a few years ago by a 75 yo man (or something close to that) when the Marion Co Deputies were dispatched by family to check on the 'ol guys welfare... not even an arrest situation!

carolina is offline Master Officer
    Having grown up here, and basically with a brother that was on the opposite side of law enforcement before he died sometime back you are absolutely correct Term. I don't get it either. I grew up in Kannapolis, and it was the largest unincorporated "town" there was ... I think they've finally became a city now.

They used to refer to it as little Chicago ... because just as Term said ... people are freaking crazy, and where I'm at now in Burke County isn't much better ... lol. They believe that if my grand daddy said so, it is gospel and aint no badge or no other person in the world going to change that, period.

Stay safe guys! I know the crazy people you have to deal with on a daily basis. I'm also surprised that the officer didn't return fire.

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. - Leo Buscaglia

K9brando is offline Fun In The Snow!
    Verified LEO
    They call my town "little Durham" because we have about the same crime rate. However, we do not have the shootings that Durham has but we do have our fair share of the rest. It is starting to get really bad around here.

Fellow North Carolinian.
    I'm ready for spring!

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    It's not just NC, SC has the same mindset. It's just insane, really.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Thread Information