This happened maybe 5 miles from my house... The police department sent out cell phone alerts yesterday telling us that all I-35E traffic was being routed through town

POSTED: 2:14 pm CST November 15, 2007
UPDATED: 2:24 pm CST November 16, 2007

FORT WORTH, Texas -- Authorities said Thursday the driver of a tanker truck has died after his vehicle crashed and exploded, closing several Interstate 35E lanes at Swisher Road near Lake Dallas, officials said.

Police said 27-year-old Matthew Webb died from his injuries from the crash, which happened earlier in the day. Webb's brother-in-law, Roland Mattern, was listed in critical condition at Parkland Hospital in Dallas. Both men were initially transported by CareFlite to Parkland Hospital.

The crash took place near Swisher Road and I-35E in Lake Dallas at about 2 p.m.
Traffic Update
Video Report

Lonnie Haschel with the Texas Department of Transportation said the truck was traveling northbound on I-35E when it struck a Mercedes. The driver of the truck steered to the left and struck the concrete barrier. The truck then flipped over the barrier and exploded.

Officials said the truck was carrying diesel fuel.

Emergency personnel battled the fire for more than two hours before the blaze was extinguished. The crash caused extensive delays during the evening rush hour.

TXDOT workers reopened the highway at 9:30 p.m.

Witnesses told NBC 5 that one person was seen on fire, jumping from the cab on the truck.

The truck is owned by Taylor Oil Company out of Fort Worth.
NBC 5 reported that Webb leaves behind a pregnant wife.

EXPLOSION ON I-35E