Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO

Hi Sheriff...er Chief I mean.

Sheriff is new Chief for the Capitol City

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pb...NEWS/711170381

Jackson Mayor Frank Melton on Friday named Hinds County Sheriff Malcolm McMillin as the city's chief of police, ending two days of speculation about who would be in charge of the state's largest municipal police force. McMillin's appointment still must be approved by the City Council.

AT A GLANCE

Mayor Frank Melton's arguments for consolidation include:

Sheriff's deputies would begin making misdemeanor arrests inside city limits, and Jackson Police would be able to work in Hinds County.

It would provide consistency of leadership for the Jackson Police Department, which has had 12 chiefs since 1988.

Duplicated services would be eliminated.

A combined law enforcement would be able to receive larger federal and state grants.

In recent months, Frank Melton and Malcolm McMillin publicly went after one another.
    McMillin accused Melton of putting someone up against him in his re-election bid for Hinds County sheriff. Melton denied it, and the longtime friends even had it out on a call-in radio show.
    Twice within the past year, Melton has had to surrender to the sheriff.
    Yet, there they were on Friday, at the same podium at Jackson City Hall, acting like the best of chums in front of a full room, saying friends sometimes disagree but that they now were standing together in the best interest of the city.
    Should Jackson Mayor FrankMelton be re-elected?
    Melton announced during a news conference that McMillin - pending City Council confirmation - had agreed to be chief of the Jackson Police Department. McMillin will stay on as sheriff as well.
    Melton promised to never meddle in police business. McMillin, in turn, said he wouldn't have accepted the job otherwise.
    "I won't tell him how to be the mayor, and he won't tell me how to be the chief," McMillin said.
    The two signed an agreement that gives McMillin "sole discretion and authority over the Jackson Police Department in its day- to-day operations and management, to include, but not limited to, all personnel and enforcement matters."
    Melton's move is historic, in that no other major city in Mississippi has tried this sort of thing. Melton and McMillin contend this could be the first step toward consolidation of the two law enforcement agencies.
    "We have (crime) problems here in Jackson. He will have the resources to work it out," Melton said.
    The mayor's selection also is a public relations coup for him; he created upheaval recently within JPD ranks after promoting his former and current bodyguards. Shirlene Anderson, the person Melton appointed chief when he took office in 2005, was removed Wednesday and offered another job within the administration. Anderson, who tangled with Melton over some of his recent JPD promotions, has yet so say whether she will accept a reassignment as emergency services coordinator.
    Yet before the final handshake between Melton and McMillin, the council expects to have its say. "I would personally not move on any confirmation hearings at all until the legal issues had been answered and had been satisfied," council President Leslie Burl McLemore said. "It would be a move in the wrong direction until we get these legal implications settled."
    McMillin can hold the dual roles, according to the state attorney general's office. Others wondered how McMillin can handle two jobs, two budgets and a combined 884 employees. He said it would not be a problem.
    McMillin, sheriff since 1991 and extremely popular, said there would be strict financial controls for each department.
    "There's a fiscal officer in each department, so the trick is don't co-mingle," he said.
    JPD has 409 officers and a $46 million budget. The sheriff oversees a $17.5 million budget and 475 employees.
    McMillin said he took over at JPD on Friday - Lt. Gerald Jones had been the interim chief - and would evaluate the department before making personnel changes. His city salary has not been worked out. Anderson made more than $114,000 annually.
    McMillin, 63, of Clinton is entering his fifth term as sheriff and earns $105,000 a year.
    A former JPD patrolman, he said to expect changes within JPD's senior ranks. Asked if he'd hire Anderson, McMillin said, "No."
    A priority, he said, will be to evaluate how the two departments can better work together to eliminate duplicated efforts.
    "We're going to try new tactics. We're going to reassign personnel. We are going to prioritize how we're dealing with this crime within the community," McMillin said.
    Juan Cloy, president of the Jackson Police Officers Association, said members are "up in the air" about McMillin. "I don't have anything negative to say. I think in a week or so we'll be able to tell if it's working," he said.
    If confirmed, McMillin would become the city's 13th chief since 1988 and Melton's second.
    Ridgeland Police Chief Jimmy Houston was a JPD officer when McMillin was on the force."I think it's perfect, perfect for the city and the county," he said of McMillin's appointment. "I know we'll have a great relationship."
    City Attorney Sarah O'Reilly-Evans had not been involved until Friday, after the council got wind of the announcement.
    "At the request of the council president, I've had some preliminary discussions with the attorney general's office and the Ethics Commission. And because of the importance of this matter, we are putting those matters in writing to them and requesting expedited review," O'Reilly-Evans said.
    Melton's personal attorney, former Mayor Dale Danks Jr., who stood with the mayor and McMillin at the news conference, said they anticipate no problems.
    "There may be some legislation in this (upcoming) session that will enable the determination of the final consolidation efforts. It's done all over the country," Danks said.
    State Rep. Credell Calhoun, D-Jackson, said,"I'm sure the Legislature would look hard at trying to do anything to assist Jackson in their crime-fighting efforts."
    But the announcement is not sitting well with Hinds County District 2 Supervisor Doug Anderson. While he's not against the idea, he's disturbed that neither the mayor nor the sheriff formally approached the Board of Supervisors about the decision. The county controls the sheriff's budget. But the sheriff is an elected official.
    Anderson and McMillin have tussled for years over the sheriff's budget and other issues. Anderson, on the other hand, has been a Melton supporter.
    Melton and McMillin said Friday that they have been friends for more than 20 years. But the controversy between them went public in recent months. Melton complained about the arrests, treatment and alleged "singling-out" of young men he mentored who were locked up in the Hinds Count Detention Center, a facility McMillin manages.
    The mayor himself, before being cleared of felony charges related to the destruction of an alleged drug house on Ridgeway Street, spent a night in the Detention Center. Melton was processed another time there.
    And during this election season, Melton played host to a fundraiser for McMillin's opponent, Tyrone Lewis, a Jackson police officer who weeks ago went public with the claim that Melton was going to name him assistant police chief and oust Anderson. The mayor denied he had made that promise. Melton recently promoted Lewis to deputy chief in charge of training and recruitment.
    Former Jackson Police Chief Robert Moore, the chief before Anderson, said the mayor's choice is akin to saying that no one within JPD could manage it.
    "It's not a police problem. It's the mayor's problem," he said, heatedly. "He has caused all that problem for the Police Department. He wanted to be chief but couldn't be chief. And he couldn't choose the right person (meaning Anderson). He is the culprit.
    "There doesn't have to be a white sheriff to come in and clean up what he has caused."
    To comment on this story, call Arnold Lindsay at (601) 961-7272, Heather Civil at (601) 961-7067 or Kathleen Baydala at (601) 961-7262.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Oh, that sounds like fun!!!!

But on another note, if they could make a go of integrating the two departments, they might create something very good. I have been advocating the joining of SPD and the King County Sheriff's Office for years. Would save a ton of money, better serve the public and create an economy of scale that would allow an increase in field troops.

Be intersting to see.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

OXCOPS is offline Usual Suspect
    Frank Melton is a certifiable nutjob. I am waiting for the FBI to start nailing federal corruption charges to his ass. It's funny to see people still talk about Jackson like it's a wonderful place to live.

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    But on another note, if they could make a go of integrating the two departments, they might create something very good. I have been advocating the joining of SPD and the King County Sheriff's Office for years. Would save a ton of money, better serve the public and create an economy of scale that would allow an increase in field troops.
    That'll never happen. Too many egos involved. SPD brass will never usurp to a Sheriff running things. Hell, they get pissy when County metro cops do some work in their beloved Latteland.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    That's why most cities around here don't let their mayors do shit - About all they can do is break tie votes on the City Council and run the Council meetings

Our Chiefs generally work for the City Manager, not the politicians.

Technically I think our mayors can also issue county-wide arrest warrants, which is a scary thought, but I've never heard of any dumb enough to do that.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Thread Information