Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Do you think what this officer did was okay under the circumstances?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 5.41%
  • No

35 94.59%
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Illegal immigrant breaks law to become Milaukee Police Officer

Oscar Ayala-Cornejo followed the path that leads many red-blooded Americans to law enforcement. His family lived next to a crack house in Milwaukee, where he says he often heard gunshots and came home to find thieves had stolen the things that his father had worked hard to provide for his mother, older brother and sister.
    So he got excited when two officers visited his high school to recruit police aides. The doe-eyed 15-year-old decided he wanted to become a cop, maybe make things a little better than he had it growing up.
    "I wanted to change my neighborhood, to change other people's neighborhoods, so they could feel safe, you know," says Ayala, now 25. "Because I didn't feel safe."
    He wanted that, it turns out, badly enough to break the law.
    Though Ayala's family moved to Wisconsin in 1992 from Guadalajara, Mexico, he says he didn't realize until after he'd made up his mind to wear a badge that he was in the country illegally. He didn't know it until his father, Salvador, told him that if he wanted to be an officer, he would have to go back to Mexico and apply for citizenship, a process that can take at least 10 years.
    Ayala cried and soon his father, mother and brother wept, too.
    A few days later, his father found another option - one that would help Ayala get his dream job, but also would take it away and could cost him his freedom.
    His father's cousin, Carmen, who lived in Chicago, would allow Ayala to take the identity of her son, Jose Morales, who was born five months after Ayala in Illinois and died of stomach cancer when he was about 7.
    "That was the only option we had if we wanted to stay together," Ayala told The Associated Press recently.
    Before his junior year, Ayala - calling himself Morales - switched high schools. The 16-year-old cut his hair, replaced his glasses with contacts and got braces.
    In public, he called his parents aunt and uncle and his brother and sister cousins.
    It wasn't easy adjusting to a new name and birthday. But the toughest part was not identifying his mami and papi in front of others.
    "That really hurt," he says. "Those are my parents."
    He was nervous that his true identity would be discovered when he applied to be a police aide at 17, but he had also established a work history at two clothing stores and an electronics store.
    After he graduated in 2001, he entered the police aide program and stopped looking over his shoulder.
    "Everybody at work, people at school, everyone I met would call me Jose so eventually that was me," he says. "Besides my family, no one else called me Oscar."
    He became an officer in December 2004, about 10 months after his father died of leukemia. Eventually, he worked in the same district as his brother, Alex, a fellow officer who was born in the U.S.
    And he found it rewarding.
    Ayala and his partner once took a knife from a suicidal man on Christmas, he says. Another time, he found a 2-year-old boy walking alone and went door to door until he found his parents. He was helping people, and doing it by the book - except for his secret.
    Ayala says he never told anyone about his true identity. But on Feb. 20, an anonymous caller informed Special Agent Russell Dykema of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement that officer Jose Morales was really Oscar Ayala-Cornejo, an illegal immigrant.
    Dykema spent more than two months comparing data in immigration databases and school records. He even compared yearbook photos.
    Ayala was arrested May 31 by two sergeants who took him to the training academy and eventually the immigration office with shackles and handcuffs, where Dykema and another agent explained what they knew.
    "I thought I was going to retire and live happily ever after, pay my taxes and all," he says. "It didn't cross my mind at all ... not until that moment."
    He sat in jail for a few days, his mind racing: "Who told? Why are they doing this to me? What will happen next? What will happen to my family? How long will I be here? Will someone know I'm a cop in here? What would my father think?"
    When he couldn't answer the questions, he started sobbing.
    Ayala was charged with falsely representing himself to be a citizen. Two weeks later he agreed to a plea deal.
    He could get a year in a federal prison when he is sentenced Monday, or he could get probation.
    Assistant U.S. Attorney Mel Johnson said Ayala's position gave him access to weapons and confidential information, although there was no indication he had abused either privilege.
    "When our identity systems lack integrity it's a serious issue," ICE spokesman Tim Counts said. "It's a community safety issue. It's a national security issue."
    No one from the Milwaukee Police Department is commenting because Ayala is no longer employed there.
    His brother likely will be out of a job soon, too.
    The department fired Alex Ayala-Cornejo, a five-year veteran, in September for withholding information about his brother. He's appealing.
    Oscar Ayala once wondered who the informant was and what the motives were. He didn't think he had an enemy.
    Now, he accepts the consequences.
    After he leaves prison, he will be permanently deported. His girlfriend of a year plans to follow him to Mexico.
    "The cards that we were dealt just weren't the best ones," he said. "If I wouldn't have done this, I would still be in Mexico waiting to see if I could ever see my family."

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    Too bad. I had to get my citizenship the right way, along with my mother and sister. Also, my wife is currently going through the visa process to come back here the right way also. I have been seperated from my wife for almost two years because of this, so I do not really feel sorry for his ass.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

Illiy is offline Corporal
    I can understand his dream of wanting something so bad... but the one thing that has been drilled into me while I have been in school and during the hiring process is honesty and integrity and in my opinion he compromised both.

No, it wasn't okay.

Hannah87 is offline Giggidy... Giggidy..
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Illiy View Post
    I can understand his dream of wanting something so bad... but the one thing that has been drilled into me while I have been in school and during the hiring process is honesty and integrity and in my opinion he compromised both.

No, it wasn't okay.
    Ditto. 110%!
    May you rest in peace Daddy and may you never hurt again. I love you and miss you and can't wait to see you again.

12/12/44- 2/26/09

LawnMM is offline Oppressor of Crackheads
    Could have married his citizen girlfriend a little sooner and accomplished the same goal legally.

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    I admire his tenacity to seek out and complete a dream to become a LEO but what he did was illegal! And, that cannot be tolerated. I hope some good will befall him and he seeks lawful methods to reacquire his position.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    Screw him, he should be in jail. In some ways he is no different than all of the gang bangers in my 'hood who want to become cops... Just because you want it badly, doesn't mean you are elligible for the position!

I mean this goes far beyond a simple ommision during the background investigation... This guy went as far as commiting several felonies to get the job (not to mention being in the USA illegally to begin with!).

So Fla Cop is offline Trunk Monkey Supporter
    Verified LEO
    I am surprised that NYPD hasn't hired him yet...
    September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    He screwed up. And, it seems, no one even looked into different ways he could have legally obtained citizenship, like military service.

I've got no sympathy for him. He lied to get hired. He broke the law in several ways to be able to enforce the law. Does that make much sense?

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I look at it this way: If this guy was an uneducated, non-English speaking, itinerant bean picker who slipped across the border and never bothered to assimilate into our culture, he would not get deported, jailed or anything else. This guy at least tried to do something with his life that would give back to his community and the country. That doesn't excuse what he did, but let's put it in perspective. How many low-life, dirt-hugging, oxygen thieving POS have you arrested or seen arrested that were illegal immigrants, and a week later they are back on the streets hanging with their gang-banger buddies?

What pisses us all off over this is that our egos are bruised because someone had the audacity to try to become one of us, and made it for the most part.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Sounds as if whoever brought him here illegally is to blame for the circumstance. However, I do not support his actions. It would set a precedent for anyone illegally in the country.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

CajunYardDawg is offline YOU'RE not right in the head
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by keith720 View Post
    I look at it this way: If this guy was an uneducated, non-English speaking, itinerant bean picker who slipped across the border and never bothered to assimilate into our culture, he would not get deported, jailed or anything else. This guy at least tried to do something with his life that would give back to his community and the country. That doesn't excuse what he did, but let's put it in perspective. How many low-life, dirt-hugging, oxygen thieving POS have you arrested or seen arrested that were illegal immigrants, and a week later they are back on the streets hanging with their gang-banger buddies?

What pisses us all off over this is that our egos are bruised because someone had the audacity to try to become one of us, and made it for the most part.
    +1

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    I have so many issues with this on so many levels I will not comment....
    dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass
    Life is to short not to experience Lazy Fed
    ___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-
    O RLY?? YA RLY NO WAI!!!!

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

Hannah87 is offline Giggidy... Giggidy..
    Verified LEO

+++++++++++++++++++++!!!!
    May you rest in peace Daddy and may you never hurt again. I love you and miss you and can't wait to see you again.

12/12/44- 2/26/09

Evans is offline Term # 2
    I admire his passion.. but breaking the law, to enforce the law? hmm seems a bit hippocritical...

adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO

My ego doesn't play into my viewpoint at all on this issue. It's called integrity - something he and his brother clearly lack. What they did in their conspiracy was wrong, plain and simple. Yes, when he was brought here illegally, he was a naive child. Then, he became an adult who, with clear intent, broke the law he claims to be so passionate about enforcing. His actions may have harmed the criminal investigations of many others, not to metion the other trickle-down ramifications. I could go on, but I'd just mostly be preaching to the choir. No, my ego is fine, thank you.
    The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

PeterJasonMN Guest
    While it SEEMS he was actually in it for the "right" reasons (as opposed to perhaps someone from AQ, Black Panthers, the mob etc etc), it still comes down to A-He didn't want to take the time to come here legally, B-He lied.

Period.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    What a great thing he did, Mexico should be honored to take him back.

Doc_Holliday is offline California Dreaming...
    can we add not only a no, but an OH HELL F**KING NO?
    500 fights, that's the number I figured when I was a kid. 500 street fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate tough guy. You need them for experience. To develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then, after, you realize that's what you are.

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    Honestly, I don't see it as an ego issue, or anything like that. It is no different than if anyone else lied to get hired (perhaps someone who was a gang member, or a burglar in the past... or maybe a meth head who cooked up a new ID when he/she was staying up all night?).

Point is, this job requires integrity... and this chump proved that he lacks it. His circumstances involved immigration, and the media paints this picture of a caring young man who wanted to "make a difference". But, maybe he was just in it for the paycheck? Or the power? Or the badge bunnies? (God knows some of those types have slipped through the cracks in the hiring process in the past in a lot of departments).

It is easy to paint this sympathetic picture of the poor immigrant who was trying to better his community, but I'm not sold on the idea. He could have done this all legally, if he had the paitience and the determination to do so. He didn't.

Thread Information