Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Illiy is offline Corporal

Illegal immigrant rescues boy in desert

Illegal Immigrant Rescues Boy in Desert

By TERRY TANG,
    AP
    Posted: 2007-11-23 21:00:52
    PHOENIX (Nov. 23) - A 9-year-old boy looking for help after his mother crashed their van in the southern Arizona desert was rescued by a man entering the U.S. illegally, who stayed with him until help arrived the next day, an official said.

The 45-year-old woman, who eventually died while awaiting help, had been driving on a U.S. Forest Service road in a remote area just north of the Mexican border when she lost control of her van on a curve on Thanksgiving, Sheriff Tony Estrada said.

The van vaulted into a canyon and landed 300 feet from the road, he said. The woman, from Rimrock, north of Phoenix, survived the impact but was pinned inside, Estrada said.

Her son, unhurt but disoriented, crawled out to get help and was found about two hours later by Jesus Manuel Cordova, 26, of Magdalena de Kino in the northern Mexican state of Sonora. Unable to pull the mother out, he comforted the boy while they waited for help.

The woman died a short time later.

"He stayed with him, told him that everything was going to be all right," Estrada said.

As temperatures dropped, he gave him a jacket, built a bonfire and stayed with him until about 8 a.m. Friday, when hunters passed by and called authorities, Estrada said. The boy was flown to University Medical Center in Tucson as a precaution but appeared unhurt.

Cordova was taken into custody by Border Patrol agents, who were the first to respond to the call for help. He had been trying to walk into the U.S. when he came across the boy.

The boy and his mother were in the area camping, Estrada said. The woman's husband, the boy's father, had died only two months ago. The names of the woman and her son were not being released until relatives were notified.

Cordova likely saved the boy, Estrada said, and his actions should remind people not to quickly characterize illegal immigrants as criminals.

"They do get demonized for a lot of reasons, and they do a lot of good. Obviously this is one example of what an individual can do," he said.

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    May God bless the mother, the boy and Mr Cordova. Mr Cordova is owed a debt of gratitude by a number of people and hopefully a law maker in AZ will do something to assist in his immigration.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    I'll start by saying, that I am sad for the boy's loss, and glad that the man did right by him and stayed with him through the night.

Quote Originally Posted by Illiy View Post
    The 45-year-old woman, who eventually died while awaiting help, had been driving on a U.S. Forest Service road in a remote area just north of the Mexican border when she lost control of her van on a curve on Thanksgiving, Sheriff Tony Estrada said.
    Sounds like she was operating a load vehicle to me.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Cross240 is offline Temporarily Civilianized
    Ya know, would be a nice thought if they border patrol agents kind of turned a blind eye to him entering the country. Several a enter a day, why not let him just pass on through as well? He in fact deserves it..... right?
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter. -- Ernest Hemingway

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    Responded to a winter rollover wreck in a remote spot at about 0200. Freezing fog conrtibuted to the wreck and slowed responders. Lone driver was pinned under car in the ditch. Two illegals drove up, got the driver out, fabricated a C-collar and short spine board from things in their possesson, piled on the blankets, and treated for shock. One of them went to a nearby farmhouse, woke the owner, asked him to call 911. The farmer called and joined them at the scene. Driver was conscious and stable considering the temperatiure. A FD aid unit arrived, loaded the driver, and departed before my arrival. As I rolled up, the farmer was there, no one else. I saw blankets in the ditch by the vehicle. The farmer told me that the two illegals asked him if the police were coming. They said they had to leave; stayed till the ambulance picked up the dirver, and left just after the aid unit. The farmer told me of these two good samaritans and why they left.

The driver, farmer, and I, wished we could thank these two guys,.........but they were in the wind.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Cross240 View Post
    Ya know, would be a nice thought if they border patrol agents kind of turned a blind eye to him entering the country. Several a enter a day, why not let him just pass on through as well? He in fact deserves it..... right?

+1

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Cross240 View Post
    he was doing something illegal and knew it.

he stayed to help a kid, in a situation when most wouldn't...all the while knowing he'd probably be detained and/or deported on sight.

i say give the guy a chance to earn his citizenship legally, maybe a 12 month visa or something, to get things going.

people like that should have an opportunity to become Americans, in my opinion.

sweetpea is offline Master Officer
    Good always comes from Good so hopefully he will get his chance to become a legal citizen, we need more people like him.
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f.../ukbluejw2.gif

"When you feel dog tired at night, it may be because you've growled all day long."

Thread Information