Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

Thumbs up Addison Arms Officers With New Fire Power

PS90 bullpups - Sweet

Video: http://www.myfoxdfw.com/myfox/pages/...tentId=4984197

Last Edited: Monday, 19 Nov 2007, 10:30 PM CST Created: Monday, 19 Nov 2007, 10:30 PM CST

Addisson Arms Officers with New High-Powered Weapons

Powerful new weapons are now in the hands of Addison's police officers. They keep them from being outgunned by crooks.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    Why? Expensive, shoots a round that isn't much better than a .223 and what about spare parts? I have a hell of a time even getting FN to respond to questions.

With money like that to burn . . .

Yeah, I'm not sure why they chose that over a .223 like an AR-15 or M4, either.

The only reason I can think of is if they're planning on getting FN 5.7 pistols too, since it uses the same ammo and would make their pistols armor-piercing with the "good" ammo, but I wonder if the pistol has the knock-down power of a .40, even with the restricted ammo

I wouldn't buy one for myself because civilians can't get the good ammo, but we can get gobs of .223 anywhere, which I suspect is just about as good or better.

But I think it's great that 10 years after North Hollywood and several years after Plano, PD's are finally putting rifles on the street, even though some still haven't. Ahhhm.

(\__/)

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    FN 5-7 as a duty weapon is a bad idea. Too much penetration, not enough stopping power.

And you NEVER carry a round that can go through your vest.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    I never thought of that - But now that you pointed that out, it makes a lot of sense to me.

Of course I overlooked the most obvious reason that they may have gone with the PS90... They may have either got a manufactuer's grant or a great deal on them - Just speculation

(\__/)

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    This is the same weapon issued to the French army and the French Foriegn Legion. It is sorta ok in full auto but I doubt that they issue full auto to street cops. Expensive, exotic and with a round that isn't common in the U.S.

Can't figure what they might have been thinking.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    ...and several years after Plano...
    you're talkin about my old stompin grounds...what happened there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post

Google "Takeover Bandits"

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Car 4 View Post
    This is the same weapon issued to the French army and the French Foriegn Legion. It is sorta ok in full auto but I doubt that they issue full auto to street cops. Expensive, exotic and with a round that isn't common in the U.S.

Can't figure what they might have been thinking.

Car 4

Nope. The FFL and Army is issued the FAMAS 5.56.

They kinda sorta look alike though.
    dlefdal said:
    Ummmm, what if I don't like thumbs in my butt?

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Stargate Command is issued the PS90 however.
    dlefdal said:

Operator13 is offline Just Another Voice
    Not to derail, but is this the Addison just outside of Dallas?

Back in the late 90's didn't they have at least 1 or 2 Volvos they used as patrol cars?
    "The statements and opinions contained in this communication do not necessarily reflect the official position of the Commission regarding these issues."

nsb22 is offline Crazilicious
    They might have went with the FN due to the fact it doesn't "look" scary. The wrong reason to make a purchase decision, but it might be their reasoning.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."
    -- Ambrose Redmoon

The views and postings of NSB22 are in no way shared or supported by NSB22's employers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    Yeah, like Five-O says, the Takeover Bandits - They robbed something like 60 banks throughout this area without getting caught - Amazingly, without ever seriously injuring anyone as far as I know.

They finally went on a machine-gun spree down Jupiter Road after an unmarked police car spotted them about to make another heist, disabling 5 or 6 Richardson & Plano police cars along the way. The police could never fire a shot out of concern for hitting bystanders with their pistols and shotguns, even though at one point the bandits were trapped and on foot in "very confident AR range" after they wrecked out - But because they weren't stopped then, they carjacked someone else and got away.

I was volunteering over there when it happened, and the Chineese resturant that they mistakenly busted into (next to the bank) was one that I ate at occasionally. It's just luck that I wasn't in there when they came stormng in.

One of the officers I talked to said his buddy ducked just as an AK-47 round went clear through his windshield, through his headrest, and out the back of his car. I don't think SWAT was ever a factor because SWAT never caught up to them, according to everything I heard - They were too slow to be deployed, and moved too slow.

One of the bandits later "jumped in the net" when he walked into a sheriff's station around Lubbock I think, making a bizarre claim that he was the victim of mistaken identity. The FBI got the other two a year or so later, as I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Operator13 View Post
    Not to derail, but is this the Addison just outside of Dallas?

Back in the late 90's didn't they have at least 1 or 2 Volvos they used as patrol cars?
    Just North of Dallas - I haven't heard lately, but years ago when I lived in Carrollton, Addison had a whole fleet of Volvos, according to the TV news. They had a large tax base from restaurants and shopping centers, but their mall shut down several years ago and turned into a hi-tech office complex. I haven't heard how that impacted them, but they still have restaurants out the kazoo.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsb22 View Post
    They might have went with the FN due to the fact it doesn't "look" scary. The wrong reason to make a purchase decision, but it might be their reasoning.
    LOL - Yeah, to me it looks like a twisted-up piece of macaroni, not a Startrooper ray gun

(\__/)

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    looks like someone really did lots of research on that decision...
    lol
    Not
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    FN 5-7 as a duty weapon is a bad idea. Too much penetration, not enough stopping power.

1+

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Norm: When I was in Europe some years ago, the troops were carrying the PS90. The new gun looks a whole lot more useful
    and must be something newer than my old experience. Good catch on the facts, Dude!

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Car 4 View Post
    Norm: When I was in Europe some years ago, the troops were carrying the PS90. The new gun looks a whole lot more useful
    and must be something newer than my old experience. Good catch on the facts, Dude!

Car 4

How many years is some years ago? The PS90 is a fairly new weapon. Now you have my courisity up.

<------- off to do some research.
    dlefdal said:

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    According to worldguns.ru, the FAMAS was adopted by the French in 1978, and has undergone three design changes.

dlefdal said:

Operator13 is offline Just Another Voice
    I've read that before but always wondered how shotguns play into the equation.
    "The statements and opinions contained in this communication do not necessarily reflect the official position of the Commission regarding these issues."

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Operator13 View Post
    I've read that before but always wondered how shotguns play into the equation.
    I don't have a shotgun holstered to my side ready to be taken and used against me. If I have a long gun out you better be able to surprise me before I pull the trigger b/c I am already aiming at your T box.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information