Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Man tries to physically stop friend from driving drunk, a fight ensues, the drunk friend sues and wins $138,000

AUGUSTA, Maine ó A Kennebec County Superior Court jury has awarded a Winslow man more than $138,000 for facial injuries stemming from a fight during a night of drinking at a restaurant in West Forks in 2005.
    Eric Johnsonís jaw was broken during the fight with Brian Beaulieu of Sidney. The two men had previously been friends and worked together for a rafting company.
    Beaulieu admitted hitting Johnson during a scuffle over car keys when he and another man tried to prevent Johnson from driving.
    Johnson claimed he suffered a fractured face and underwent three surgeries, including having a plate inserted to hold his jaw together.
    Johnson had sued for $413,000, including punitive damages, but the jury reduced that to $138,000. Beaulieuís lawyer said an appeal is under consideration.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Something just seems so wrong with this.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

PeterJasonMN Guest
    I'm not saying the drunk needed to win the money, but holy shit, a busted fucking jaw requiring a plate?

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Huh, no comment here either,
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked,Ē Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    people say one shouldn't drink at home, because it is the precursor to a "problem."

i drink at home alone or with friends more often than i drink out with other people....because i know how i react to alcohol, how my friends react, etc etc...and know that nothing stupid is gonna happen. not to mention if it comes down to it, my friends can stumble home in a few minutes if need be.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Wonder if he would have tried to sue if he'd gotten into a wreck where he was the drunk driver?
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

carolina is offline Master Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Something just seems so wrong with this.

I agree.

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. - Leo Buscaglia

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Wonder if he would have tried to sue if he'd gotten into a wreck where he was the drunk driver?
    Yes, people that sue like this are looking for a quick buck no matter who is the target of the lawsuit.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    this is so retarded...
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    When I was in high school, me and some friends got all drunked up out camping one night.

One of my buddies decides he wants to drive into town for a hardees hot ham and cheese.

We all advised against this, he ignored us and got in his car, and put the keys in the ignition. I jumped in the pass. seat and put the car in park, try to take the keys, and he smokes me across the face.

At this point it turned into a knock down drag down fight, each of us turning eachothers face into hamburger basically.

Long story short, we dragged him out of the car, and called a sober person to BRING us some hot ham and cheese. 10 hot ham and cheese sandwiches, one broken nose, and one chipped tooth later, we were sitting around the fire BS'ing as if nothing had happened.

And no one got sued.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    10 hot ham and cheese sandwiches, one broken nose, and one chipped tooth later, we were sitting around the fire BS'ing as if nothing had happened.
    Wow, you and your friends were good sports. Whose nose was broken and whose tooth was chipped?

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Wow, you and your friends were good sports. Whose nose was broken and whose tooth was chipped?
    My nose was broken.

His tooth was chipped.

Still no idea how his tooth got chipped.

That's how me and him were....we got pretty rough at times. It was all in good fun, no one got mad, and we always joked about it later.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    see that is just how things should be....
    i know when i used to be on the ski team back in high school we went on an away trip...

one guy got all hammered and wanted to drive to ihop... we tried to stop him and he ended up breaking his ankle and the other guys broke a rib and such was life...

they all just got suspended from the team and that was that.
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped