Welcome to the APBWeb.
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

ABC World News Tonight Feature: "Officer Down" - Why are our cops getting killed at an alarming rate?

I just saw an ad for this ABC World News feature series, which is supposed to be aired all this week starting Monday as a special report on the ABC evening news.

ABC World News comes on here weekdays at 5:30pm Central time, but may be different where you live.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Statistic according to the Officer Down Memorial Page:

In line of duty deaths:

2007 (so far): 158
    2006: 147
    2005: 159
    2004: 162
    2003: 147
    2002: 159
    2001: 242
    2000: 163
    1990: 161
    1980: 208

Okay- I'm looking. Where's this "alarming rate"?

The media is full of shit.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    Uhh, because it's gun banning time again and the IACP is restless.

Hence, more "explosive" stories. I mourn the losses of our brothers and sisters but I despise the media's attempt to use it for their liberal agenda.

Oh yeah, Hey National Media! How about actually having some sort of piece on National Police Week each year! Seems you seem to pass that in favor of Britney Spears' latest panty escapades.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Statistic according to the Officer Down Memorial Page:

In line of duty deaths:

2007 (so far): 158
    2006: 147
    2005: 159
    2004: 162
    2003: 147
    2002: 159
    2001: 242
    2000: 163
    1990: 161
    1980: 208

Okay- I'm looking. Where's this "alarming rate"?

The media is full of shit.
    The alarming rate is the number of line-of-duty deaths we have every year. It's very high. I do consider that alarming. This year compared to other years however, I agree that is not "alarming" and is media bullshit based off of a false perception. But maybe this media story will work in our favor?

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    The alarming rate is the number of line-of-duty deaths we have every year. It's very high. I do consider that alarming. This year compared to other years however, I agree that is not "alarming" and is media bullshit based off of a false perception. But maybe this media story will work in our favor?
    Don't count on that.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

PeterJasonMN Guest
    Because thanks to liberals police "Brutality" is now considered bad, when what a lot of people NEED are asskickings from the cops. 20 years ago when I was a kid we were terrified that if we got in trouble we'd get our ass beat from the cops, and THEN from our parents.

The kids of the last 15 years or so haven't had that fear and now they just don't give a shit.

Illiy is offline Corporal
    I wasn't impressed... it talked about the doctors working with swat... not the officers...

**shrugs**

I was watching cops last night and Rialto PD was on, Sergio Carrera was on it and it brought tears to my eyes to think that he is no longer out there doing his job.

Quote Originally Posted by Illiy View Post
    I wasn't impressed... it talked about the doctors working with swat... not the officers...

**shrugs**

I was watching cops last night and Rialto PD was on, Sergio Carrera was on it and it brought tears to my eyes to think that he is no longer out there doing his job.
    Did it already come on? I thought they said it starts Monday so I missed the first episode I guess. Sorry to hear about Carrera.

(\__/)

Illiy is offline Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    Did it already come on? I thought they said it starts Monday so I missed the first episode I guess. Sorry to hear about Carrera.
    They have two more episodes to air... As with anything I am sure you can watch it online if you missed it..

http://www.abcnews.go.com/WN/story?id=3782762&page=1

The irony that they would have information on Sergio Carrera on the same page gave me chills...

http://www.abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=3749804

GumbyDammit is offline Holster Sniffer
    Election time is coming and they want to make sure that people have a healthy fear of "assault weapons" going in. I'm betting their focus will be that more cops are dying since the AWB sunset and that we need to elect people who will put it back in place.

Watch for more stories on the topic as the year runs on. Also expect ones like "Radical Muslims Misunderstood", "911 Facts and Bush Fabrications" and "No Nukes is Good Nukes".
    The other night there was a loud argument in the hall outside my apartment while I was trying to sleep. I went out and told them they better leave or I was gonna use some Kung-Fu...

THAT scared them off...

Plus I was totally nekkid and holding a gun.

OXCOPS is offline Usual Suspect
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post

You know, I think we can all agree that just one death is one too many. That said, I think when looking at the bigger picture, the numbers really aren't that high.

In using the ODMP stats, we have had 158 this year. Of those, only 59 were from gunfire. That is roughly one third. Auto and motorcycle accidents account for almost as many with 48.

Now, how many police officers are on the job nationwide? According to the DOJ's Bureau of Justice Statistics, in 2004 there were 836,787 officers nationwide. http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/lawenf.htm

I don't see that number changing drastically in the past three years. So, when looking at that number, losing 200 (or less) officers a year, is not an epidemic that should call for sweeping legislation to make changes.

With the amount of time we spend driving around on the roads, sometimes in emergency situations, I am actually a little surprised the number of fatal crashes isn't higher simply due to the amount of time spent behind the wheel when compared to the average American.

Again, I think we can still all agree that one is one too many.

The police deaths that ABC quoted this afternoon was 145 in 2006, and 170 so far this year, supposedly the worst in decades.

It's also not large considering that twice as many people are usually murdered in a city the size of Dallas every year, which is also about the same number of Texans killed in Iraq so far I think, so you could say that the Iraq war isn't that big of a deal either - but of course it is.

Illiy, I don't think this is the same series as the report you saw yesterday - They said today that this is the first of the series, and it wasn't about SWAT medics.

They said that the difference that police are seeing is the number of unprovoked shootings from normally routine calls.

Tuesday they're supposed to talk about the arms race between criminals and cops.

The report was disappointingly short, though, so I'm gonna repeat Illiy's ***shrugs***. It should have been longer, but they did detail one shooting out of that 170, at least

(\__/)

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by OXCOPS View Post
    That said, I think when looking at the bigger picture, the numbers really aren't that high.
    Tell that to countries outside of the USA. But I understand your point.

I saw a convincing play on statistics once that seemed to say Washington, D.C. was more dangerous than Baghdad - How soldiers on leave back home in D.C. were statistically more likely to be killed in DC than Iraq...

But they were pretty selective in which areas of each that they picked to compare.

(\__/)

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    Statistics aside. I just think society doesn't give a shit anymore and most thugs would think nothing of killing the police. Back in the 80's my instructors told us that a thug would fight to get away, but most wouldn't personally attack you, ambush you, or try and kill you. There was somewhat of a mutual respect.

Instructors told us that those days are gun, and you can bet that most thugs would probably kill you if given a chance.

Tia
    Tia is offline Fortes et Liber

Stats-shmats ...

It is certainly agreed that one is simply too many – and there are a plethora of reasons why that is.
    In my opinion, once we reach 50 (one per State) in a year, it’s already reached the state of being seriously alarming. It doesn’t have jack-squat to do with statistics. It’s alarming because there’s no good, excusable reason it should happen.
    It happens because people are stupid to the point of criminal negligence or recklessness, and because others live almost exclusively to perpetuate an essentially absurd war between ‘Good & Evil,’ in which, killing our front line soldiers is deemed an integral & ‘necessary’ element.
    Ok. Most of us accept that’s just how it is. Like most adults, every Nation has it’s demons too, so we fight them; but no one in their right mind with a lick of sense could want all that is worst in humanity to prevail.
    Every single time and instance we ‘give them’ one of ours from the front lines, it hurts. Twenty hurts damn bad. Thirty is a nightmare. Forty should already be serving up a crisis of National-conscience – fifty? Fifty?. That’s just friggin’ alarming no matter how we slice it (statistics and statisticians be damned!).

I never put much (or any) stock in statistics – too hard to get them without statisticians, and whenever I am shown the ‘newest’ batch, my thoughts invariably turn again to Twain, saying –

Figures often beguile me, particularly when I have the arranging of them myself; in which case the remark attributed to Disraeli would often apply with justice and force: ‘There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics.’

..But for sake of some sort of index of how the war is going for the year – I wonder about the - *cringe* - statistics showing the numbers who have been intentionally murdered. Excluding all ‘accidents’ of any description.
    Those are the numbers that above-all set my hair on edge – and fire, I dare say.

I hope the day is fast-approaching when our Country will realize we could do a lot more to win this war, and take all the steps necessary towards that end.
    Then we could all sit here again in perhaps a few years and speak about how eleven Officers fell this year, and what a G.D. senseless, alarming tragedy that is.

I hope …
    "Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And when you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you."
    Nietzsche
    BGE, 146

"Quam bene vivas refert, non quam diu. "
    ~ Seneca

Thread Information