Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky

Playing Cards May Help Solve Crimes

County hopes cards will deal blow to crime

By Debbi Farr Baker
    UNION-TRIBUNE BREAKING NEWS TEAM
    12:15 p.m. November 27, 2007

SAN DIEGO – From now on, when the county's jail inmates play cards, the faces of homicide victims or homicide suspects will be staring at them.

That's because from now on the only cards available for inmates in any of the county's seven jails will be decks that depict 52 unsolved murders.

Some of the cards, unveiled Tuesday by San Diego County Crime Stoppers officials, depict the victim on one side along with a brief description of the crime. Some depict wanted fugitives.

On the other side is Crime Stoppers' toll-free number.

Inmates can call in tips anonymously and if the information leads to an arrest they can be rewarded up to $1,000 from Crime Stoppers – and possibly more if additional reward money is offered by other parties. One of the unsolved cases offers a reward of $56,000, said San Diego police officer Jim Johnson.

The cards will sell for $1.79 and be the only ones sold in the jails, said Sheriff's Lt. Dennis Brugos.

Brugos said there are 5,100 inmates incarcerated in the county's jails and about 400 packs of cards bought each month. Jail phones have been reprogrammed so that inmates can call the toll-free number, he said.

The cold-case playing cards are modeled after a program in Florida that resulted in three cases being solved in three months, Crime Stoppers Executive Director Sally Cox said.

Officials hope that by distributing the cards to the criminal population, more leads on unsolved cases will be generated.

“We know that those in jail right now have the information to take care of and to bring justice to the victims and the victims' families,” said Crime Stoppers board member Auday Arabo.

There are currently 2,000 cold cases in the county under investigation, some dating back decades.

Arabo said it is especially hard for those families that have an empty chair at the table during the holidays.

“We hope to bring justice and some type of closure to those victims and their families, and hopefully bring some sort of closure,” he said.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Awesome idea!
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge113 View Post
    Awesome idea!
    +1

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    not a bad idea at all.....

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    better than nothin'....although they outta be out getting raped and moving rock piles from one end of the yard to the other from now until eternity instead of playing Go Fish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

Thread Information