Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

New policy states North Carolina Community Colleges now required to accept illegal immigrants to attend college at taxpayer's expense

Raleigh — North Carolina community colleges must accept illegal immigrants as students if they meet admission guidelines, according to a new policy.
    Previously, colleges had the option of rejecting illegal immigrants, even if they were at least 18 and had graduated from high school.
    However, a lawyer for the North Carolina Community College System recently issued a memo saying that all 58 campuses needed to fall into line with a 1997 opinion by then-Attorney General Mike Easley.
    Wake Technical Community College was among the campuses that previously required students to prove legal residency.
    "We will abide by the rules of the State Board of Community Colleges," Wake Tech President Stephen Scott said.
    More than half of the community colleges statewide already allowed undocumented immigrants to enroll, and state officials estimated that about 340 such students are attending class.
    Students without documentation must pay out-of-state tuition – about $7,400 for a full class-load at Wake Tech – which officials said would likely discourage many of them from applying.
    The higher fees also would generate a $2,000 profit per illegal immigrant student for the community colleges, officials said.
    But politicians statewide ridiculed the new policy.
    “This is a stupid policy," U.S. Rep. Sue Myrick, R-N.C., of Charlotte, said in a statement. "Our community colleges are supposed to educate and train American citizens to enter the work force. But North Carolina wants to educate and train illegal aliens so they can directly compete against American citizens for the same jobs? That is just plain wrong. There is no common sense anymore."
    Myrick, a Charlotte Republican, has been deeply involved in the immigration debate in Washington, D.C.
    State Sen. Richard Stevens, R-Wake, said he and other legislators would likely push for a change in state law if the policy isn't reversed before the next session of the General Assembly in May.
    "The key word is 'illegal.' It's against the law, so you should reward someone for breaking the law? Absolutely not," Stevens said.
    Officials with the Latino advocacy group El Pueblo said the new policy provides an opportunity to a younger generation that has much to contribute to U.S. society.
    "They would like to have an opportunity to continue their education," said Marisol Jimenez-McGee, advocacy director for El Pueblo. "They came here when they were very young – brought here by the parents – and have since been growing up in North Carolina, alongside every other North Carolina student."

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Ok, fine. Their parents brought them here. They didn't have a choice. It isn't the students fault they're illegal. Got it. It isn't our fault either. This policy should be a no go. Ludicrous.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Ok, fine. Their parents brought them here. They didn't have a choice. It isn't the students fault they're illegal. Got it. It isn't our fault either. This policy should be a no go. Ludicrous.

Isn't it amazing how things are not our fault but yet we still flip the bill??????? You would think that someone would get a clue!

Terminator is offline BANNED
    North Carolina taxpayers shell out a BILLION DOLLARS a year into the community college system. THIS IS BULLSHIT!

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by from the story
    .............................. ....."The key word is 'illegal.' It's against the law, so you should reward someone for breaking the law? Absolutely not," Stevens said.......................
    Ab-so-fuhkin-lutely!!!!!!!!!

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    I am all for higher education but am a little confused as to why someone who came here illegally should be allowed to enroll. I mean if you want to come into this this country to better yourself and your way of life and to avail yourself of all the benefits this country offers (like higher education)..then apply to come here legally. Right?
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Y'know...

I don't have a problem with letting 'em enroll.

And pay OUT OF STATE tuition, since they aren't legally residents of North Carolina, right?

And, maybe 3 or 4 weeks into the semester (whenever it is that they can't argue for getting their tuition back when they drop the class), let ICE visit all the classes, and deport 'em all.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    so my one question is this...

they were brought here very YOUNG.... now they are in COLLEGE

when the hell were they going to apply for a fucking green card or anything else??

they have been illegal for over 18 or so years????

maybe ICE should go visit mom and dad
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

OXCOPS is offline Usual Suspect
    Since I can't express my true feelings, I will just say that this is fucking stupid!

Cochese is offline The Grand Royal
    Verified LEO
    Oxie, why the fuck aren't you verified yet? Does that new gig qualify?

OXCOPS is offline Usual Suspect
    Quote Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
    Oxie, why the fuck aren't you verified yet? Does that new gig qualify?
    Just finished it up this morning. Bufford was working hard on it and has sent in the approval to the bossmen.

Oh, thanks for being in my bid-ness!

(Just messing with ya.)

Illiy is offline Corporal
    If they are willing to get a college degree then lets send them "home" and get a degree on their government's dime.

Nothing seems to surprise me though... Sure it isn't their fault they were brought here... but at what point to they take responsibility for themselves?

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    I bet if I enrolled they would charge me an "out of state" tuition. How much more is the "out of country" tuition?

I wonder if the school knows that by not following the SEVIS agreements and allowing persons with out legal status in the US to enroll, they will loose the ability to enroll real foreign exchange students. Oh well, I guess they'll learn soon enough.

"Stupid should hurt."

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    i think its a damn good idea.

sign them up, flag their status, and set up a few days of raids and deportations at the beginning of the semester!

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    Y'know...

I don't have a problem with letting 'em enroll.

And pay OUT OF STATE tuition, since they aren't legally residents of North Carolina, right?

And, maybe 3 or 4 weeks into the semester (whenever it is that they can't argue for getting their tuition back when they drop the class), let ICE visit all the classes, and deport 'em all.
    Damn you got it first

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Thread Information