Welcome to the APBWeb.
    gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO

Teddy Bear Teacher Gets Jail Time; No Whip

Apparently, 99% of the Muslim poplulation can be named Muhammed, but don't you dare name a teddy bear that. I guess naming an animal Muhammed is a huge insult to Islam.

In a completely unrelated item, I plan on naming my next dog Muhammed

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,313690,00.html

Teddy Bear Teacher Sentenced to 15 Days in Jail, Deportation

Thursday , November 29, 2007

KHARTOUM, Sudan
    British teacher Gillian Gibbons was convicted of insulting Islam for letting her pupils name a teddy bear Muhammad and sentenced to 15 days in prison and deportation from Sudan, one of her defense lawyers said Thursday.

Ali Mohammed Ajab, of Gibbons' defense team, said she was found guilty of "insulting the faith of Muslims in Sudan" under Article 125 of the Sudanese criminal code, a lighter conviction than the original charge of inciting religious hatred. A charge later confirmed by a judge leaving the closed court session.

"I feel this is very serious and very unfair," he told The Associated Press outside the courtroom. Ajab, who also works for the Khartoum Center for Human Rights, said the issue was raised by "hard-liners who are always trying to make some noise," in an apparent reference to religious conservatives.

Ajab said his center would appeal the verdict, an opinion not shared by Gibbons' employer.

"It's a very fair verdict, she could have had six months and lashes and a fine, and she only got 15 days and deportation," said Robert Boulos of the Unity High School, confirming there would be no appeal. He noted that she would only spend 10 days in prison, having already served five.

"We are very sad about her deportation because she was such a good teacher," he said, adding that with the current tension over the case it was probably safer for her to leave the country.
    Religious conservatives in Sudan have been outraged by the naming of Gibbons' class teddy bear "Muhammad" in an apparently insulting reference to Islam's most revered prophet and defense lawyers reported receiving death threats.

"I am threatened, that's why I'm carrying a gun in court," defense lawyer Abdel Khalig Abdallah said, opening his suit coat to reveal a revolver during a break in the trial.

The maximum penalty for the original charge, which has attracted world wide attention, was 40 lashes, a fine and six months in prison.

Gibbons is expected to serve out her sentence in the Omdurman women's prison near Khartoum. It was not immediately clear if following the verdict in the closed hearing, she went immediately to prison.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Ah the wonder, peaceful, and tolerant religion of Islam.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Don't forget 'enlightened.'
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    QUIET YOU INFIDEL !!!!!!!! I BLOW YOU UP !!!!

LOL

Thread Information