Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Retired cop fights to keep ‘GETOSAMA’ plates

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22022565/

Retired cop fights to keep ‘GETOSAMA’ plates

DMV demands man return plates that call for al-Qaida leader’s capture

updated 2:33 p.m. ET, Sun., Dec. 2, 2007

GARDEN CITY, N.Y. - A retired police officer is seeking a court order to force the state Department of Motor Vehicles to drop its demand that he return vanity license plates calling for the capture or death of Osama bin Laden.
    Arno Herwerth, a 21-year veteran of the New York Police Department, said he requested the “GETOSAMA” plates earlier this month to send a political message. He said he was surprised to hear, after receiving the plates, that the DMV wanted them back.
    In a Nov. 15 letter to Herwerth, the agency cited a regulation prohibiting plates that could be considered “obscene, lewd, lascivious, derogatory to a particular ethnic group or patently offensive.” It returned his previous generic license plates and asked that he send the “GETOSAMA” plates, which were issued Nov. 2, back to its Albany headquarters.

Herwerth, 42, said in a phone interview that it was important to him that the victims of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, which bin Laden is accused of orchestrating, be remembered.
    “I got the plates because of 9/11,” he said. “I want to keep the message alive that this man needs to be killed or captured. It’s been a long time, but we haven’t forgotten.”
    Free speech issue?
    Herwerth’s attorney, Vincent Amicizia, said he would seek a temporary restraining order in U.S. District Court that would prevent the DMV from revoking the “GETOSAMA” plates. He maintains the plates are patriotic because the sentiment supports the U.S. war against terrorism.

“That’s the oddity of this case,” Amicizia said. “I’ve never heard of a First Amendment case that seeks to suppress patriotic speech.”
    Tara Keenan-Thomson, executive director of the Nassau County chapter of the New York Civil Liberties Union, said she is aware that states have denied plates based on offensive messages, but she is not sure why the “GETOSAMA” plates were interpreted negatively by state officials.
    “What is unique is that this message does reflect the policies of the present administration,” she said. “When ‘offensive’ is applied to political views, it encroaches on free speech.”
    State DMV spokesman Ken Brown said the plates “didn’t meet DMV regulation standards, and issuing them would be inappropriate.” He declined further comment.

© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Good to know all other crime in NY has apparently been solved.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Thats a bunch of bullshit. Give the man his plates and go back to work.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

dkpd1384 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO

FIGHT ON !!!!!!

Hmmmm I have three son's two in the Army and one in the Marines,,,,I do not see anything wrong with the plates at all. The NY DMVS issued the plates, now they want them back????? Previous post was correct,,,, I am truly glad to hear all the crime in New York is gone and they are worried about license plates now. I have definately seen alot worse personalized plates that were issued by that same state though. Wonder who is behind all this???

hush29 is offline Corporal
    un-freakin'-believable
    It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    You forget that this is a state that wants to pass a law allowing illegals to get drivers licenses. They seem to not care about anything but $$$$$$ I bet if he said he would pay triple the amount they would let him keep them

213th is offline Solipsist
    Quote Originally Posted by armsmaster270 View Post
    Thats a bunch of bullshit. Give the man his plates and go back to work.
    Agreed. I think I'm gonna go over to the DMV and find out if I can get that or not...
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Thread Information