Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Talking Drug sweep yields toad

After a Northland drug sweep last week, a law enforcement agency has a toad in protective custody.

And "toad" is not a euphemism for "a really bad guy who deals drugs."

It's a little guy who is better known as the Sonoran Desert toad or Colorado River toad. He and his relatives have gained notoriety among certain circles because they secrete venom on their backs when they become angry or frightened, venom that contains a hallucinogen called bufotenine.

That hallucinogen, which is illegal, has had individuals go to elaborate lengths to partake in a little "toad smoking," said Clay County Prosecuting Attorney Dan White.

Some brave souls used to experiment with the extremely dangerous practice of "toad licking," but toad smoking is considered a better alternative because a person heats the frogs' venom, which breaks down the toxins and retains the hallucinogen, White said. The hallucinogen is then dried and smoked.

Local law enforcement authorities found the frog in the possession of David S. Theiss, 21, of Kansas City North and arrested him for possession of a controlled substance, White said.

Theiss was one of 61 Northland individuals recently targeted in "Operation: Bad Candy," the culmination of an almost two-year undercover operation of the Clay County Drug Task Force.

http://www.kccommunitynews.com/artic....bad.candy.txt

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Eh, crazy hippie kids and their toad smoking...
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO
    I still wonder who was the first knucklehead who saw a toad hopping along and thought, "I bet I could get high if I licked him!"

The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO

Toad Smoking

Cops: More smoke toad venom to get high
    2 hours, 4 minutes ago

Law enforcement authorities have discovered that people are willing to go to great lengths to get high, including a troubling new method that features a frightened toad.
    "Toad smoking," which is a substitute for "toad licking," is done by extracting venom from the Sonoran Desert toad of the Colorado River. The toad's venom which is secreted when the toad gets angry or scared contains a hallucinogen called bufotenine that can be dried and smoked to produce a buzz.
    In October, a Kansas City man was charged with possessing a controlled substance after Clay County authorities determined he possessed a toad with the intent to use its venom to get high.
    Clay County Prosecutor Daniel White said possessing the toad is not illegal, but using it to get high off its venom is.
    "It is easier to get it, and law enforcement might not immediately know you use it to get high," White said. "It's sort of a New Age way to get high. You convince yourself it is OK because it is something you get naturally from our environment.
    "There are a lot of things that are created naturally but they are still not legal," he said.
    White said that for years people experimented with "toad licking," and now toad smoking is considered a substitute. To do so, a person heats up the frog's venom to break down its toxins and preserve the hallucinogen, which is dried.
    He said some Internet sites feature an instructional video on how to extract the toad's venom.
    Police found the toad when they went to a northern Kansas City home to investigate a suspected meth lab. They later arrested David S. Theiss, 21, and charged him with three counts of possession of a controlled substance and one count of possessing drug paraphernalia the toad.
    Theiss also is accused of possessing mescaline, a controlled substance extracted from a cactus.
    While smoking toad venom might sound extreme, an even more disturbing method to get high possibly includes sniffing fermented human waste. Vicky Ward, manager of prevention services at Tri-County Mental Health Services in Kansas City, said she has read e-mail warnings about a drug called jenkem.
    The drug is made from fermented feces and urine.
    "We work with a lot of youths and we ask them whether anyone has tried it and they said no," Ward said. "They (the youths) have heard about it because of the Internet."
    But whether people actually use of jenkem has not been determined, Ward said, noting that a Web site that investigates urban legends isn't clear on the matter.
    "Kids get ideas that later turn out to be unfounded, but you will get some idiots who will try anything," she said.
    ___
    Information from: The Kansas City Star, http://www.kcstar.com

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Threads merged
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Thread Information