Welcome to the APBWeb.
    jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Wisconsin now has a Christmas Tree

MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- An Assembly committee says the 35-foot balsam fir in the Capitol decorated with lights should be called a Christmas tree.

The Assembly Committee on State Affairs voted 8-1 for a plan that would reverse the long-standing practice of calling it a holiday tree.

The vote means the full Assembly could approve the measure sponsored by Rep. Marlin Schneider as early as next week. So far, the Senate hasn't seemed interested in acting on the plan.

Schneider says the tree was known as a Christmas tree from 1916 until 1985 when the state became too politically correct.

But the Freedom From Religion Foundation says using the word Christmas would offend nonreligious people.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    But the Freedom From Religion Foundation says using the word Christmas would offend nonreligious people.

Well then, those offended by the word Christmas have the freedom to not use the word!!
    The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

dkpd1384 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO

CHRISTMAS

absoutely agree,,,,and if they don't want to use the word they don't have to observe the holiday either,,,and by no means do they have to accept gifts or give them.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    What's terrible is that it litterally took an act of government to do this...
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge113 View Post
    What's terrible is that it litterally took an act of government to do this...
    But regardless, a govt entity has said they calling it a "holiday tree" is TOO politically correct.

At least someone's making progress!
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    But regardless, a govt entity has said they calling it a "holiday tree" is TOO politically correct.

At least someone's making progress!

Very true
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Christmas!

Christmas!

Christmas!
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    MERRY

CHRISTMAS
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

jdb91 is offline Sheepdog
    I only live about 60 miles east of "The People's Republic of Madison" and if you did too you would understand why it took an "act of government" to accomplish this.

HotTamale is offline Officer First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by jdb91 View Post
    I only live about 60 miles east of "The People's Republic of Madison" and if you did too you would understand why it took an "act of government" to accomplish this.
    Yep, I live about 15miles away, and I walked into walmart the other day, the greeter said "Happy Holidays".....I was like "AND MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU"...that just pissed me off that they force them to say "happy holidays...god thats dumb.
    OPD Explorer Post #2235

I never thought there was such thing as a stupid question, then I became a security officer.

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    This country had a long standing tradition relating to god, and freedom of religion. If you can't live with Traditional American Values you are free to leave and move to russia, or your ancestors mother country or you can go where the sun don't shine, but leave us alone.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

trekgirl is offline Officer First Class
    Merry Christmas..Happy Yule...Happy Hanukkah, Happy Winter Solstice...Happy Kwanzaa!!!!!!
    Mwa ha ha ha ha

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    This is the holiday season, I call it Christmas, some call it Hanukkah, some call it Kwanzaa, some call it Winter Solstice. Why does it have to become an issue at all. If someone is offended because of how I believe, too bad, it is my right to worship as I wish, as it is everyone's right. If a tree offends you, don't look at it. If a scene of a manger offends you, don't look at it. If a Menorah offends you, don't look at it, and so on for every religious belief. But don't try to take the traditions that we have been raised on away from us. You don't decorate your surroundings at this time of year, do I come and complain to you because you chose not to celebrate the way that I do. All I can suggest to these folks is Get A Life!

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

deputy29 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    If I remember my history right, this country was founded on religion freedom. To me that means you can worship in any way you wish. If you don't want to participate in holidays you don't believe in then ignore them and let others enjoy themselves and worship how they please.

Merry Christmas!!!

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by deputy29 View Post
    If I remember my history right, this country was founded on religion freedom. To me that means you can worship in any way you wish. If you don't want to participate in holidays you don't believe in then ignore them and let others enjoy themselves and worship how they please.

Merry Christmas!!!
    Remind me to tell that to the people who tell me I'm evil because I celebrate the Sabbats.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Thread Information