Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Mall Shooting in Omaha, NE

Two Reported Dead in Mall Shooting

Posted: Dec 5, 2007 02:03 PM CST
    Updated: Dec 5, 2007 03:20 PM CST

Omaha, NE - One person is confirmed dead in a shooting at Westroads Mall. Up to 10 people may have been shot - Action 3 News has learned 4 people may have been taken to the hospital. Witnesses report hearing up to 20 shots and seeing people fall to the ground.
    There are possibly two suspects. One of them may be among the dead. Radio reports indicate one person has a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Another suspect may be in custody - according to police reports. Police are asking everyone to stay away from the area. The neighborhoods around the mall are believed to be safe. Police are asking anyone in their cars outside the mall to stay inside their cars.
    Von Maur's Director of Sales says the store has a policy in place for emergencies such as this. He says workers at the Omaha store went through training for emergencies within the past year.
    Reported by Jen Kucirek, jkucirek@action3news.com.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    Nine dead (shooter self-inflicted), 5 injured.

Under six minute response for all OPD cars to that location. Impressive.

Hell of a crime scene.

adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO
    Prayers to the innocents and their families...
    The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Another shitbag who should have been killed by an armed citizen the second he drew his weapon and pointed it at an innocent!

I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO
    Here's an update:

Man opens fire at Omaha mall, killing 8

By Oskar Garcia

Associated Press Writer / December 5, 2007
    OMAHA, Neb.—A man with a rifle opened fire at a busy department store Wednesday, killing eight people before taking his own life, in an attack that made holiday shoppers run screaming through a mall and barricade themselves in dressing rooms. Five more people were wounded, two critically.
    Witnesses said the gunman fired down on shoppers from a third-floor balcony of the Von Maur store.
    The gunman was found dead on the third floor with a self-inflicted gunshot wound, and his victims were discovered on the second and third floors, police said.
    "My knees rocked. I didn't know what to do, so I just ran with everybody else," said Kevin Kleine, 29, who was shopping with her 4-year-old daughter at the Westroads Mall, in a prosperous neighborhood on the city's west side. She said she hid in a dressing room with four other shoppers and an employee.
    Keith Fidler, a Von Maur employee, said he heard a burst of five to six shots followed by 15 to 20 more rounds. Fidler said he huddled in the corner of the men's clothing department with about a dozen other employees until police yelled to get out of the store.
    Sgt. Teresa Negron said the gunman killed eight people, then apparently killed himself. His name was not immediately released, and authorities gave no motive for the attack and did not know whether he said anything during the rampage.
    Police received a 911 call from someone inside the mall, and shots could be heard in the background, Negron said. By the time officers arrived six minutes later, the shooting was over, she said.

Full article can be found at: http://www.boston.com/news/nation/ar...at_omaha_mall/
    The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

dkpd1384 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    This brings back memories,, had the same thing happen about 18 years ago, except that time the perp tried to exit via mass transit. We caught him trying to get on the bus. Of course he had already dropped the gun in a wastebasket. During a search of the perp I located a letter from his doctor at the local mental hospital advising against his release earlier in the day stating that he was a danger to society. Took the system several years to clean him up from the drugs when he finally stood trial and given life.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Car 4 View Post
    Another shitbag who should have been killed by an armed citizen the second he drew his weapon and pointed it at an innocent!

I yield the floor to Car 4. Eloquently put.

Rep inbound.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO
    "When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    Yet people ask me why I always carry off duty. Its a sad world we live in.

"Stupid should hurt."

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired

More on the shooting.......

Omaha mall gunman: Now I’ll be famous
    By Catherine Elsworth in Los Angeles
    Last Updated: 9:19am GMT 06/12/2007

A teenager who opened fire on a bustling Nebraska shopping mall with an assault rifle, killing eight and wounding five, left a suicide note predicting: “now I’ll be famous”.

Robert Hawkins, a high school drop out who friends described as depressed, also wrote that he was "sorry for everything" and would no longer be a burden to his family.

He left the note at the home of the family he had been living with after reportedly being thrown out by his parents.

"He wanted to go out like a star," said Andrew Bigler, who described himself as a friend of Hawkins.

"He had a rough life. He was a good guy. I loved him."

Early yesterday afternoon, Hawkins, 19, who had just been fired from his job at McDonald’s for allegedly stealing 17 dollars, donned a camouflage vest and drove to the Westroads Shopping Mall in Omaha armed with a SKS assault rifle reportedly taken from his stepfather.

Once there amid the throngs of shoppers and festive musak, the bespectacled teenager made his way to the third floor of the Von Maur department store, pulled out the rifle and opened fire.

He gunned down shoppers in the store’s customer service department before spraying bullets at others on a floor below as they looked up an escalator towards the screams and pandemonium.

He hit 13 people in the crowded complex, killing eight and injuring five before turning the gun on himself.

Police, who were on the scene in six minutes, found his body in the customer services department.
    They said the shooting appeared to be "very random and without provocation".

Debora Maruca-Kovac, a nurse whose son was a friend of Hawkins, had taken him in at her and her husband’s home in Quail Creek, Bellevue, a suburb of Omaha, over a year ago.

"When he first came in the house, he was introverted, a troubled young man who was like a lost pound puppy that nobody wanted," she said.

Mrs Maruca-Kovac said Hawkins had just been fired from his job at a McDonald's, apparently for stealing 17 dollars, and had recently broken up with a girlfriend.

In a phone call around 1pm on Wednesday, shortly before the shooting, he told her he had left a note for her in his bedroom.

He refused to explain further.

She told CNN the note said, "that he was sorry for everything, that he didn't want to be a burden to anybody, he loved his family, he loved all of his friends. He was a piece of shit all of his life and now he'll be famous.”

“We tried to get him to come to the house, but he said it was too late,” she told the New York Times. “When we heard about the shooting, I had a sick feeling about it.”

Mrs Maruca-Kovac said Hawkins had obtained the gun on Tuesday night from his parents’ house, saying he and friends were going target shooting on Wednesday.

She described the youth as “very troubled”.

The teenager had recently been arrested for underage possession of alcohol as well as two other minor offences and was due in court later this month.

In 2005, he was convicted of disorderly conduct and sentenced to seven days in jail.

One friend, identified only as Shawn, told local television news station KETV that Hawkins had been on antidepressants and bouncing from job to job, making "some bad judgment calls."

A staff member at a group home where Hawkins had lived for a while said the youth was a target of teasing.

Witnesses to the shooting described the terror and chaos unleashed by the rampage as screaming shoppers dived for cover behind clothing rails and in dressing rooms.

Three department store employees barricaded themselves in a third-floor break room, barring the door with a soft drinks machine and sending text messages to friends and colleagues that they were trapped.

Hawkins leaned over a third floor balcony inside the mall to shoot one man in the head. Others were killed at point blank range.

Jeff Schaffart, a lawyer who was shot in the arm as he spent his lunch break shopping with his wife, hid in a women's toilet, using his tie as a tourniquet to stem the bleeding.

Renee Toney, who was behind the customer service counter when Hawkins stepped off a third-floor elevator and began firing shots at the ceiling, told the Omaha World Herald the youth was “moving very fast”.

She estimated he fired around 30 shots.

She and her co-workers rushed towards a stockroom behind the service desk but she was the only one who made it to safety.

"None of them made it out," she told the newspaper. "I was up front, and everybody except me was shot. It's a blur. I don't even know how I got to the stockroom. I was the closest one to the stockroom. Within seconds, they were shot right behind me."

Later Ms Toney learned Hawkins had demanded to staff, "Open the safe,” but began shooting before any of the employees could respond.

Leaving, she said she saw blood everywhere and as many as six bodies.

The incident is thought to be the deadliest single shooting incident in state history.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

TXPO710 is offline Dumb ole' Cowboy
    Verified LEO
    Just an observation that the press won't make.
    Mall shooting, off duty cop with gun, no deaths.
    Mall shooting, no one with a gun, 9 dead.
    Seems like the math speaks for itself.

Frankenstein is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Car 4 View Post

On CNN this morning they reported that he was seen carrying the gun into and through the mall before the shooting started. What I want to know is if anyone bothered to call 911 as soon as they saw him with it or if they continued on with their sheeping, I mean shopping?

Thread Information