Welcome to the APBWeb.
    OXCOPS is offline Usual Suspect

Phoenix police recruit shot on the range...

http://www.azcentral.com/news//artic...oting1205.html

Police recruit shot at academy

Allison Denny
    The Arizona Republic
    Dec. 5, 2007 09:57 AM
    A recruit was shot in leg during training Tuesday night at the Arizona Law Enforcement Academy in Phoenix.

The shooting occurred when the Department of Public Safety recruit was out on the firing range around 9 p.m., with the other recruits “becoming proficient with their handguns,” DPS Sgt. Tim Mason said.

At this point, officials are unsure how the shooting occurred or “whether or not it was self-inflicted or from another recruit,” Mason said.

The recruit was taken to a nearby hospital and is listed in fair condition.

“Obviously it's a serious incident,” Mason said, “but he's expected to survive.”

DPS is currently investigating the incident.

------------------------------------------------

Just another reminder that just because you are on the range doesn't mean you should let your guard down. When the guns break leather, everyone needs to be on the ball. Watch your ass and the actions of others near you.

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    We have had a few incidents like that in CA. Tragic when they happen. I hope the young person recovers without losing the opportunity to serve.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

OXCOPS is offline Usual Suspect
    I had an odd thought after reading this. While I hope the recruit makes a complete recovery, and is able to serve a fruitful career, it might not be possible. However, if it is not, then perhaps this event will help drive home a very serious lesson to the rest of the class, which might just save one of their lives years from now.

There was an old saying at my state's academy, which I am sure you have all heard. "More sweat in training means less blood on the streets." I take that to mean more than just getting smoked at PT. To me, it also means that you try to learn from the lessons and real-world experiences of your instructors. You can also learn from the experiences of others during the academy, such as this one.

Thread Information