Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Chicago Mayor wants PD to permanently retain disciplinary records, drug/alcohol test officers, and make them give electronically recorded statements

Under fire for the way police shootings are investigated, the Daley administration wants the right to test Chicago Police officers who discharge their weapons -- on duty or off -- for alcohol and drugs.
    In the wake of barroom brawls involving off-duty officers, City Hall is also proposing random testing for alcohol as well as drugs; stepped-up drug testing that uses hair samples instead of just urine; testing for Ecstasy and steroids, and drug and alcohol testing of officers in specialized units.
    In addition, the city wants to retain disciplinary records related to sustained complaints for the "duration of an officer's employment" and require officers under investigation to make "electronically recorded statements" to the Internal Affairs Division and the Independent Police Review Authority.
    A recent Sun-Times investigation into police shootings found that detectives were sometimes not eager to administer a Breathalyzer to a fellow cop.
    The controversial proposals to strengthen the city's hand in disciplining wayward officers were made by Mayor Daley's negotiating team during contract talks with the Fraternal Order of Police. They follow last week's appointment of career FBI agent Jody Weis to become the first outsider in nearly 50 years to serve as Chicago Police superintendent.
    FOP President Mark Donahue declined to comment on the city's proposals, posted on the union's Web site.
    Police Committee Chairman Isaac Carothers (29th) said the changes are overdue.
    "If you drive a truck -- if a garbage man has an accident -- right away he's taken for a test. If you're a police officer, you carry a gun and you shoot somebody, why should we not ensure that person is not impaired? It's not the case now. It's subject to the call of the street deputy on the scene -- if he feels it's necessary," Carothers said.
    Ald. Robert Fioretti (2nd) is an attorney who has represented LaFonso Rollins, who spent 11 years in prison for rape only to be exonerated by DNA testing in 2004.
    Fioretti was all for mandatory testing of officers involved in shootings, but less enthusiastic about random alcohol testing.
    "It's a red herring being thrown out to critics of the Police Department. Let's not throw out red herrings that the city knows is going to fail. Let's do realistic things. Let's do job training on alcoholism. Let's do Breathalyzers at each and every shooting. Let's do videotaping of roundtables," he said.
    Attorneys representing victims of alleged police brutality have long complained that the police contract is made to shield abusive officers. The argument was aired most recently during debate over the mayor's plan to sever the Office of Professional Standards from the Police Department and make it a separate city department with subpoena power and a chief administrator who reports directly to the mayor.

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Wow,, I can't believe with all the bad things and policy changes happening to Chicago Police officers that they still have any officers left. I would get tired of it and go elsewhere.

213th is offline Solipsist
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    ... Let's do videotaping of roundtables," he said.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but is a 'roundtable' something like a critical incident stress debriefing? If so, I think this guy is smoking crack if he wants them videotaped
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    The harder you watch the cops, the less you're watching the crooks.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO
    Attention LEF:

I am seriously considering renting a bus and driving it to Chicago with the intent of locating city hall, entering, and then taking a large sh*t in the council chambers. Anyone want me to pick them up along the way?
    "When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    The harder you watch the cops, the less you're watching the crooks.
    +1
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

bufford408 is offline Just green and furry all over
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Man View Post
    Wow,, I can't believe with all the bad things and policy changes happening to Chicago Police officers that they still have any officers left. I would get tired of it and go elsewhere.

I would tell them they can have their uniform back and shove it up their ever lovin ass.
    The opinions of my posts are the sole responsibilty of my employer due to the fact that they have totally and completely warped my mind.

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    Oddly enough, seems the mayor and his cronies (like him or his family isn't corrupt . . . naaaaa) seem to forget that even cops have this little thing called constitutional rights. Much of what is proposed wouldn't make constitutional muster.

Then again, maybe ChiTown needs a three day blue flu as a short reminder of the fraility of society. Oh, get the crooks out but be aware chasing honest cops will only make it worse.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TheeBadOne View Post
    Attention LEF:

I am seriously considering renting a bus and driving it to Chicago with the intent of locating city hall, entering, and then taking a large sh*t in the council chambers. Anyone want me to pick them up along the way?
    I'll go, if for no other reason than my videotape of the event will make national news and be a HUGE hit on youtube!
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO
    "When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

Thread Information