Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Talking In news sure to make LEF legend "Star" happy, "Woot" has been added to the merriam-Webster's dictionary

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - Expect cheers among hardcore online game enthusiasts when they learn Merriam-Webster's Word of the Year. Or, more accurately, expect them to "w00t."
    W00t," a hybrid of letters and numbers used by gamers as an exclamation of happiness or triumph, topped all other terms in the Springfield-based dictionary publisher's online poll for the word that best sums up 2007.
    Merriam-Webster's president, John Morse, said "w00t" was an ideal choice because it blends whimsy and new technology.
    "It shows a really interesting thing that's going on in language. It's a term that's arrived only because we're now communicating electronically with each other," Morse said.
    Gamers commonly substitute numbers and symbols for the letters they resemble, Morse says, creating what they call "l33t speak" that's "leet" when spoken, short for "elite" to the rest of the world.
    For technophobes, the word also is familiar from the 1990 movie "Pretty Woman," in which Julia Roberts startles her date's upper-crust friends with a hearty "Woot, woot, woot!" at a polo match.
    Purists of "l33t speak" often substitute a "7" for the final "t," expressing a "w007" of victory an "in your face" of sorts when they defeat an online gaming opponent.
    "W00t" was among 20 nominees in a list of the most-searched words in Merriam-Webster's online dictionary and most frequently submitted terms from users of its "open dictionary."
    The choice did not make Allan Metcalf, executive secretary of the American Dialect Society, say "w00t."
    "It's amusing, but it's limited to a small community and unlikely to spread and unlikely to last," said Metcalf, an English professor at MacMurray College in Jacksonville, Ill.

MiK
    MiK is offline Officer First Class
    Lmao, that's pwnage, hard cor3 style!

.Mpeg
    Never Argue With Idoits. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, And Beat You With Experience.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    W00t w00t!

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    "...wOOt, wOOt, wOOt fo da homey team..."
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    hahhahahahahahaha wOOt wOOt,

Ah those were the days for sure!!! The garbage wanna be poleeze drunk and posting LMAO!!!!

the best was the picture of her "scar" from her surgery!!!
    dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass
    Life is to short not to experience Lazy Fed
    ___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-
    O RLY?? YA RLY NO WAI!!!!

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I hate that word.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I hate that word.
    +1 Only thing decent about w00t is www.woot.com
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Thread Information