Welcome to the APBWeb.
    PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired

Gunman killed himself after being shot

Volunteer security guard shot Matthew Murray, who had killed four, several times before he committed suicide, autopsy shows.

By Nicholas Riccardi, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
    December 12, 2007

DENVER -- The gunman who killed four people in shooting rampages at two Colorado religious institutions committed suicide after he was shot by a church security guard, police said Tuesday.

An autopsy showed that Matthew Murray, 24, died of a self-inflicted wound after being shot several times Sunday by volunteer security guard Jeanne Assam at New Life Church in Colorado Springs.

Matthew Murray

Map

Assam, a former Minneapolis police officer, confronted Murray as he burst into the foyer after fatally shooting two teenage girls in the church parking lot. Authorities have credited Assam for saving untold lives because Murray was armed with three guns and more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition.

Minneapolis newspapers reported Tuesday that Assam had been dismissed from the department in 1997 for lying to investigators about her use of profanity in an argument with a bus driver.

(The news just has to sully the good that this lady performed)

Also Tuesday, a website aimed at people who have left Pentecostal and charismatic churches reported that Murray may have posted violent statements on its online forum between the two shootings.

Murray's first attack occurred at 12:30 a.m. Sunday, when he killed two staffers at a missionary school in Arvada, Colo., that had expelled him. The attack at New Life happened about 1:10 p.m.

The rambling postings quote liberally from dark rock songs and were written by a user called nghtmrchld26, who complained about his time at Youth With a Mission in Arvada.

"Thank you to all you christians who've made me this way . . . I'm just so full of hate now and I love it," the poster wrote at 4:07 a.m. "Forcing all your religious [expletive] down my throat all these [expletive] years with your dominionist christian agenda . . . well . . . the abuse ends NOW . . . give me one good reason why I should show ANY mercy and compassion for ANY of you idiots."

In his final sequence, posted at 10:55 a.m., nghtmrchld26 quotes verbatim from a manifesto left by one of the two Columbine killers, inserting the term "Christians" for the person those shooters targeted.

Other participants on the forum were alarmed and called the FBI when they saw the statements, said Joe Istre, the site's administrator.

Susan Medina, a spokeswoman for the Arvada Police Department, said authorities were inspecting a computer seized from Murray's home to determine whether he was nghtmrchld26.

Murray, who was home-schooled, lived in the affluent suburb of Englewood with his parents and brother -- a student at Oral Roberts University. His father, Dr. Ronald Murray, is a prominent neurologist.

In the online postings, nghtmrchld26 complains about being raised in a strict, religious home and constantly being offered psychiatric help.

In 2002, Matthew Murray enrolled in a three-month training program with Youth With a Mission's Arvada branch, but he was expelled from the program for undisclosed "health" reasons, officials there have said.

On Tuesday, Murray's former roommate, Richard Werner, who lives in Brazil, told CNN that Murray would carry on conversations with "voices" in his head. Murray also startled his classmates by performing dark songs by Marilyn Manson and Linkin Park at a Christmas concert at the school.

nicholas.riccardi@latimes.com
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    This morning I listened to the Vietnam vet that jumped the shit before the guard killed him being interviewed on our local radio station.

He was actually there as an active participant, and thinks the suicide line of thought is either an outright fabrication or a mistake on the part of police.

Either way, it was an armed citizen who brought the rampage to an end - and I don't care if she forced him into a suicide by wounding him or shot him to death outright.

She should get the credit.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Illiy is offline Corporal
    I agree with Maclean...

I also heard that the guy you are talking about was urging another armed guard to either shoot him or give him his gun so he could shoot him... I think she deserves the credit because unlike the other armed guard she was willing to do something... her actions were nothing less then heroic.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Fukketh Himmeth.

He was an abortion 24 years, 8 1/2 months overdue imho, and I'm pro-life.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Illiy View Post
    I also heard that the guy you are talking about was urging another armed guard to either shoot him or give him his gun so he could shoot him...
    Yes, and once the shit bird was down the guy took his gun, cleared it, and prepared to go after another shooter.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    It seems that most of these nuts turn the gun on themselves when met with armed resistance. Regardless of which gun the bullet came from, she ended the threat when she met him with armed resistance. The SOB was a coward that couldn't handle life so he decided to end the lives of others, When one of the other leveled the playing field he regressed to the cowards path and killed himself. Piss on him.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    that woman was amazing in my eyes...
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    I think she did good and should be recognized for it.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

Thread Information