Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky

CHP Sergeant Receives National Medal of Valor

CHP sergeant receives medal for shootout role

A local California Highway Patrol sergeant was honored this week with a national Medal of Valor for his role in a 2005 freeway shootout.

Sgt. Kirk Van Orsdel, 44, oversees administrative operations at the CHP station in Oceanside. He was one of five people to receive the Public Safety Officer Medal of Valor from President Bush in the Oval Office on Wednesday.

On July 21, 2005, Van Orsdel dodged 30 rounds from an AK-47 rifle and single-handedly took down the gunman with two shots from his rifle on a Riverside County freeway.

The gunman was arrested and sentenced to prison.

Van Orsdel's patrol car was riddled with bullet holes, and he was peppered with glass shards and bullet fragments, but he survived the battle otherwise uninjured. ľK.D.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    Way to go. He took care of business.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

Probation13-901 is offline Master Officer

Thumbs up

Good job. Great training always trumps better weapons!

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    Great job, Sgt!

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    Here is another story with more description of the incident:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont...s_2m14chp.html

Kirk also won the State of California's Medal of Valor:

On July 21, 2005, California Highway Patrol Sergeant Kirk Van Orsdel apprehended a violent criminal after several combat shootings. Sergeant Kirk Van Orsdel located a vehicle involved in a road rage incident and upon stopping the vehicle was immediately fired upon with a high powered, fully automatic AK-47 assault rifle. After a short evasion, the suspect stopped on the freeway and engaged Sergeant Van Orsdel in a second exchange of gunfire. After the exchange of gunfire, the suspect traveled the wrong way on the freeway and used an entrance ramp to exit to the city streets. Sergeant Van Orsdel followed in reverse on the shoulder. Once Sergeant Van Orsdel arrived on the city streets, he was ambushed by the suspect who was hiding behind a concrete guard rail. The Sergeant responded to the attack and returned fire upon the assailant. The suspect re-entered his car and fled the scene. Sergeant Van Orsdel was confronted by the suspect at a final location where Sergeant Van Orsdel was suddenly fired upon and trapped inside the patrol car. As Sergeant Van Orsdel laid across the seat to avoid being shot, he retrieved his rifle. He started firing at the suspect allowing himself time to exit the patrol car and re-engage the suspect in battle. The suspect was incapacitated and taken into custody. The Sergeant's actions during the ongoing pursuit and multiple engagements in gunfire were responsible for preserving his own life and saving the lives of several people.

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/valor.html
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    That dude had the medal coming for that incident!!!!

Outstanding in every way. Tenacity, mobility, fire and most of all, courage. Way to go CHP!

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Big Al is offline There is no place like home....
    Verified LEO
    It is always good to see an officer as the winner in a gunfight!! I am sure the Sgt would say,,, "I did what I had to to stop the person and I did what anyone else would have done" But on this day it was the the SGT and it was a big deal... Good Job, Brother!!!
    To be a good Law Enforcement Officer you MUST know the law!

Thread Information