Welcome to the APBWeb.
    TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO

Duluth man accused of assaulting cop (PJMN's town)

A Duluth man was arraigned in St. Louis County District Court Tuesday, accused of holding a handgun to the neck of an off-duty Worthington, Minn., police officer early Sunday outside a Canal Park restaurant.
    Kelly James Michael Jones, 26, is charged with second-degree assault, possession of a firearm by a felon and fleeing a police officer on foot. Jones is being held in the St. Louis County Jail on $150,000 bail.
    At the time of the alleged assault, Jones was out of jail on a $35,000 bond awaiting a Jan. 9 sentencing after pleading guilty Dec. 3 to burglary. He’s scheduled for trial next month on separate charges of fleeing a police officer and obstructing the legal process. The defendant also has a prior conviction for bank robbery.
    According to the criminal complaint, Worthington off-duty police K-9 officers Jason Eric Beckmann and Randy Raymond Liepold were in Grandma’s Sports Garden having a couple of drinks when a man began harassing Liepold inside the bar. The officers were in town for a K-9 convention.
    The officers left the restaurant about 2 a.m. and the harassing man was waiting outside and attempted to pick a fight with Liepold. Beckmann said he then grabbed the man and pushed him against the wall of the restaurant and told him to leave Liepold alone.
    Jones is accused of stepping in and putting a pistol to Beckmann’s neck. Jones allegedly told Beckmann to leave the harassing man alone because he “didn’t need any more trouble in his life.’’ Police have not identified who the harasser was.
    Beckmann said he heard something metallic hitting the ground and saw the magazine of a pistol lying near his feet. Jones fled.
    Beckmann and Liepold approached a parked Duluth police squad car to report what happened. Two Duluth officers chased Jones into the Lakewalk area, where one officer spotted Jones. He waited until the suspect was within about 40 feet before stepping from behind a vehicle and yelling “Police! Put your hands in the air!” Jones ran across a snowbank onto Canal Park Drive while other officers gave chase and caught him. Beckmann identified Jones as the person who held the gun to his neck.
    Beckmann said he didn’t know why the man was attempting to pick a fight. The officers were not in uniform. Beckmann said he showed his badge to the man when he first attempted to pick a fight and told the man to leave them alone.
    Sgt. Bob Shene, supervisor of the Duluth police Violent Crimes Unit, said police have not found the gun. There were two rounds in the .40-caliber magazine turned over by Beckmann. Shene asks that anyone who witnessed the incident and has information to provide or finds a firearm to call his unit at 730-5050.

link
    "When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    Too bad someone did not pop a cap in that loser's rearend! He needs to go back to prison and shack up with Bubba!
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Hearmoretalkless is offline On the street and stirring up trouble...
    Verified LEO
    Just north of Seattle... on the Canadian side.
    I didn't know PJMN is black...

I guess he won't be posting here any time soon, unless they have LEF access inside Pound-Me-In-The-Ass prison.

(extra credit if you can name the movie that's a reference to)

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hearmoretalkless View Post
    I didn't know PJMN is black...

I guess he won't be posting here any time soon, unless they have LEF access inside Pound-Me-In-The-Ass prison.

(extra credit if you can name the movie that's a reference to)

Office Space

I win

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Thread Information