Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Illiy is offline Corporal

Disclose your income!

There is a hearing at 8am that is going on with LA's Police Commission that is going to have a vote on making narcotic officers disclose their income, their budget, their debts... all in an effort to keep them honest!

Many officers as well as the union are outraged threatening to retire or transfer!

LAPD officers may quit over federal demand for disclosure
    By Rachel Uranga, Staff Writer
    Article Launched: 12/18/2007 11:15:10 PM PST

Some 500 Los Angeles Police Department gang and narcotic officers are threatening to retire or change jobs if the city follows through on a plan that would force them to reveal their personal finances, union officials say.
    A financial disclosure proposal set to be considered Thursday by the five-member civilian police commission would be the last major hurdle to comply with a 7-year-old federal consent decree meant to root out police corruption.
    Under the proposal, all gang and narcotics officers with the rank of lieutenant or below would be required to provide a detailed list of their finances, including all their properties, past due credit card debts, outside income, stocks, bonds and checking accounts.
    "No other law enforcement agency in the country forces its officers to share this kind of information," police union President Tim Sands said in a prepared statement.
    "This financial disclosure plan is an unnecessary and ill-conceived intrusion into the private lives of LAPD officers, their spouses and their children."
    The decree, which arose out of the Rampart corruption scandal implicating several officers on a gang detail of framing and beating suspects, has been a top priority for LAPD Chief William Bratton, a former consent decree monitor.
    Bratton was vacationing Tuesday, but First Assistant Chief Sharon Papa said she could not comment on a matter that would be considered by the police commission in closed
    Advertisement

session. Under the proposal, financial disclosure would be phased in over two years. Incumbent officers would not have to report for two years but all newly assigned officers must divulge their finances within 10 days of their assignment.
    Though decree reforms have been departmentwide, it's the gang units that have seen some of the most intense scrutiny.
    Many in the unit are already resentful of the amount of paperwork required of the heavily scrutinized officers, he said.
    The reform is only one of dozens forced by the federal consent decree that radically shifted the way the LAPD conducted day-to-day police work after the Department of Justice found "a pattern or practice of excessive force, false arrests, and illegal searches and seizures."
    Under the decree negotiated by then Mayor James Hahn to head off a Justice Department lawsuit, the LAPD has implemented TEAMS II, a complicated tracking system that aims to root out troubled officers.
    It also prohibited the use of secret informants, demanded gang officers be uniformed, created an integrity section and instituted a massive audit division.
    But the police union and others doubt whether the financial disclosure proposal will reveal bad officers who hide money in trust funds with family members, in property and elsewhere.
    "I am puzzled by this," said Robert Stern, the president of the nonprofit Center for Governmental Studies.
    "Usually, (financial disclosure) is meant to prevent conflicts, not corruption. I always say that the ones who want to be corrupt will be corrupt and won't disclose."
    rachel.uranga@dailynews.com

OXCOPS is offline Usual Suspect
    If they suspect an officer is on the take, then have the rat squad, er, IA, conduct an offical, complete investigation. If the evidence is strong enough, get a warrant for the needed financial information.

But, to make every officer disclose so much personal information just in case they MIGHT be corrupt is just plain wrong.

bufford408 is offline Just green and furry all over
    My salary is public information, my overall income is not anybody elses business. I would tell them to go get bent.
    The opinions of my posts are the sole responsibilty of my employer due to the fact that they have totally and completely warped my mind.

mike01 is offline patrol deputy
    Verified LEO
    In a liberal state like California,what else would you expect? Go ahead with the disclosure,but why stop with rank and file? Lets see all of everything. This should include all brass and even mayor himself. No? Hmmm?

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bufford408 View Post
    My salary is public information, my overall income is not anybody elses business. I would tell them to go get bent.

+1,000,000,000,000,000
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO
    As a former Narc, I am OUTRAGED! If they this with my department, I would fight tooth and nail. What happened to all these privacy shit civilains claim bitch about..Privacy applies to cops TOO. If they think an officer is on the take, go after them, not the entire unit.

Why not look at all the financial records of every single politician. I guarantee everyone single one of these MOFO's are on the take with their "front" companies and "charity" organizations. These MOFO politicans come up with stupid ass laws against cops so they can protect themselves from getting caught with their own dirty deeds!!!!
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by mike01 View Post
    In a liberal state like California,what else would you expect? Go ahead with the disclosure,but why stop with rank and file? Lets see all of everything. This should include all brass and even mayor himself. No? Hmmm?
    What's good for the goose, is good for the gander. Also have that citizen review board disclose. In reality though go fuck yourselves until you can prove wrongdooing

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO
    Police Commission OKs Financial Disclosure Requirement For Officers

Officers Union Plans Lawsuit

POSTED: 6:21 am PST December 20, 2007
    UPDATED: 10:39 am PST December 20, 2007

LOS ANGELES -- The Los Angeles Police Commission has unanimously approved a plan to require police officers who frequently handle cash, drugs and other contraband to submit detailed reports regarding their income and debts.

In response to that decision, the Los Angeles Police Protective League, which represents 9,000 officers, plans to file a lawsuit against the city, arguing that the state Constitution guarantees all citizens a right of privacy.

The lawsuit will be filed Thursday, according to league president Tim Sands.
    The Los Angeles Police Protective League, the union representing the LAPD rank-and-file, reacted angrily to the proposal, claiming many would quit rather than accept the close financial scrutiny.

In a statement, the LAPPL said that more than 500 LAPD officers in specialized units -- including gang enforcement and narcotics -- will request transfers or retire rather than submit to the "draconian" financial disclosure requirements.

"The requirements are overly intrusive and lacking in checks and balances," the League said.

Full article and video link: http://www.knbc.com/news/14896801/de...l?dl=mainclick

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><>
    The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by bufford408 View Post
    Agreed!! Especially here in California, where there was soooo much public consternation over officers' retirement benefits, I can see this adding fuel to the fire. There's already plenty of people out there who think officers make too much money and can retire too early (e.g., "Why should they be able to retire at 50? Most people can't do that!"). I can see this leading to some disgruntled media-type publishing an officer's previously personal financial details in the paper. To have complete financial disclosure will only make officers greater targets for the n'er-do-wells out there. I make enough sacrifices for my chosen career (proudly, I might add). I should not have to justify my financial existence to every curious Joe out there.
    The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

213th is offline Solipsist
    I hope all those officers stick with it and retire or transfer out if this goes into affect. Haven't these people ever heard of the Bill of Rights?
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Oh HELL no!
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    In a statement, the LAPPL said that more than 500 LAPD officers in specialized units -- including gang enforcement and narcotics -- will request transfers or retire rather than submit to the "draconian" financial disclosure requirements.
    The commander was on the news and she commented that she is concerned that there is going to be a mass exodus from the units and no requests for assignments in the units. The bangers and dopers can hardly wait.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

They want to know how the officers spend there money as well! I'm sorry... but this is BS!

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Absolute bullshit. I'd bring a printout of my finances written in invisible ink, piss and shit on it, wipe my ass with it, then toss it on the commission's desk.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    And ya'll wonder why I am so supportive of the FairTax. The IRS already does this to everyone of you. innocent political jab over

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

lynnz05 is offline Corporal
    My hourly rate is public information as well, if you google my first and last name the second thing you get is my hourly pay rate.
    What I say is my opinion, not my employers or that of my academic institution.

It isn't just about pay though... it is how much, how they spend it and what it is tied up in (investment/debt wise)

Thread Information