Welcome to the APBWeb.
    TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO

CCW parking permit

Shoppers fight over parking spot

Handgun flashed, threats made

By Shaun Byron
    Journal Register News Service

TROY -- 'Tis the season to be jolly apparently took a back seat to a fight over a parking space at Somerset Collection, with one party making a threat with his handgun.Troy police say just before 6 p.m. Saturday, a 29-year-old man from Westland driving a Dodge minivan allegedly pulled into a parking space another motorist driving a Ford Taurus was waiting for.

The other motorist, a 39-year-old man from Southfield, got out of his car and approached the driver's side of the van, Troy police Lt. Gerry Scherlinck said.
    Words were exchanged between the two men, and the argument became physical, involving a man and woman who were passengers in the van and a woman riding in the Taurus.
    "That is where the stories kind of started to conflict in terms of who pushed who," Scherlinck said.
    Mall security spotted the fight and immediately called 911. Officers arrived and tried to calm both groups.
    At some point during the fight, it's alleged the Southfield man pulled out a handgun and made threats.
    The Southfield man showed officers he had a permit to carry a concealed weapon, but denied flashing his gun, explaining he only pulled his coat up to show he was armed after being simultaneously punched by the man driving the van and his male passenger.
    A witness told officers they did see a fight between the two groups of people, but didn't see anyone flaunt a gun.
    None of the people wanted to pursue charges and they were allowed to go on their way.
    Scherlinck said this time of year sometimes produces hot tempers as people are in a hurry.
    "A classic move in these types of cases is where someone parks in a spot and returns to find their car has been keyed or damaged," he said. "We get at least one of those every season."
    Had officers not been able to calm the people involved, they would have most certainly gone to jail for disorderly conduct, Scherlinck said.
    "Sometimes the reality check of police showing up snaps them back to normal judgment mode," he said. "Then there are other people that can't take no for an answer and can't seem to feel reasonably, especially if they feel someone has violated some kind of right."
    What was most disturbing to the officers is that both vehicles also contained small children, Scherlinck said.
    "It definitely takes the atmosphere out of the season," he said.
    "When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Only newsworthy thanks to a nice, underhand jab at concealed weapons permits by the media...

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    If I am forced to show mine, rest assured slug follows.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    Impatience and ignorance never ceases to amaze me:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oID=1588845583

Job security for all of us!!!
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by armsmaster270 View Post
    If I am forced to show mine, rest assured slug follows.
    The old saying, "If you are going to be stupid enough to pull a gun, you better be smart enough to use it" comes to mind.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    Impatience and ignorance never ceases to amaze me:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oID=1588845583

Job security for all of us!!!
    Amazes me that with all the CCTV in Europe that the woman was stupid enough to pull this BS.

Thread Information