Welcome to the APBWeb.
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

Question FBI Plans $1 Billion Bio-Database to Help Identify Criminals

Parts of this sound very Big-Brotherish to me... but on the other hand, it might be something fun to work on .

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,...lawenforcement

Saturday, December 22, 2007

CLARKSBURG, W. Va. — The FBI wants to know more about you.

The Washington Post on Saturday reported the Bureau plans to spend $1 billion to build the world’s largest computer database of minute details of people’s physical characteristics, all in the name of identifying criminals and terrorists.

Click here to read the full story in The Washington Post.

When the project is complete, the pattern of one’s iris and face shape may alert the government to a terrorist’s identity. Upon request from employers, the FBI will retain fingerprints of employees and alert them if those workers violate the law. [So are they saying that, without your knowledge, your employeer makes the decision to put your fingerprints, DNA, picture, iris scan, and/or other bio-data into in some kind of super AFIS database (not just criminals, defense workers, and license holders)?]

The undertaking encompasses the gathering and storage of digital images of faces, fingerprints and palm patterns and is expected to use scars — and possibly speech and body movement — to give the government unprecedented access in identifying individuals around the world.

"Bigger. Faster. Better. That's the bottom line," Thomas E. Bush III, assistant director of the FBI's Criminal Justice Information Services Division, said in the article. The division operates the database from its headquarters in the Appalachian foothills.
    Critics say the project should not go forward unless it can be proven that the technology actually can single out a criminal in a crowd.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    it's for your own good
    dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass
    Life is to short not to experience Lazy Fed
    ___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-
    O RLY?? YA RLY NO WAI!!!!

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

MonsterMash is offline Proud 3%er
    We're from the government and we're here to help you.
    Are you a 3%er? If you aren't, you should be.

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Well, it better work better than NCIC 2000.....or we will be waiting for 20 years for it to produce anything.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I think it's just a cover story for a secret conspiracy to use biological data from the most notorious criminals to create an of clones! Begun, the clone war has!

Thread Information