Welcome to the APBWeb.
    OXCOPS is offline Usual Suspect

"Don't suffer from PTSD, go out and cause it."

Idaho Police Academy Slogan: 'Go Out and Cause' Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,318345,00.html

BOISE, Idaho — A state police academy leader has disavowed the slogan of the most recent graduating class urging one another to "go out and cause" post-traumatic stress disorder.

Each class at the Idaho Police Officer Standards and Training Academy is allowed to choose a slogan that is printed on its graduation programs, and the class of 43 graduates came up with "Don't suffer from PTSD, go out and cause it."

According to the Veterans Association, tens of thousands of U.S. soldiers suffer from PTSD, which causes nightmares, flashbacks and physical symptoms that make sufferers feel as if they are reliving trauma, even many years later. Crime, accidents and other trauma can cause it in civilians.

Ada County Sheriff Gary Raney, who attended the Dec. 14 graduation, pointed out the slogan to the academy's director, Jeff Black, minutes before the ceremony began, Raney said. A photograph of the program was e-mailed anonymously to news outlets throughout the state.

"That's not something we encourage or condone," Black said. "It shouldn't have been there. It was inappropriate."

Black said the class president was ex-military, and that the slogan "slipped in." He declined to identify the graduate. Black said future slogans would be vetted by academy leaders.

---------------------------------------------------------

I know PTSD is a real, and serious, illness, but this is just funny to me.

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    i think its funny also. not a bad mindset to have, even if it isn't very PC for the feelgooders.

i wouldn't paint it on a police car though

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I think it was a bit out there to have on the program for obvious touchy-feely media reasons and the results and attention it was sure to bring.

BUT ya know, to steal one of CB's phrases....fukketh themmeth! Every one of us need to have that warrior mindset to ensure we make it home at the end of our shift. What we encounter isn't pretty at times, and we're reminded day in and day out that people will kill us with no second thought. With that in mind, I personally think it's a hell of a personal slogan to have. When faced with that one person who's dead set on ending our lives we need to not only win, but win decisively, swiftly, and violently.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    i'm sure this has been posted before, but....kinda applicable

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    They should keep the slogan and tell the academy to mail their certificates to them b/c this is bullshit. It is their class and their slogan. If they graduate then they earned the right to coin their own slogan. You know what else grinds my gears? Well I'll tell ya! Jeff Black and the academy's leaders need to tie gasoline soaked rags around their ankles before the ants crawl up their legs and eat their candy asses. Damn political correctness!

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    need to tie gasoline soaked rags around their ankles before the ants crawl up their legs and eat their candy asses. Damn political correctness!
    Quoted from Dale Earnhardt. Yeah...I'm THAT good.

And I agree. PTSD is a serious illness, and no laughing matter. But this slogan isn't referring to PTSD sufferers who are firefighters, soldiers, police officers, or anyone else who put's their lives on the line to protect the naive sheep of our nation.

So, I see nothing wrong with the slogan; I in fact think it's fucking genius. I might put it on my business cards.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    or anyone else who put's their lives on the line to protect the naive sheep of our nation.
    I may be a naive sheep, but I thought the slogan was hilarious.

CT209 is offline Once..... Forever
    Verified LEO

Sorry- long read

I play on a gun forum. It seems a core group of members there are "up-in-arms" [pun intended] about it. They are indicating it shows that police have a us vs. them mentality and that is seemingly a problem. I wanted to say that if people would stop being buttheads, their interactions with the police may be better. I couldn't say that.

So, I said this:

Having dealt with the mental anguish that can develop in the aftermath of seroius incidents and having friends who developed PTSD, I still saw the humor in the slogan. Of course I am known to have a very inappropriate sense of humor.

Let's look at a few slogans:

Don’t run- you’ll just die tired!

Speak softly- but carry a big gun!

Kill them all- let God sort them out!

US Sniper- Long Distance Operator [with picture reference to phone company]

Do unto others before they do unto you.

Peace through superior firepower.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil- For I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

Do whatever it takes to come home at the end of your shift.

US Army Sniper- Getting head for your freedom.

Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.

You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead hands!

Train hard, fight easy... and win. Train easy, fight hard... and die.

If you run, you'll only go to jail tired!

The handcuffs are tight because they're new. They'll stretch out after you wear them awhile.

If you come for my guns- don’t be the first one through the door!

Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid!

Aim Small- Miss Small

Molon Labe

US Army Sniper- Getting head for your freedom

Join the [Insert Branch of Military here]. Visit strange and exotic places. Meet fascinating people. And kill them.

Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap - life is expensive.

HO-HO-Homicide! Our day begins when your ends

When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, “CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD”, I slow down, and then it occurs to me, “I'm not afraid of small children”. I speed back up!

They can have my guns- bullets first.

And lastly...

"Don't suffer from PTSD, go out and cause it."

Funny stuff, that list. Each and every one of the above mottos, slogans, or statements aim to educate others. Some are tongue-in-cheek. Some were surely made by people during dark moments in their lives when inappropriate humor is oft times used as a mechanism to distance ones self from the reality of the situation. Many have some type of humor imbedded in them.

So why is the last one so wrong. Are we so PC, we can’t joke about PTSD. After all, we all know it’s a serious problem, but the very attempt of making light of it is humor at its purest. That what all humans do (or rather used to do- I guess too many folks are buying into the whole PC issue these days).

The slogan in question is no different than the admonishment “Do it to them before they do it to you.” It says- Stay on top of your game! Don’t let your guard down! If push comes to shove- do what you have to do and don’t worry about it! That mindset doesn’t mean the officer has the intent to treat all by that statement, but rather the officer needs to get that mindset quickly as needed. It’s the mindset the officer needs when dealing with the people who mean to do you and them harm. Oh... is that concept too un-PC for a police officer to have? How about this one- “Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone.” Wait a minute- that is a favorite rule/motto used by [gasp] gun people [search for gunfight rules- it's there]. But, I gather it’s fine for them to use- I guess police officers need to be kind and gentle.

Police officers are the “rough men who stand ready to do violence on their behalf so the people can sleep peaceably in their beds at night”. Obviously, if you are anti-police, that concept will probably bother you as much as the slogan used by the recruit class. Sometimes mottos and slogans are designed to shock others. Sometimes they are designed to be inappropriate. But, there is always some truth to them. There’s always a bit of truth in them directed towards the people they are intended for.

Let me finish by apologizing on behalf of those future officers. But, if even one of them has to take a life during his career and comes to peace with the deed by remembering that slogan, I’ll be happy they remembered it. Because one of the saddest things that can happen is watching a good police officer tumble down into the depths of PTSD when the act that is causing the stress was necessary and the right thing to do.
    "When a crime is committed, liberals blame society. Conservatives blame the criminal." -Debra Saunders

Old Scottish Motto- "nemo me impune laccessit". It still holds true today.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    In fact, I do believe that the slogan may have originated with David Grossman. I do know I heard him say it...

It's about mindset and preparation for the incidents and events we deal with, not us vs. them mindset. The public creates enough of that without our help!

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    In fact, I do believe that the slogan may have originated with David Grossman. I do know I heard him say it...
    A news article attributes the slogan to David Grossman: http://www.spokesmanreview.com/break...y.asp?ID=12907

"Each POST class is allowed to vote on a slogan, Black said, and the latest class, which included officers bound for 19 police agencies around the state, selected the quote from retired Army Lt. Col. David Grossman. Grossman writes and teaches about mental survival for officers, and his work is particularly popular in military circles."

That David Grossman sure comes up with a lot of memorable sayings!

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Fukketh Themmeth.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

taco101 is offline Rookie
    Hell, I grew up on the slogan Sergeant Stan Jablonski: "Let's do it to them before they do it to us. " and that was on TV!
    "I wish I could speak whale." 1*

Thread Information