Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Pakistan opposition leader Bhutto assassinated

Pakistan opposition leader Benazir Bhutto was assassinated Thursday in a suicide bombing that also killed at least 20 others at a campaign rally, a party aide and a military official said.
    "At 6:16 p.m. she expired," said Wasif Ali Khan, a member of Bhutto's party who was at Rawalpindi General Hospital where she was taken after the attack.
    “She has been martyred,” added party official Rehman Malik. Bhutto was 54.

A party security adviser said Bhutto was shot in the neck and chest as she got into her vehicle, then the gunman blew himself up.
    A senior military official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to comment, confirmed that Bhutto had died.
    Her supporters at the hospital began chanting "Dog, Musharraf, dog," referring to Pakistan's president Pervez Musharraf. Some of them smashed the glass door at the main entrance of the emergency unit, others burst into tears.
    An Associated Press reporter at the scene of the bombing could see body parts and flesh scattered at the back gate of the Liaqat Bagh park where Bhutto had spoken. He counted about 20 bodies, including police, and could see many other wounded people.
    The road outside was stained with blood. People screamed for ambulances. Others gave water to the wounded lying in the street.
    The clothing of some of the victims was shredded and people put party flags over their bodies.
    Security had been tight, with hundreds of riot police manning security checkpoints with metal detectors around what was Bhutto's first campaign rally since returning from exile two months ago.
    Bhutto had planned an earlier rally in the city, but Musharraf forced her to cancel it, citing security fears. In October, suicide bombers struck a parade celebrating Bhutto’s return, killing more than 140 people in the southern city of Karachi.
    Jan. 8 elections
    Parties across the country were stepping up campaigning for the Jan. 8 elections after a Muslim holiday late last week and a holiday on Tuesday for the birthday of Pakistan’s founder and revered first leader, Mohammad Ali Jinnah.
    Western allies hope the election will restore stability in a nuclear-armed country vital to their battle against Islamist militancy. The three-way race had pitted Bhutto against the party of another former prime minister, Nawaz Sharif, and a party that backs Musharraf, who took power in a 1999 coup.
    The elections are for provincial parliaments and for a National Assembly from which a prime minister and a government will be drawn.
    In recent weeks, suicide bombers have repeatedly targeted security forces in Rawalpindi, a city near the capital where Musharraf stays and the Pakistan army has its headquarters.
    Before the rally, scheduled for Thursday afternoon, Bhutto had met with visiting Afghan President Hamid Karzai at the end of his two-day visit here.
    “We too believe that it is essential for both of our countries, and indeed the larger Muslim world, to work to protect the interest of Islamic civilization by eliminating extremism and terrorism,” she said after their meeting.

Click for related content
    Fact file: A look at Bhutto's life, politics

Family targeted over the years
    Bhutto's family is no stranger to violence.
    Her father, Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, was Pakistan's first popularly elected prime mister. He was executed in 1979 after being deposed in a military coup.
    Bhutto became the first female prime minister in the Muslim world when she was elected in 1988 at the age of 35. She was deposed in 1990, re-elected in 1993, and ousted again in 1996 amid charges of corruption and mismanagement.
    She said the charges were politically motivated but in 1999 chose to stay in exile rather than face them.
    Both of her brothers died in mysterious circumstances and she had said al-Qaida assassins tried to kill her several times in the 1990s.
    Intelligence reports have said al-Qaida, the Taliban and Pakistani jihadi groups have sent suicide bombers after her.

Aamir Qureshi / AFP-Getty Images
    Benazir Bhutto waves to supporters as she arrives for an election compaign rally in Rawalpindi, Pakistan. She and at least 20 others were killed as the rally ended.
    View related photos
    Video

Bhutto killed
    Dec. 27: A suicide bombing at a political rally kills Pakistani opposition leader Benazir Bhutto. NBC's Matt Lauer

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22406555/

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    They've been after her for years, now they've gotten her. We had better watch this powder keg closely, the backlash could serve to spark a major revolution in Pakistan and cause a shift in power. This is big, and it has the potential to be huge. Pakistan is the locale of choice for radical Islamists to hide out, and more than a few rumors have held that this is where Bin Laden has been laying low.

Instability in Pakistan is of deep concern for the entire region, especially since Pakistan is already a nuclear power. For those who think that nuclear proliferation isn't our business, remember that when revolution comes to an unstable country (like Pakistan), and sworn enemies of the U.S. have a chance to access materials and security codes for any device potentially having destructive power to literally slaughter tens of thousands indiscriminately.

It will be interesting to see if her death will actually equate into martyrdom and spark an uprising of the people against Islamo-facism there. This is a powder keg.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    Instability in Pakistan is of deep concern for the entire region, especially since Pakistan is already a nuclear power. For those who think that nuclear proliferation isn't our business, remember that when revolution comes to an unstable country (like Pakistan), and sworn enemies of the U.S. have a chance to access materials and security codes for any device potentially having destructive power to literally slaughter tens of thousands indiscriminately.
    Roger that. I feel that the nuclear terrorist attack is going to happen. I just hope that it does not happen in the U.S. I also pray that whomever is in power here has the marbles to utterly destroy everyone and every country that has a hand in the terrorist attack. Any retaliation to a nuclear terrorist attack should be swift and without quarter.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Here's a news clip about Benazir Bhutto's career.

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2007/news/benazir.bhutto/

She was a brave patriot who repeatedly gave up her safe, comfortable life in exile to return to her homeland to work for peace, democracy, and development, despite threats of imprisonment and death. May she rest in peace.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Roger that. I feel that the nuclear terrorist attack is going to happen. I just hope that it does not happen in the U.S. I also pray that whomever is in power here has the marbles to utterly destroy everyone and every country that has a hand in the terrorist attack. Any retaliation to a nuclear terrorist attack should be swift and without quarter.
    All the more reason to elect a presidential candidate who is strong on defense issues and aggressive in posture concerning national security.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Thread Information