Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Do you agree with the Superintendent having these secret, hidden cameras installed?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

40 85.11%
  • No

7 14.89%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Thumbs down Reporters for a high school newspaper uncover hidden cameras throughout the school near locker rooms and bathrooms placed there by the Superintendent

Several hidden security cameras hung in the halls of Newton South High School for months, not yet operational and apparently undetected, until reporters for the school's student newspaper started asking questions. Now the School Committee and teachers' union say they want an explanation, and the superintendent is promising to be more forthcoming about the new security tactic before activating the cameras, intended to catch thieves.

"We probably did not introduce this security measure in a particularly great way, and we need to go back now, after vacation, with both high school principals and figure out what their security needs are and what possible steps are involved, and see how we can better communicate that policy to the public," Superintendent Jeffrey M. Young said yesterday.
    Newton South's student newspaper, the Denebola, broke the story in its Dec. 19 issue under the headline "Secret Cameras installed," with an accompanying editorial criticizing administrators for not telling students they would be watched.
    The editors won't say how the paper learned of the existence of the cameras, which are hidden inside dark-tinted domes or disguised as smoke alarms. But they said in a statement that the story, written by juniors Jason Kuo and Nathan Yeo, was held a month so they could get comment from the school's principal, Brian Salzer, who had been in China. He confirmed to the students that the cameras had been put in place.
    "One of the premises of running the article was that the community should know and have a discussion before cameras are installed," co-editors Olivia DaDalt and Alex Schneider, both seniors, wrote in an e-mail to the Globe.
    Young said the district spent $12,000 out of its general maintenance budget to install the cameras at the end of the summer outside of locker rooms and bathrooms, where school officials had noted several thefts of student property. He said the School Committee was not asked to sign off on the specific purchase.
    Young said he was not sure why the cameras had not been activated, but said he believed it was a software issue. Once the cameras are activated, the school's principal will be able to view recordings in an effort to identify who may have been involved in wrongdoing. They were not to be continually monitored, he said.
    Schools are increasingly installing security cameras, both discreet ones and easily identifiable, said Glenn Koocher, executive director of the Massachusetts Association of School Committees. Typically, though, such cameras are used at entrances to identify intruders.
    "It's largely around the issue of making sure the appropriate people come into the building, and the people who shouldn't be there don't come into the building," Koocher said. "Theft is a major issue, but so is trespassing."
    He added that it is not uncommon for students to be unaware that security cameras are present. "You don't necessarily want people knowing all the time where the cameras are."
    Dori Zaleznik, chairwoman of the School Committee, said it had not been informed about the cameras. She declined to comment further, saying the panel needed to be briefed by administrators.
    Cheryl Turgel, president of the Newton Teachers Association, said the union has supported security cameras in the past, but teachers should not have learned about them from the student newspaper.
    "It's not that security cameras are taboo, it's just the way they were done," she said.
    Julie Sall of the Newton South Parent Teacher Student Organization said the group had not been informed of the camera installation, but there had been discussion about the possibility.
    Still, she said protecting students is paramount. "If the security is for internal theft, frankly that would be great," she said.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Maybe it's for a reality show!

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    What's the big friggin deal? So long as they aren't hidden in the restroom or locker room who cares.

The entitled little bastards don't have any right to know where the cameras are. Keep em honest.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge113 View Post
    What's the big friggin deal? So long as they aren't hidden in the restroom or locker room who cares.

The entitled little bastards don't have any right to know where the cameras are. Keep em honest.
    +1
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Donut Aficionado is offline The Hillbilly Warlord
    Verified LEO
    It was a covert security camera that caught the girls that stole my daughters purse on the first day of school this year. I am all for it as long as the cameras are not put in places like locker rooms.

The girl that did the theft got a warning...........
    Insert witty comment and disclaimer here.

Illiy is offline Corporal
    I agree... no questionable areas...

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Let's see... "cameras hidden in dark tinted domes." It ain't hard to recognize those camera domes!

And... what was the issue in the first place? As has been said, they weren't placed in bathrooms or locker rooms. No reasonable expectation of privacy in a school hallway. In fact, there probably ought to be cameras in the classrooms, too!
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    In fact, there probably ought to be cameras in the classrooms, too!
    Cameras in every public area of the school would be fine by me. Then they can put it on the web so parents can see the feed at anytime. I would love this.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

ManImBored is offline Ninja In Training
    Verified LEO

+2. They are called security cameras for a reason. If the little turds know where the cameras are, they will steal the stuff from the area with no cameras, its common sense.
    "Sometimes doing the right thing, is not doing the right thing."

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO

I agree with you, except the last part. They definitely need cameras in the cheerleader locker rooms...you cannot trust them and they must be watched 24-7
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    I agree with you, except the last part. They definitely need cameras in the cheerleader locker rooms...you cannot trust them and they must be watched 24-7

Heh there Bob, I got a little registration paperwork I need you to fill out and get back to me. That would be greeeaaaaatttt!

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Heh there Bob, I got a little registration paperwork I need you to fill out and get back to me. That would be greeeaaaaatttt!
    does it involve me having to go to all my neighbors and warn them about the "seedy, insidious bastard that lives on their street?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

Cst.SB is offline Officer First Class
    As the end of my SRO stint comes up I can tell you that having cameras overt/covert would be an awesome thing in my school. Especially ones that shoot the entrance ways to wash/locker rooms, as they are the two worst locations for dealing and thefts.

A complete cell phone ban would be awesome as well!!! Nothing like a couple thousand kids calling home during a bomb threat to drop a cell tower!

Probation13-901 is offline Master Officer
    agree that they should keep the cameras. I don't see why there is such an uproar about it.

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    Shit I took a chance and voted before I read the article. Should have known better...
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I don't see what the big deal is. Camera's are a great deterent to crime in the schools, they should have them in the classroom also, any area that does not interfere with privacy. I'm sure the teachers would feel much more secure also. With what they get paid and what they put up with on a daily basis, they deserve at least some security measures.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Cameras in every public area of the school would be fine by me. Then they can put it on the web so parents can see the feed at anytime. I would love this.
    Agreed!
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Agreed!

I bet you two weeks pay that teachers' unions would raise holy hell.

Probation13-901 is offline Master Officer
    [QUOTE=mack;303444] I'm sure the teachers would feel much more secure also. QUOTE]

I don't know about some of them, they may get caught napping.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Whoa whoa whoa... let's not be hasty. We can put them in the girls locker room's. You know, for safety. And to make sure no perverts are watching, I'll be the only one to monitor them.

Brad said he gets the boy's locker rooms.

Wait- whut?
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information