Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO

Only known Holocaust survivor in MS dies

Cancer Claims State's Only Holocaust Survivor

JACKSON, Miss. -- Gilbert Metz, the only known Holocaust survivor residing in Mississippi, has died of pancreatic cancer. He was 78.
    Metz was often called upon to share his story of imprisonment at Auschwitz and Dachau concentration camps during World War II.
    Historian Stuart Rockoff at the Goldring-Woldenberg Institute of Southern Jewish Life in Jackson said Metz was the best source of the story of the Holocaust in Mississippi because he lived through it.
    Metz was a native of French Alsace-Lorraine and at age 14 he and his family were carted off to Auschwitz in 1943.
    Metz was the only member of his immediate family to survive the Holocaust.
    After the war, a then 17-year-old Metz immigrated to Natchez to live with an aunt.
    A decorated Korean War veteran, Metz built a career in the garment industry before retiring in 2000.
    I knew this man. I knew he was Jewish but I had no idea that he was a holocaust survivor until one day I noticed the numbers tattooed on his forearm. I immediately realized the significance and a huge chill ran over me.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    May he rest in peace.

Cst.SB is offline Officer First Class
    So Sad.

I'm surprised that some of these men and women lived so long (and are still living) The horrors they all went through, it's surprising their bodies haven't giving out much earlier.

What's ironic, is that I popped on LEF to see what's happening before emailing a holocaust survivor friend of mine.

I think I'll call instead.

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    I lived in Austria for awhile and was able to tour one of the concentration camps. It was one of the most memory making events so far in my life. It was very sad and as wierd as this sounds...peaceful in that it was so very quiet. I have never been to a quieter place. Some of the fields were covered in beautiful flowers whose beauty was somewhat ruined by the fact that thousands were buried in mass graves right below.

After the tour they showed a movie that was made when this particular camp was discovered by American servicemen. The faces of the soldiers as they discovered the thousands of "living" skeletons was unbelievable.

To know is one thing...to see I guess is another. Sad part in history.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Unfortunately we are losing the Holocaust Survivors and WWII Vets as time and age take it's toll. We should all keep the memory alive and never forget what these people went through. Some factions have attempted to dismiss the Holocaust as a lie, it is a disgrace to the memory of the lost ones. Cidp24 thank you for sharing Mr Metz with us.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    My family and I visited Dachau when we were in Germany earlier this year. One of the most eerie experiences I've ever had.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Probation13-901 is offline Master Officer
    It's a sad loss. I just hope that more of the WWII and Holocaust survivor's can get there story recorded for other generation to hear.

1*girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolven View Post
    I lived in Austria for awhile and was able to tour one of the concentration camps.
    That would be an interesting tour to take, one that everyone should be able to have.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Originally Posted by Wolven
    I lived in Austria for awhile and was able to tour one of the concentration camps.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1*girl View Post
    That would be an interesting tour to take, one that everyone should be able to have.
    Agreed. I am very glad to have had the chance to do it. It was truly a humbling experience to have stood on that ground. Such atrocities should never be forgotten or repeated.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

1*girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Agreed. I am very glad to have had the chance to do it. It was truly a humbling experience to have stood on that ground. Such atrocities should never be forgotten or repeated.

Too bad it can't be a required field trip for kids in school, rather than removing it from the history books...

Cst.SB is offline Officer First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by 1*girl View Post
    Too bad it can't be a required field trip for kids in school, rather than removing it from the history books...
    That's why we should be bringing it to them.

As police officers we're in a fairly unique role. Sometimes it's a pain in the ass because people want us to be everything all in one - social worker, educator, enforcer, paramedic, to counselor and clergy.

So, why not try being creative and use it to your advantage?

Last year I took a group of 28 teenage, pot smoking, alley dwellers to the local holocaust education center and it was an amazing experience - huge eye opener for all of them.

They went through a Schindler's List exhibit (Vancouver has four "Schindler" survivors still living) and then they met a child survivor who was hidden by a group of nun in an orphanage, while his parents were taken to Auschwitz, and murdered.

It wasn't hard to put together..(I am a fly by the seat of my pants kinda guy.. lol)

One afternoon after speaking with the principle of the high school I currently work in ( I have one high school, 8 feeder schools, and one high risk alternate program ) and ran my idea to take some kids to the holocaust museum past him and he said go for it.

So, I went to my office booked a tour, hopped in the car and drove into the local transit depot and within 15 minutes I had them donate a full sized city bus and driver.

The school paid the $50 fee to the museum and put together permission slips for me, and off we went a week later.

This year after meeting another survivor at a hate crimes conference l asked him if he would come speak to kids at the school. He agreed, and made the mistake of telling me "the more the better", so I had him come in a speak to 450 grade 11 and 12s.

So, this month I planned a three part (two would work fine) series of presentations.

The first was a video presentation to open them up to imagery and military video footage that many of them have never seen. I've watched numerous holocaust documentaries, and one of the best is the Oprah Auschwitz Special, so I used that one. Oprah travels to Auschwitz and takes a tour guided by Nobel Peace Prize winner Ellie Wiesel. If you haven't seen it, I recommend seeing it.

I then had the survivor I met come in the following week to speak with them. He spoke about growing up and how happy his family was, then being transported by cattle car to Birkenau, where his mother and sister we put death the day they arrived. And where later his father and two brother were murdered.

He shows a video of himself reuniting with the soldier who liberated in Philadelphia in the 1980s. That short video clip is amazing.

He then finishes off with a question and answer period.

I wrapped it up with a third hour the following week.

I am going to continue doing this for as long as my friend is willing to speak to youth, no matter what my posting is (SRO for us is 2-3 years max)

He's heading to Oklahoma I think in the next couple of months, and I can post the where and when when the time comes if anyone is interested.

So again, I encourage all of you who have ever thought about doing this, to approach your SRO, or your high school principle and go for it.

jrae Guest
    I was just wondering if anyone has read the books by Art Spiegleman. His books are called Maus: A Survivor's tale I and II. I had to read one of these books about three years ago for a college history class. It was a very interesting book, actually in comic book form. I have never seen anything else like it. Unfortunately, a friend borrowed it, so it looks like I will have to borrow another one. If anyone is looking for a good read about the Holocaust, I recommend it.

Thread Information