Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO

Unhappy Drunk Driver Hits Ramsey County Squad, Killing Deputy's Ride-Along Wife

Deputy was working Safe & Sober detail. Wife was along for a ride-along.

http://stmedia.startribune.com/image...5/1CRASH.1.jpg

http://www.startribune.com/local/12956586.html
    Ramsey County squad car involved in fatal crash on Hwy. 10

A sheriff deputy's wife was killed in the early morning accident and the deputy was injured.

By TIM HARLOW AND LORA PABST, Star Tribune Staff Writers
    Last update: January 1, 2008 - 11:41 AM

A driver going the wrong way on Hwy. 10 in Arden Hills crashed into a Ramsey County sheriff's squad car early today, killing a deputy's wife who was riding along as a passenger.

The State Patrol identified the victim as Margaret L. Lopez, 56, of Shoreview. She died at the scene. Her husband, sheriff's deputy Joseph Lopez, 61, was injured and taken to Regions Hospital. He was discharged this morning, said Ashley Burt, a hospital spokeswoman.

Lt. Mark Peterson of the Minnesota State Patrol said a black sedan was headed eastbound -- the wrong way -- around 3:35 a.m. on Hwy. 10 when it struck the squad just east of Interstate Hwy. 35W.

Joseph Lopez is a 27-year veteran deputy with the Ramsey County Sheriff's Office, its spokeswoman Holli Drinkwine said. Margaret Lopez was not a Ramsey County sheriff's deputy, but was with her husband for a ride-along, Drinkwine said.

A 23-year-old woman who was driving the black sedan was injured and taken to Regions Hospital with a torn aorta. She was in critical condition Tuesday morning, and alcohol may have been a factor in the crash, Peterson said.

The Ramsey County squad was headed westbound on Hwy. 10, on patrol looking for drunk drivers, Peterson said. The sheriff's office allows non-officers to ride along as observers. Drinkwine said authorities will examine whether all procedures were followed in this case.

Westbound Hwy. 10 near the accident scene was closed for several hours as authorities investigated and cleaned up the debris. The highway has reopened.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

1*girl Guest
    Man! What a way to start off the year. I hope God is with her and her family. Glad to hear he's been discharged from the hospital, though.

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    OMG....just no words. I can't imagine what he is going through.
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

1*girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Just KC View Post
    I can't imagine what he is going through.
    I wonder if he'll retire or stay with the job? I'm sure at that age if it were me, I'd just go ahead and retire.

dkpd1384 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I would think he would retire too,,can't see how he would get back in a unit after something like that happened. Why I glad we do not favor ride along especially with relatives. Glad he is out of the hospital but I don't think his biggest problem wioll be getting over the physical injuries. As far as the other driver should already be charged with vehicular homicide,,no waiting involved.

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    I couldn't imagine what he must be going through.

"Stupid should hurt."

Thats why I dont let my guys have family for ride alongs. I hope he has a strong group of guys. He is going to need to lean on them.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Retire my ass. I would be in custody if something like that happened. That is why I don't even eat in uniform with my wife. To many bad things can happen when you get your family mixed up in this profession.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Retire my ass. I would be in custody if something like that happened. That is why I don't even eat in uniform with my wife. To many bad things can happen when you get your family mixed up in this profession.
    +1

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Illiy is offline Corporal
    Prayers...

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    beyond awful!!!
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    That's just horrible, thoughts and prayers to the deputy and his family.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky

Prayers en-route.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    That's just sickening. I hope he gets over it, but how do you get over something like that?

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Thoughts/Prayers for the whole family.

We recently lost a Border Patrol agent in San Diego County the same way. On his way home from work on the freeway late at night. A wrong way DUI driver hit him head-on and killed him.

About 1 month after that, I was on my way home on the freeway at about 0110 hours. I was in the #2 lane at about 70 and a wrong-way driver in the #1 passed by me at close to 100 MPH. A full-size pickup truck. The headlights blended in with the traffic on the other side of the freeway and I didn't notice until the truck was about 100 yards away. No time to even flinch.

Thoughts from helplessness to anger.

Be careful out there folks!
    Those who live by the sword... get shot by those who don't.

bmf95b is offline PATROL DEPUTY
    So sad.
    Thats one reason I would never bring my wife on a ride a long. You never know what can happen.

chp7016 is offline Ret. Ca Highway Patrol Sgt
    Verified LEO
    So very tragic. One's worst nightmare.

No disrespect intended to any previous posters but it has been pointed out that the aforementioned tragedy is why they wouldn't bring their spouses on a ride-along.

I don't see what being on a ride-along has to do with being hit by a drunk driver. You and your spouse could just as easily be struck by a drunk driver going out to dinner, right? Does anybody think that cruising down the road in a black and white with a ride-along increase your chances of being hit by a drunk?

If I'm missing something, please advise.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Because the officer's wife was killed while on a ride along. I run into people that I have arrested all to often off duty and on meal breaks while on duty. I never sit with my back to doors nor do I venture out unarmed. Everyone on this board can get killed at anytime. However, I accecpted that things could happen to me in this profession. I will be damned if I loose my wife to the risks associated with this life because someone has a problem with me or something that I have done while performing my duties. Tempting fate just doesn't seem like a good idea in regards to someone that I value above even myself.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Because the officer's wife was killed while on a ride along. I think that is what you missed
    No, didn't miss that. My point is, what difference does it make if she is in a patrol car or the family minivan? It just so happened she was on a ride-along. Should I never drive anywhere with my wife as a passenger? Or are we only targets for the drunk drivers when we are in a patrol car? This could happen to any one of us driving any type of car with any passenger in any line of work any time we get behind the wheel and take to the road.

Sad as it was, I don't see this incident as being a reason to not have your wife ride along with you.

Having a ride-along may limit the types of incidents you could respond to while on duty. Would I participate in a traffic pursuit with my wife on board? Of course not. Truth be known, I wouldn't have my wife with me on a ride-along anyway because there are just too many situations that I wouldn't, and shouldn't, be putting her in.

Clear as mud?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information