Welcome to the APBWeb.
    TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO

Single Bullet Fired Into Colorado Home Kills Woman, Girl at New Year's Eve Party

Single Bullet Fired Into Colorado Home Kills Woman, Girl at New Year's Eve Party

ENVER An 11-year-old girl and a woman were killed by a single bullet fired into a home from hundreds of yards away early Tuesday, possibly by a New Year's reveler, police said.

Police spokesman Sonny Jackson said the bizarre shooting, which came shortly after midnight, may have been accidental. No arrests had been made, but investigators said they did not believe a sniper was on the loose.
    The victims' names had not been released. It wasn't immediately known if they were related.
    Police said the pair were at a party with about 10 other people when at least one shot was fired from up to 300 yards away, possibly from across a park next to the home. Jackson said one bullet went through the front wall of the house, passed through the head of the woman, who was seated, and struck the girl in the side.
    Jackson said investigators traced the trajectory of the shot to determine that the single bullet killed both victims.

A second bullet was found in a snowbank in front of the home.
    The woman died at the scene and the girl was pronounced dead at a hospital.
    link
    "When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Cheezus.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Similar thing happened here a few years ago.

A person was killed in their own bed.

We also had someone killed by a falling bullet after shots fired into the air.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    That's so sad. I've never understood why people celebrate the new year with gunfire. I know a few people in Detroit who actually sit on the floor away from the windows for an hour or so into the new year.

cajunguy is online now I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    Sure hope they catch the dumbazz!!

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Some people don't know Newton's Law of Gravity, what goes up must come down.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Very sad
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by mack View Post
    Some people don't know Newton's Law of Gravity, what goes up must come down.
    Thats what I was thinking. Never could understand why people need to celebrate with gunfire. Those people should never be allowed to own guns.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    This type of thing is why those of us on shift went into the station or parked under hard cover from 2345-0015.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

MonsterMash is offline Proud 3%er
    Quote Originally Posted by CTR man View Post
    Thats what I was thinking. Never could understand why people need to celebrate with gunfire. Those people should never be allowed to own guns.
    Most of em are thugs with records preventing the ownership of weapons. The majority of the guns are stolen.
    Are you a 3%er? If you aren't, you should be.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky

arrest made

Double Slaying Suspect Says He Was Shooting At Street Light

Suspect Makes First Court Appearance Wednesday

By Lance Hernandez, 7NEWS Reporter
    POSTED: 1:47 pm MST January 1, 2008
    UPDATED: 5:37 pm MST January 2, 2008

DENVER -- A man arrested in the slaying of two people says he was firing at a street light, according to police. The bullet blasted through a wall and hit two people in a west Denver home early New Year's Day.

Pedro Cortez, 25, was arrested at his home in west Denver late Tuesday by the Denver Police Homicide Unit, Fugitive Unit and the Fugitive Location and Apprehension Group. According to an arrest affidavit, Cortez told police he was firing at a street light with a .44-caliber handgun.

Cortez is being held for investigation of two counts of first-degree murder and was in court Wednesday morning.

After his advisement, Cortez looked into the section of the courtroom where members of the public were seated and mouthed the words "Love you" to family members.

Police detectives said that the home that was hit was in a direct line of fire behind a street light at Wells Place and Winona Court.
    Colorado Bureau of Investigation records show Cortez was arrested in 2000 on aggravated robbery and menacing charges.

"It was a high-powered rifle," said Denver Police Chief Gerry Whitman on Tuesday, incorrectly identifying the weapon used. He said that the first victim, a 47-year-old woman, was struck in the head and died instantly.
    Whitman said the same bullet then hit an 11-year-old girl in her chest. She was taken to Denver Health Medical Center and was pronounced dead Tuesday morning.

Family member Norma Kaholo identified the girl as her niece, Angelica Martinez, and the woman as Kaholo's cousin, Rebecca Yanez. She said they were at a small family gathering at the time.
    Kaholo said the shooting cannot be excused even if it was accidental.

"When you shoot, the bullet has to go somewhere," she said.
    Investigators believe the fatal shot was fired from 200 to 300 yards away at 12:20 a.m. Tuesday. They placed a dowel rod in the bullet hole in the wall of the house, then used laser light to trace the bullet's trajectory.

Neighbors said they heard a number of gunshots at midnight. Connie Dominguez said it's not unusual to hear gunfire and fireworks as people celebrate the start of the new year.
    But she said this year it went too far.
    "It's mind blowing to know that this was an 11-year-old girl that is gone, and we will never see her on this block again."

"It could be an accident," Whitman said. "But any way you look at it, it's illegal to fire a gun in the city. And something that reckless is definitely illegal."
    "This was my child's playmate," Dominguez said. "These kids spent their summers together."
    Dominguez's son, Michael, knew the 11-year-old victim and said she was a very energetic, happy girl.

"It is really hard," Michael Dominguez said. "She was the supporter in our little group that we hang out with."
    Both victims were attending a family party with about 10 other people when the shooting happened, police said.

It was the second New Year's Day fatal shooting in two years. Denver Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams was shot and killed at about 2 a.m. on Jan. 1, 2007, while riding in a limousine after leaving a nightclub. No one has been charged in his slaying.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Probation13-901 is offline Master Officer
    It happens every year. Some people are just plain stupid!

Thread Information