Welcome to the APBWeb.
    CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Drunk driver kills 5 people on I-280

http://www.wtol.com/global/story.asp?s=7559419

Posted: Dec 31, 2007 02:24 AM
    Updated: Jan 1, 2008 03:03 PM
    News 11 talks with neighbors of crash victims 911 calls, part 2 -- reporting the accident 911 calls, part 1 Reporter questions during press conference Police press conference on I-280 crash Timeline and 911 calls in I-280 crash A picture of the I-280 crash victims Cop on I-280 crash scene talks Neighbors near scene of crash talk to News 11 Update from St. V's on I-280 crash
    Check All | Clear All

The Chevy Astro van carrying eight members of an extended family was struck, killing five people.
    The pick-up truck struck the van head-on, then sheared the passenger side of the van, ejecting several people.
    The pick-up truck driven by Michael Gagnon, 24, was going the wrong direction on I-280 when it struck the Chevy Astro "practically head-on," police said.
    Michael Gagnon, 24, has been charged with five counts of vehicular homicide.
    The crash killed five members of the Burkeman/Griffin family.
    More On WTOL.com How you can help the I-280 crash victims 911 tapes released from I-280 drivers I-280 crash affidavits Alcohol-free New Year's Eve event in Sylvania Free towing & rides home New Year's Eve

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE='JavaScript1.1'>if (document.layers) {document.write('<SCR' + 'IPT language=JavaScript1.1 SRC=/Global/ad.asp?type=single&cls1=Ne ws&src1=loc&spct1=100& amp;sz1=wnsz_20&callType=s cript />'); document.close();}</SCRIPT>

Latest News more>> Snow storm welcoming the new year
    School -- and Other -- Closings & Delays
    Staying safe on New Year's Eve
    Ron Paul supporters lash out at FOX News
    Video spurs new doubts over Bhutto murder
    U.S. diplomat killed in Sudan attack
    Cincinnati Post closes after 126 years
    Liberian anti-crime tool: Cell phones
    New year, new same-sex unions

TOLEDO (AP) -- A head-on collision between a drunk pickup truck driver going the wrong way on an interstate and a minivan killed five people in the minivan, including two children from Michigan, officials say.

The accident occurred late Sunday night when the minivan, traveling in the southbound lanes on Interstate 280 near the I-75 interchange, collided with the truck, going north in the southbound lanes, assistant fire chief Luis Santiago said.

Officials at Toledo Municipal Court say the truck driver's blood alcohol count came back as .254, more than three times the legal limit in the state of Ohio, which is .08.
    The driver of the pickup, Michael Gagnon, 24, was taken to a hospital and released the next day. He has been booked on five counts of aggravated vehicular homicide.

Bits of gift wrap and toys were strewn about the highway, suggesting the minivan was carrying a family heading home from the holidays, Santiago said.

"It was among the worst I've seen," he said of the crash scene.

Bethany Griffin, 36, Jordan Griffin, 10, and Vadie Griffin, 2 months, all of Parkville, Md., were killed in the crash along with Lacie Burkeman, 7, and Haley Burkeman, 10, according to the Lucas County Coroner's office.

Danny Griffin, Jr., and two children from the minivan were taken to St. Vincent Mercy Medical Center, Santiago said.

Griffin, Jr., 36, of Parkville, Md., is listed in serious condition; Sydney Griffin, 8, also of Parkville, is in critical condition; and Beau Burkeman, 8, was treated and released, a hospital spokeswoman said.
    Brett Burkeman -- age unknown -- was not with the family at the time of the crash.
    The Burkeman children are those of Bethany Griffin from a previous marriage. The Griffin children are those of Danny Griffin from a previous marriage. The baby was the daughter of both Bethany and Danny Griffin.
    Around 11 p.m. Sunday, officers received a call from employees at a Taco Bell that a man who had stopped for food was driving drunk. By the time police arrived, Gagnon had left the restaurant in a Ford F-350 and got on Interstate 280 driving the wrong way in the southbound lane. Moments later, police say the truck crashed into a Chevy Astro van carrying eight people near the Manhattan overpass. The van was driven by Danny Griffin, Jr., 36.
    The two vehicles struck nearly head-on. Both vehicles had tried to swerve out of the way of the other. The heavier Ford truck sheared off the passenger-side doors of the van. Several passengers on the passenger side were ejected from the van. It appears at least some of the van passengers were wearing seat belts as both the passenger and the seat were ejected.
    Officers later found out Gagnon had been drinking at the Rodeo Bar and Grill on Navarre Ave. When he left there, he stopped at the aforementioned Taco Bell, which prompted people to call the Oregon police. By the time the police arrived -- just 2 minutes and 12 seconds later --Gagnon was gone.
    The Associated Press contributed to this report.
    Statement from Mayor Carty Finkbeiner
    Regarding Traffic Deaths on I-280
    December 31, 2007
    Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family of Danny Griffin. I would ask all Toledoans to pray for those who survived -- particularly eight year old Sidney Griffin -- who remains in critical condition in St. Vincent Mercy Medical Center. The driver of the pickup truck, Michael Gagnon, will be charged upon his release from the hospital and prosecuted to the maximum extent of the law.
    The tragic accident late last night on I-280 should serve as a stark reminder to all citizens to not drink and drive as we wrap up the 2007 holiday season. The deaths of five people, including four children, need not have happened had one individual had the common sense to not get behind the wheel after he'd been drinking.
    Please, if you drink, do not drive. There are several options available for holiday partiers this evening -- including free tows from ABCO Towing of Toledo. There is no reason or excuse to drive while intoxicated.
    Updated by KO

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE='JavaScript1.1'>if (document.layers) {document.write('<SCR' + 'IPT language=JavaScript1.1 SRC=/Global/ad.asp?type=single&cls1=Ne ws&src1=nat&spct1=100& amp;sz1=wnsz_49&callType=s cript />'); document.close();}</SCRIPT>

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

E-man is offline No bird but dog and 3 cats
    Verified LEO
    I was just going to post this.
    I read this this morning at work and glad I was the only one in the station, I got a piece of dust in my eyes.

I slammed the desk when I read the driver was just injured..

I hope that puke driver gets anally violated for the rest of his miserable hell filled life.

I want to drive out there and take care of him myself, I was sooooo freaking angry.

Hope the innocent family can find some semblence of peace...
    A monday morning lunatic, disturbed from time to time. Temporary catatonic madman on occasion..

Lightning crashes a new mother cries, her placenta falls to the floor. The angel opens her eyes,the confusion sets in before the doctor can even close the door..
    The views and comments of E-man are mine and mine alone and therefore might not reflect the views of others or people in my current department. As such since this is still America I can post what I want without fear of retribution. I think.

RIP Eric

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I am sure this idiot will have many years in prison to ponder over the destruction and loss of life that he caused.

Prayers to the families involved and to the responders that had to view and clean up this mess.

He killed 5 people including a 2 week old baby, his mother, and several siblings. This family will be maimed for life because of his actions. What a loser. I read somewhere that this guy wasn't even supposed to be driving. His family had rented 3 rooms at the Toledo Holiday Inn. He had no reason to even be on the road. I am just sorry that LE couldn't get to him in time. There were three 911 calls on his ass. Unbelievable that this even had to happen.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Looks like this puke walked away with a little cut on his chin, bastard!

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

E-man is offline No bird but dog and 3 cats
    Verified LEO
    Heres a link for the story in the local paper there.
    I dont think they will approve my comment, its contains some harsh reality..

http://www.wnwo.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=80019
    A monday morning lunatic, disturbed from time to time. Temporary catatonic madman on occasion..

Lightning crashes a new mother cries, her placenta falls to the floor. The angel opens her eyes,the confusion sets in before the doctor can even close the door..
    The views and comments of E-man are mine and mine alone and therefore might not reflect the views of others or people in my current department. As such since this is still America I can post what I want without fear of retribution. I think.

RIP Eric

Supporting Member Lvl 3

Family of accused drunk driver in fatal crash speaks out

Rest Easy E-man, I am sure that Bubba has special plans for this moron. Interesting that I heard about this all the way here in CA. Sometimes I love the Associated Press.

http://www.wnwo.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=80338

Family of accused drunk driver in fatal crash speaks out

By Rob Packard
    Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2008 at 8:44 p.m.
    (Toledo)--"Justice needs to be served." That's what a relative says after his brother is accused of killing five people in a holiday crash.
    Michael Gagnon is in jail waiting to be charged with killing five family members in a drunk driving collision.
    His brother sam says they were at a Christmas party in Oregon on Sunday, but he claims no one saw him take off to try to drive home.
    Five family members from Maryland were killed when the truck he was driving slammed into a minivan on I-280.
    Gagnon's blood alcohol content was three times the legal limit.
    Gagnon's brother gave a statement that their his prayers are with the victims and their family. He says his brother is a good guy, but justice has to be served.
    His brother did mess up and is going to have to live with the consqeuences that five people died.
    As of Tuesday evening, one of the eight year old victims of the crash, Beu Burkman, had been released from the hospital. Eight year old Sidney Griffin was still in critical condition. The family's father, 36 year old Danny Griffin Junior, is in serious condition. Both are being treated at Saint V's.

Not a LEO

Illiy is offline Corporal
    I just don't have words for this...

When will people realize that drinking and driving don't mix...

Prayers...
    FIGHT ON!

Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    When my kind come to rule this planet your name shall be put on a list, a protected list, and no harm shall come to you.

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    Extremely sad Too bad the peeps at Taco Bell didn't stop him...he was obiviously obliviated. <sp?>
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    This happens all too often. After having a cousin killed by a drunk driver, I vowed to always lock up all drunk drivers when I get hired full time.

To every LEO on LEF, thanks for locking up the drunk drivers you come across. You never know how many lives you've saved every time you take a drunk off the streets.
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Rest easy!

Absolutly terrible.
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

Probation13-901 is offline Master Officer
    This is sad. People need realize that if they drive drunk they can kill someone. None of these people think it will happen to them until it does and they can't give the life back.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Rest in peace.

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    rest in peace, especially the little ones - may God keep a special place for you to play for all of eternity

I hope the asshole Gagnon dies a slow, painful death... and that the court decends a sentence of justice - perhaps a condition that he keeps a picture of the family in his cell... that way he can dwell in the fact that he ruined an entire family by his stupid decision...
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Tall tree...

... short rope.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Thread Information