Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO

Jail Guard Named By Escapees Commits Suicide

Jail Guard Named By Escapees Commits Suicide

POSTED: 11:35 am EST January 2, 2008
    UPDATED: 7:06 pm EST January 2, 2008

NEWARK, N.J. -- A Union County Jail guard who was named in a note left by two escapees has committed suicide, his lawyer said Wednesday.

Guard Takes Own Life

Corrections Officer Rudolph Zurick was found dead at his home in Sayreville, Middlesex County, said the lawyer, Michael J. Mitzner. He said the officer was blameless in the breakout and faced no criminal charges. Zurick, 40, was to be interviewed Wednesday by Union County Police for the first time since the daring Dec. 15 escape, Mitzner said. Zurick had already submitted a report to the police and "had been cooperative throughout" the continuing investigation, Mitzner said. Zurick's death was first reported on the Web site of The Star-Ledger of Newark. Prisoners Otis Blunt and Jose Espinosa have been at large after burrowing through a cinderblock wall, jumping onto a roof and climbing over a 25-foot fence topped with barbed wire. The inmates used photos of bikini-clad women to hide holes they used to escape and left behind a thank-you note for a guard they claimed helped them.

Authorities released the note last month, but obscured the officer's name. The note, signed with a smiley face, read, "Thank You Officer ... for the tools needed. You're a real Pal! Happy Holidays." "Definitely sarcastic. There was no way he gave them any help," Mitzner said. "He was the one who had noticed they were missing." "Everything I understand, he did nothing wrong," said the lawyer, who said he spoke to Zurick on Monday. "It's hard to know what goes through someone's head," Mitzner said.

Zurick left a wife and 4-year-old daughter. Mitzner did not have the cause of death. In a statement, Union County Prosecutor Theodore J. Romankow said the death is being investigated by Middlesex County authorities. "This is not a time for speculation, but a time for mourning," Romankow said. He declined further comment. Officials in Middlesex County did not immediately return messages seeking comment. Union County Police, overseen by the county prosecutor's office, are still investigating how the two men were able to escape from the unit considered most secure at the jail in Elizabeth. It was the first escape since the jail opened in 1986. Authorities, however, already plan to install more surveillance cameras and razor wire, and add patrols.

Blunt, 32, of Toms River, was awaiting trial for robbery and weapons offenses. Espinosa, 20, of Elizabeth, was awaiting sentencing after pleading guilty to manslaughter over a 2005 drive-by shooting in Elizabeth. Espinosa is originally from Mexico and is in the country illegally, the Union County Prosecutor's Office has said. Held in adjoining cells, Espinosa and Blunt used at least two improvised tools -- a thick metal wire like those used to bind chain link fences to poles, and a 10-pound steel water shut-off wheel -- to remove cinderblocks from the wall, Romankow has said. The shut-off wheel was used to crush the cinderblocks so they could be hidden in the cells, Romankow said. The inmates also laid out pillows and sheets to make it look like they were sleeping under blankets, he said.

http://www.wnbc.com/news/14961893/de...=headlineclick
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

Donut Aficionado is offline The Hillbilly Warlord
    Verified LEO
    What a tragic end. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Insert witty comment and disclaimer here.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I hope the prosecution has a good brain and manages to get these guys on murder. Their actions directly contributed to the officer's death.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Maybe it wasnt suicide.
    What if the escapees killed the guard for not helping them?

I guess without knowing, there could be alot of what ifs,

Rest Easy.
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Rest in peace.

OXCOPS is offline Usual Suspect
    Quote Originally Posted by k-9max View Post
    Maybe it wasnt suicide.
    What if the escapees killed the guard for not helping them?

I guess without knowing, there could be alot of what ifs,

Rest Easy.
    This was my first thought too.

Thread Information