Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

NYPD Chief "violates" residency rule.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2008...ncy_probe.html

NYPD chief faces residency probe

BY MIKE JACCARINO and ALISON GENDAR
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS
    Thursday, January 3rd 2008, 4:00 AM

The NYPD chief in charge of counterterrorism sleeps weeknights on a cot in a converted storeroom in Brooklyn - raising questions about whether he is violating residency requirements.

The Internal Affairs Bureau is investigating an anonymous complaint that Chief John Colgan does not rent a Brooklyn apartment as he claims, but instead spends weeknights on the cot to avoid commuting to his upstate home, the Daily News has learned.

To admirers, Colgan's cot represents his tireless work and dedication toward keeping the city safe from terrorists.
    To detractors, his actions show that police brass can flout regulations and state laws meant to be applied across the board.

Deputy Police Commissioner Paul Browne said the city's residency requirement was designed to make sure employees were around when needed.
    "Colgan has a residence in Brooklyn where he stays and, depending how late he is at work, sometimes stays in a cot at an office in Brooklyn," Browne said. "He is one of the hardest-working people in the department."
    Other police sources noted that high-ranking officials - such as Colgan's boss, Deputy Commissioner for Counterterrorism Richard Falkenrath - have either relocated their families to the city or rent a studio apartment to live in during the week to meet residency guidelines.

The NYPD requires all of its cops to live in the city or designated "resident counties" - Westchester, Rockland, Orange, Putnam, Nassau and Suffolk. State law outlines other details of the residency requirement.
    Many cops live in the approved counties because they cannot afford to rent or buy in the city.

Colgan, 50, has nearly 30 years on the NYPD. Assistant chiefs earn roughly $166,100, public records show.
    After he finishes his shift as commanding officer of the city's highly regarded counterterrorism unit, he typically is driven from his office at Police Headquarters in lower Manhattan to the counterterrorism bureau in Brooklyn.
    There, he sleeps in a converted storeroom complete with cot, TV and minirefrigerator, the IAB complaint alleged.
    On the weekends, he drives about 140 miles north to a converted farmhouse upstate and rejoins his wife and son, the anonymous complaint alleged, sources said.

Since learning of the IAB complaint, two News reporters have witnessed Colgan's routine in the past few weeks.
    When a reporter approached him to ask why he had been sleeping in the warehouse, he said: "I have two residences - one in Brooklyn and one [upstate] - and the Police Department is aware of it."
    Colgan's official NYPD home address is a Brooklyn apartment, where he is registered to vote, Board of Elections records show.
    Other public records indicate Colgan's elderly parents live in the apartment, which neighbors confirmed. Colgan has told neighbors he pays the rent.

On five days that Colgan reported to work last month, The News did not observe him leaving the Brooklyn apartment.
    On those days, he slept on the warehouse cot, sources who reviewed the IAB complaint said.
    Colgan's upstate home is a 1900 farmhouse that he and his wife own, real estate records show.
    His personal vehicles are registered to a post office box upstate, state Department of Motor vehicle records show.
    Both vehicles were parked on his upstate property three weekends in a row.
    At least a dozen rank-and-file police officers have been caught violating the residency requirements in the past five years.

The standard punishment is the loss of 30 days' vacation and departmental probation for a year, union leaders said.
    The year's probation is given to allow the officer time to relocate or be fired.
    agendar@nydailynews.com

______________________________ ____

it this:

completely stupid?

splitting hairs, but technically a violation?

legit. he should be held to the same "standards" as everyone else?

my vote goes for completely stupid.
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

HotTamale is offline Officer First Class
    I think that is just stupid, the media is out on a cop hunt (like always). They are saying that this guy doesn't sleep where he says he does.....OMG get over it. He works hard and doesn't want to commute, big deal there are times when I don't want to drive 30mins home after my shift. They need to get over themselves and just let little things like this go.
    OPD Explorer Post #2235

I never thought there was such thing as a stupid question, then I became a security officer.

OXCOPS is offline Usual Suspect
    I am not saying the NYPD is corrupt by any means, but you would think that with THOUSANDS of officers, the rat squad would have some REAL cases to be working on, instead of whether some brass sleeps in his office. Yeah, I know...we get the same thing all the time..."I was just driving while shitfaced. Don't you have some REAL criminals to catch?"

If they don't have anything better to do, then investigate. If they do, prioritize to something a little more critical than where a guy sleeps.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm going to be one of the few with this opinion. BUT

Completely legit.

I see it as what's fair for one is fair for all. Either jam him up on the residency requirement, or eliminate it for everyone. I for one do NOT agree with the residency requirements, but I think that if he is in violation, nail him on it. If the newest of street rooks have to live where the department says they should, then so should the bosses.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pudge113 View Post

Completely legit.

I see it as what's fair for one is fair for all. Either jam him up on the residency requirement, or eliminate it for everyone. I for one do NOT agree with the residency requirements, but I think that if he is in violation, nail him on it. If the newest of street rooks have to live where the department says they should, then so should the bosses.
    I agree with that. I guess I think there really are more important cases they could be working on. Before it got to the press, I wonder just how much manpower was devoted to this one case? How many guys really want to be investigating anyone with the word "CHIEF" in their title?

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OXCOPS View Post
    I agree with that. I guess I think there really are more important cases they could be working on. Before it got to the press, I wonder just how much manpower was devoted to this one case? How many guys really want to be investigating anyone with the word "CHIEF" in their title?
    I agree, but if nothing else it sets presedence (sp?) for the little guys either way you look at it.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

I agree, but if nothing else it sets presedence (sp?) for the little guys either way you look at it.
    I guess I just disagree with a residency requirement for the most part. While I understand the city's reasoning behind it, it is just not feasible, especially in NYC.

With the starting salary well below $30K, there is no way an officer can afford something in the city. I would guess the real estate market gets better the farther you go outside the city, but it's hard to live on their paychecks no matter where in the nation you live.

I guess I have the opinion that if you want me to live in a certain place, then pay me a wage where I can afford to do so. What about that agency that was considering buying housing for it's officers to live in, similar to a group home. I would bet the NYPD could find a way to do the same.

ghost98 is offline BEEN THERE BUT NOT EVERYWHERE
    I had to move from NJ when i joined the NYPD and it was only 17 miles away. I just had a member of my squad get jammed up for for the same thing. He lost 20day vacation and it held up his promotion. I dont agree with the rule and really resented it when i had to move, but it was necessary in order to join. Its their rule so Everyone must comply....

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Completely legit.

perhaps, i can see it both ways. if the newest of street rooks can afford to pay for an apartment that his parents live in (which this guy was probably NOT doing, but claims he was), and claim it as his permanant address...

i read a post on another board that suggests this may be a simple case of cops taking care of 'inside' problems in their own way...which sheds a slightly different light on the story also.

then again, this is the internet, where facts are scarce, especially from the papers
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

Thread Information