Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Cocaine Vaccine

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • The vaccine will work and will be distributed.

0 0%
  • The Vaccine will not work and will not be distributed.

0 0%
  • The Vaccine will work, but will not reach mainstream users.

10 40.00%
  • The Vaccine will not work, but it will be distributed as a "miracle solution".

3 12.00%
  • The whole thing is bs and no one will ever see it here.

12 48.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Cocaine Vaccine

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO

Cocaine Vaccine

A vaccine which can help cocaine addicts break their addiction has been developed by a UK pharmaceutical company. Trials carried out in the US showed almost half of those given the TA-CD vaccine, developed by Xenova, were able to stay off the drug for six months.
    The vaccine does not stop the craving for cocaine, but will stop addicts experiencing a high when they take it.
    The company says this prevents the people becoming re-addicted.
    If their underlying issues aren't addressed, people may move on to another drug

Drugscope spokeswoman

In the study, the TA-CD vaccine was compared with a dummy version.

David Oxlade, chief executive of Xenova, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "This is the third study in the US that we are reporting on today, and it shows that almost half the addicts were able to stay cocaine-free for six months.
    "That is a quite remarkable position."
    Antibodies
    Mr Oxlade added: "The vaccine for cocaine addicts works in very much the same way a regular vaccine works.
    "The reason cocaine addicts can take the drug for years without mounting any sort of immune response is because the drug has very small molecules."
    He explained that the vaccine is created by attaching the cocaine to a large protein molecule which is used to stimulate the body's immune system to produce antibodies that recognise the drug.
    Mr Oxlade added: "It stops the cocaine from being able to get across from the blood into the brain, which is where you get the high and, of course, where you get the addiction.
    "If somebody takes the vaccine as part of a programme in a drug centre and after a month or so is out and takes another dose of cocaine, they won't get the high and they won't get the re-addiction."
    He said it was possible that addicts would simply switch to another drug, but said evidence from three US trials showed that only happened in a small number of cases.
    A spokeswoman for Drugscope told BBC News Online: "This is a really interesting study. It's clear that the vaccine seems to be working well for some cocaine addicts.
    'Ethical issues'
    "But we have to remember that not everyone reacts in the same way to treatments.
    "A lot of cocaine addicts have complex social and psychological issues. Once one drug stops working, if these underlying issues aren't addressed, people may move on to another drug that does."
    Lesley King-Lewis, chief executive of Action on Addiction, said: "The first priority would be to give it to cocaine users who have already given up, because they are in danger of relapse, and then move on to those who are still using."
    "There is no substitute drug available to use in treatment for cocaine addicts, so any extra help is vital in helping them to lead normal lives again."
    But she added: "However, the vaccine must stimulate a very strong immune response so that every single cocaine molecule is mopped up if someone uses again. Otherwise a small number could get through and act like a teaser, causing the person to take even more to satisfy their cravings completely.
    "Other forms of support would also be necessary for cocaine addicts giving up, as it is more than just the physiological addiction that causes people to use again. Craving is a very complex issue that won't necessarily be solved with a pharmacological intervention.
    She added: "There are also ethical issues around when and how this vaccine is used."

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Great idea, but who thinks it will actually hit the street and work?
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Probation13-901 is offline Master Officer
    They need a vaccine for meth that makes em break out sores...... oh yea it already does that.

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Probation13-901 View Post
    They need a vaccine for meth that makes em break out sores...... oh yea it already does that.
    You would think that would be a great for keeping people off of Meth but everyday someone else jumps on the wagon.

I think this could be a great thing but like so many other things people dont want to give up things they like, people like cocaine because of what it does so I dont think people will want to get help

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    The "Underlying Issues" thing is a big part of it. It wont work without a desire to quit using and addressing the issues.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    The "Underlying Issues" thing is a big part of it. It wont work without a desire to quit using and addressing the issues.
    I agree.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Few will use it unless forcably admistered by court order. Then it may work.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Jail, the ultimate detox.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    That is the most poignant statement ever in reference to the War on Drugs...we can make dope harder to get, more expensive to get, harder to make and a jailable offense to have/make/sell it, but if you wanna use bad enough, you're gonna use. A fiend would put his ballsack in a crocodile's mouth if he thought it'd score him a good enough high. Rep Sent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Sounds like Martina Hingis could use this. I really hope this isn't true.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/ten...ory?id=3180666
    LONDON --
    Martina Hingis was banned for two years Friday for testing positive for cocaine at Wimbledon last year.

The International Tennis Federation said an independent anti-doping tribunal found that Hingis, who announced her retirement Nov. 1 on the day she revealed the positive test, had committed an offense.

The 27-year-old Hingis denied using cocaine, but the tribunal rejected suggestions there were any doubts over her sample.

Although the five-time Grand Slam winner is now retired, Hingis' suspension is backdated to Oct. 1. She has three weeks to contest the ruling and punishment.

The ITF disqualified Hingis' results from last year's Wimbledon and any subsequent tournaments she played in. She also forfeits any ranking points gained and $129,481 in prize money.

Hingis provided the sample after losing 6-4, 6-2 to Laura Granville in the third round at Wimbledon.

There was no immediate reaction from Hingis, who dominated women's tennis between 1997-2000 by winning three straight Australian Opens, Wimbledon and the U.S. Open. She was twice a runner-up at the French Open where her loss to Iva Majoli in 1997 stopped her winning all four Grand Slams that year.

Hingis returned to the sport in 2005 after a four-year absence because of injuries.

When announcing her retirement at a news conference in Zurich, Hingis denied ever using cocaine.

"I find this accusation so horrendous, so monstrous that I've decided to confront it head on by talking to the press," she said. "I am frustrated and angry. I believe that I am absolutely 100 percent innocent."

Larry Scott, chief executive of the WTA Tour, said Friday his organization was saddened by the outcome of the case.

"As a signatory to the WADA Code and a founding member of the Tennis Anti-Doping Program, the WTA Tour is committed to ensuring the integrity and competitive fairness of women's professional tennis, and ensuring the heath and well-being of our athletes," Scott said.

"We are saddened by this news as Martina has meant so much to fans the world over and made many positive contributions to the sport."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Thread Information