DUI driver gets 9 years in officer's death
Lars Jacoby
The Arizona Republic
Jan. 4, 2008 01:40 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...hlman0103.html

The man responsible for the 2006 death of Gilbert police Officer Rob Targosz while driving drunk was sentenced to nine years in prison Friday morning.

Tyler Fahlman, 21, was also ordered to pay the town of Gilbert $22,000 in restitution.

Fahlman, of Scottsdale, received the nine years after earlier pleading guilty to manslaughter. He received five years probation for leaving the scene of a fatal-injury accident. Both are felonies.

“Today we feel justice came to fruition, and we just appreciate all the support we’ve received,” said Brigitte Targosz, Rob’s wife, after the sentencing.

In the courtroom Brigitte asked Judge Andrew Klein to impose the maximum sentence allowable on Fahlman – 10 years.

After the sentencing, Targosz said she believes the judge did the right thing.

“We believe the judge took everything into consideration, and he’s a fair judge and we trust in his judgment,” she said.

Targosz, a 12-year veteran and two-time officer of the year, was the first Gilbert officer to die in the line of duty.

In April 2006 Fahlman was driving eastbound on Apache Boulevard in Tempe when he ran a red light at Price Road and collided with Targosz, 37, who was southbound on his police motorcycle on the way to a DUI enforcement detail.

Fahlman fled the scene and was later arrested at his residence. Records show that he had a blood-alcohol content of 0.083 percent after the accident.

During sentencing Klein said he tried to put himself in Rob Targosz's shoes and feels this is the sentence he would of imposed if he was the one in the judge’s seat.

“I can’t read Rob’s mind at the moment, but I think (Klein) was close, Rob was a very compassionate man,” said Gene Targosz, Rob's father.

During the hearing, Fahlman addressed the court and said he takes full responsibility for his actions and will live the rest of his life trying “to find something positive in this.”

“I promise there will be some good to come out of this,” Fahlman said. “That is a lifetime promise from me.”

A charge of endangerment was dropped in return for a guilty plea .

With all the DUI talk lately. I thought this fit.

--