Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor

Less than 20 miles from us

This major crash is less than 20 miles from us, in our county, State Patrol is still cleaning up the mess, probably all throughout the day tomorrow as well

http://www.channel3000.com/news/14989363/detail.html

MADISON, Wis. -- Two people were killed and dozens more were hurt after about 100 vehicles collided into each other on Interstate 90 outside of Madison on Sunday, according to the Wisconsin State Patrol.

Area hospitals reported that about 54 people were taken to Madison area after the massive pileup in the eastbound lane near the Sigglekow Road to the Badger Interchange. Authorities said that the pileup was actually two incidents, concentrated near the 143 and 146 mile markers on I-90, affecting a roughly five-mile span.

Dane County Sheriff's Lt. Dan Bolch said earlier Sunday afternoon that the crash might have involved somewhere between 30 to 50 vehicles. State Patrol officials said on Sunday night the number of cars involved in the pileup included about 100 cars, WISC-TV reported.

Bolch said that the crashes appear to be fog-related. Law enforcement agents and emergency workers are still trying to sort everything out, he said.

Authorities said that the crash apparently began as some drivers began to slow down as fog rolled in. Then, other drivers didn't see traffic slowing and vehicles began to ram into each other in a domino effect, WISC-TV reported.

The Wisconsin State Patrol said that the pileup began at about 2:23 p.m.

Madison Fire Department spokesman Eric Dahl said that crashes continue to happen on the foggy highway even as emergency workers work to clear the road and move the injured to hospitals.

About 10 agencies from around the region responded to the crash with nearly 75 to 100 emergency workers, not including police officers.

Some emergency workers said that the pileup looked like a war zone.

Interstate 90 has been shut down in both directions where the crashes occurred as authorities continue to help the injured, rescue the stranded and clean up.

Madison Metro buses were taking some victims to nearby hotels and Red Cross and the Salvation Army were assisting.

Authorities said that accident reconstruction people are at the scene to piece together how the pileup occurred.

The State Patrol is advising travelers to take alternate routes.

The National Weather Service said that the fog is expected to linger into Monday morning.

Madison Area Hospitals Respond To Pileup

Four Madison area hospitals reported that they received victims of the pileup, including University of Wisconsin Hospital, Meriter Hospital, St. Mary's Hospital and Stoughton Hospital, WISC-TV reported.

UW Hospital officials said that the crash victims in the most critical conditions were taken there. They said that they received eight total victims between 4 p.m. and 4:30 p.m., with one listed in critical condition and seven listed in serious condition as of 6 p.m.

Officials said that the hospital's multi-victim trauma and emergency plans both went into effect, which called for more staff to treat the victims.

"Every hospital, including this one, drills emergency plans," said UW Hospital spokeswoman Lisa Brunette. "We drill our plan at least twice a year so that people know where they're expected to be, how they're expected to behave and what duties and tasks they're expected to perform."

Meriter officials said that they received 11 victims, most with minor injuries. They said that five of the victims walked in. They said that they didn't enact their disaster plan as they had enough staff.

"With the accident happening at 3 p.m., that's a traditional shift change time at hospitals, so we were able to have everybody just hold and have the day staff stay and the p.m.'s were coming in and everybody just held tight," said Meriter Hospital spokeswoman Mae Knowles.

Stoughton Hospital officials said that they received nine victims. They said that seven of them were treated and released while two will be held overnight. The extent of those victims' injuries weren't immediately known.

The hospital did activate its disaster plans, which brought in 40 extra staff members, WISC-TV reported.

St. Mary's Hospital received about 20 victims, officials said. About 10 ambulances -- some carrying multiple victims -- arrived at the hospital. Officials said that half of those who arrived were discharged by early Sunday evening.

"We had about 10 to 12 ambulances come by the hospital between 3 and 6:30 p.m. each carrying about two to four people, so that's a large number for an emergency department to be dealing with," said St. Mary's spokesman Steve VanDinter.

Stay tuned to WISC-TV and Channel 3000 for continuing coverage.

Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Another link, has vidoe and pictures

http://www.nbc15.com/home/headlines/13486922.html

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Wow, Its terrible that 2 lives were lost, but all in all, it could have been alot worse than what it was.
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    That is a sucky stretch of road!

When we drove back to Wisconsin from Cali, there were accidents coming thru and when we went back again!
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

suellen446 is offline Officer First Class
    webb city, missouri - that is in the extreme southwest corner of the state
    i hate driving in fog, i always have visions of just such a thing happening
    dispatcher

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    I can't even imagine how you would write that report.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Only two cars fit on a mv4000 report so you would have many supplement pages

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    wow... that is one impressive wreck... i don't think i'd even know where to start =/
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    WOW!!! We get fog all the time, such as this, here in the San Joaquin Valley in Central CA but I can't imagine fog coupled with snow. We have had our fair share of wrecks such as this, due to the fog and speed of traffic.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Thread Information