Welcome to the APBWeb.
    countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Iranian boats challenge U.S. Navy

Iran plays down Gulf incident with US

By ALI AKBAR DAREINI, Associated Press Writer Mon Jan 7, 12:46 PM ET

TEHRAN, Iran - Iran's Foreign Ministry said Monday that a confrontation between Iranian boats and U.S. Navy ships in the Persian Gulf over the weekend was "something normal" and was resolved. It suggested the Iranian boats had not recognized the U.S. vessels.

The Pentagon said that in the incident early Sunday, five small Iranian boats repeatedly "charged" U.S. warships in the Gulf's Hormuz Strait and dropped boxes in the water. The boats warned the U.S. ships that they would set up "explosions," a U.S. Defense Department official said.

The U.S. craft were on the verge of opening fire when the Iranian boats fled, the official said, calling the incidident "the most serious provocation of its sort" in the Gulf. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak on the record.

But Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Mohammed Ali Hosseini played down the incident, suggesting it was an issue of mistaken identity. He did not comment on the U.S. claims of the Iranian boats' actions.

"That is something normal that takes place every now and then for each party, and it (the problem) is settled after identification of the two parties," he told the state news agency IRNA.
    The incident was "similar to past ones" that were resolved "once the two sides recognized each other."

U.S. Navy and Iranian officials have said in the past that vessels from the two rival nations frequently come into contact in the waters of the narrow, heavily trafficked Gulf. They often communicate by radio to avoid incidents.

But the latest incident was the first time U.S. officials have spoken of such a direct threat from Iranian boats.
    The incident occurred at about 5 a.m. local time Sunday as Navy cruiser USS Port Royal, destroyer USS Hopper and frigate USS Ingraham were on their way into the Persian Gulf and passing through the strait — a major oil shipping route.

Five small boats began charging the U.S. ships, dropping boxes in the water in front of the ships and forcing the U.S. ships to take evasive maneuvers, the Pentagon official said.

There were no injuries but the official said there could have been, because the Iranian boats turned away "literally at the very moment that U.S. forces were preparing to open fire" in self defense.

The official said he didn't have the precise transcript of communications that passed between the two forces, but said the Iranians radioed something like "we're coming at you and you'll explode in a couple minutes."

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    But Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Mohammed Ali Hosseini played down the incident, suggesting it was an issue of mistaken identity.
    i understand that. lots of times, I see a boat and I wonder if it is a water skiing boat, a bass fishing boat, or a GIANT FUCKING NAVAL VESSEL WITH THE MOTHER FUCKING AMERICAN FLAG ON THE SIDE OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    When I read the headline, I was expecting to see Iranian hulls burnt down to the waterline.

What do they got, speedboats?

Then I read the article and realized the shit bags ran just before we were about to arrange it.

As for mistaken identity - what OTHER Navy operates with impunity in the Gulf with vessels the likes of ours? Morons.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The boats started charging them and laying out boxes!?!? After the U.S. Cole incident these boats weren't fired upon? The Captains probably had to get on the horn and beg for permission to engage. This micro management of our military is making them to damn vunable to these hit and run tactics.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    The boats started charging them and laying out boxes!?!? After the U.S. Cole incident these boats weren't fired upon? The Captains probably had to get on the horn and beg for permission to engage. This micro management of our military is making them to damn vunable to these hit and run tactics.
    Yep.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    Make no mistake, we are already in a proxy war with Iran.

But it will go hot in the next two years. And ugly for both sides.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I agree with you Morris, except I don't think it will get ugly unless we get into a ground war.

Their air force would die or go blind in hours, and from there we could contain them a la "no fly zone" for years, if needbe.

Their navy would die in a couple of weeks.

On the ground? We'd be in for a slog, but it could be done - IF we went with Gulf War I troop levels - which we can't do anymore.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    Unfortunately, any direct conflict with Iran will trigger some side complications that will endanger us and allies. Iran is deeply intertwined with Chavez's government and have treaties in place. Russia has serious military and economic ties with Iran. The NK's have technical ties.

We forget that there are elements in North America to harass and create havoc from behind. Then you have Chavez looking for a fight when his people don't.

Indeed, it will get ugly because the DoD and the Western allies still look to an outmoded model of the Warsaw Pact style fight rather than down and dirty, cheap and effective IED shaped charges, terrorism and the like.

And yes, Tel Aviv will suffer greatly in the opening salvos. Terhan will glow later, either by hundreds of cruise missiles or tac nukes.

What does it mean to us as cops? Better start keeping an eye on your public places.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    The US military is a notoriously slow learner. Hesitation to act has cost a lot of American lives before. They need to lean a little closer to Israeli policy on action. Act now, contemplate later.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    On a lighter note...you guys need to read Vince Flynn's book Protect and Defend. Right now it would be considered fiction. It could become non-fiction if things like this keep up.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    On a lighter note...you guys need to read Vince Flynn's book Protect and Defend. Right now it would be considered fiction. It could become non-fiction if things like this keep up.
    Haven't read that, but will definitely pick it up. Clancy's Executive Orders, which deals SPECIFICALLY with the dismantling of the Iraqi government (albeit through the assassination of Saddam Hussen) and hostile actions from Iran, is also an unsettling read in these times.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I got the chance to view the videos of “The Iranian Navy” buzzing about like flies around a few of our warships that were passing through the Strait of Hormuz. I, for one do not put a great deal of faith in the Iranian accounts that these speedboats were performing routine patrol duties in the area, especially since they have about as much right patrolling international waters as I have taking a dump off of an interstate overpass. The Iranian Navy, which looks to me to be a collection of bass boats with potato guns mounted where the rod holders usually go, seemed to be making threats over the radio, telling our folks that they were going to blow them up somehow. Now, I know Iran is supposed to be some kind of nuclear power, but lets get serious here, what kind of flipping moron runs a rowboat around a 4100 ton missile frigate anywhere in the Persian Gulf area without expecting a horizontal 21 gun salute stuck up his ass? What part of our rules of engagement for these U.S. Navy vessels should restrict them from defending themselves and preventing another USS Cole from happening? Yeah, give them a blast of the whistle, then give them a blast of a Phalanx if that doesn’t work, and I mean immediately. These yahoos know what they are doing; they are trying to provoke an international incident by picking a fight. Since we are already in a “proxy” war with Iran within the borders of neighboring Iraq anyway, (as was previously noted), hell, I say give them what they want so that the Bill Dance-hadeen can enjoy their virgins as quickly as possible.

Some of these incidents, one of which included the firing of "warning shots" that we are just now hearing about took place back in December, but I guess our news reporters were so busy covering Britney's meltdowns, her little sisters pants-downs, and Dr. Phil's put-downs too closely to notice it, let alone mention it to us.

Well, that's the way I see it...

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Thread Information