Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

Angry Dallas PD: Bring Me Your Former Dopers, but Those Over 45 Need Not Apply

http://www.nbc5i.com/news/14991493/detail.html

How is excluding all applicants over 45 years old going to help the Dallas cop shortage??? - Who the Hell is running this committee, Bozo the Clown? (see the part I highlighted in red below)

Committee To Review Dallas Police Hiring Standards
    Committee Will Review Proposed Relaxed Hiring Standards

POSTED: 7:02 am CST January 7, 2008
    UPDATED: 9:47 am CST January 7, 2008

DALLAS -- The Public Safety Committee will review the Dallas Police Department’s plan to relax hiring standards Monday.

Video

Dallas police officials said people who made mistakes as kids should be allowed to be productive citizens. The officials said they were missing out on valuable candidates by not allowing people who had used drugs like marijuana or cocaine fewer than five times to apply.

Dallas police currently consider any drug use after the age of 15 to be a disqualifier in the application process. Officials said they want that to change the age to 21.

Police said the new standard would be similar to the FBI’s current standards.

The committee will discuss the proposed changes at Dallas City Hall in the afternoon.

For More Information:

Proposed Disqualifiers

Exerpt of this document:

Proposed Adjustments
    to Sworn Disqualifiers

Dallas Police Department
    January 7, 2008

Proposed Changes
    (Civil Service)

�� Current: Be at least nineteen and one-half years of age at the time of taking the written examination

�� Proposed Change: Be at least nineteen and one-half years of age and not have reached forty-five years of age on the date the Civil Service written examination is given.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    Dallas police currently consider any drug use after the age of 15 to be a disqualifier in the application process.
    that's pretty tough...I know I wouldn't be able to get through that, and I've lived a pretty vanilla life, with the exception of 2 college years when I partied slightly hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

I can understand that... But the age limit is what REALLY gripes me.

Most of the DPD brass is probably over 45, or very near it, so I assume they're gonna quit voluntarily when they reach 45, just to avoid appearing to be hypocritical.

(\__/)

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    Chuck how old are you again
    dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass
    Life is to short not to experience Lazy Fed
    ___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-
    O RLY?? YA RLY NO WAI!!!!

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Fed View Post
    Chuck how old are you again
    53 - I just had a birthday last week

If they pass this stupid rule, maybe I can apply, let them reject me, and sue Dallas in Federal Court for $10 million.

That's age discrimination, and the fact that there are thousands of police over 45 doing a good job proves it - How can they get away with this? They're not the Federal Governmant, which doesn't have to obey its own anti-discrimination laws - Cities have to obey Federal law, don't they?

(\__/)

53 - I just had a birthday last week
    join CBP!!! defend the nations borders!!!

___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

Don't the CBP have an age limit of 39?

(\__/)

Don't the CBP have an age limit of 39?
    chuck chuck chuck do you not pay attention to anything I post on here Border Patrol the guys in green have an age limit of 39 , CBP the guys in blue does not

___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Fed View Post
    chuck chuck chuck do you not pay attention to anything I post on here Border Patrol the guys in green have an age limit of 39 , CBP the guys in blue does not
    Sorry, thanks for straightening that out Lazy Fed - Do I look on the USA Jobs web site for those openings? Don't worry, I'll find it!!! Thanks again.

(\__/)

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Haha, 45 years old wow, the cites around here will not hire after 34 years of age. whats up with dat shit.
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked,” Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Chuck, you can't apply and be over 45. But working there past 45 is fine.

This isn't anything new, and frankly it's a pretty open policy. As K9 Max said, it's usually 34 here
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    There are good reasons for some policies.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    There are good reasons for some policies.
    It's like I said before: ALL employers would prefer not to hire older people, and they have good reasons too (sometimes to get more bang for their training buck, sometimes for perceived safety reasons, sometimes they just want a younger image) - But it's still illegal and morally wrong, Con.

(\__/)

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I see your point Chuck.

As long as someone can pass the written test, physical test, medical physical, psych, and can be a competent officer that I can depend on...I don't mind if they work beside me.

Of course some of that comes with time (knowing I can depend on them).

Basically, if he had the training, Chuck Norris would not be allowed to apply for Dallas PD. WTF?!?!?!?

He's Chuck fucking Norris!!!
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    Our Department hires retired Birmingham Officers (such as yours truly)all the time. We have an excellent reputation in the community. We each have over 20 years of experience to bring to the table and we aren't full of piss and vinegar anymore. Some of our younger officers seem to get into trouble constantly, (wrecking cars, calling in sick alot, complaints, etc.) but none of the retired officers have, yet.

Verified LEO
    It's like I said before: ALL employers would prefer not to hire older people, and they have good reasons too (sometimes to get more bang for their training buck, sometimes for perceived safety reasons, sometimes they just want a younger image) - But it's still illegal and morally wrong, Con.

I suggest checking the law a little closer, I am not sure you have that entirely correct, sir. Morally, I also think that is an opinion. Obviously, from your stance, this is immoral. From mine, I am not so sure. Your health is, at the kindest, questionable. You already have a history of heart problems trying to get into a job that creates heart issues. From an administrators standpoint, past 45 y/o, you would have to go beyond mandatory retirement in order to be able to receive full benefits, if a 20 years and out. You can get all upset and riled up, but the practice of setting an age standard for government jobs has been upheld by the courts.

Well, like I said - the age standards would at least be FAIR if they fired all cops who reached 45 years old - And the standards would also be fair if they fired cops who are even more out of shape than I am... But I don't see that happening.

I'm sure your opinion would change dramatically if it affected you, which it may someday.

I'm saying that it would be illegal if a private company tried to pull the same crap, for the same reasons: Because older employers cause higher insurance costs, stay less time after they're trained, may have a worse safety record (which is HIGHLY debatable), etc etc etc. Somehow GOVERNMENT gets away with that crap.

(\__/)

Verified LEO
    Well, like I said - the age standards would at least be FAIR if they fired all cops who reached 45 years old - And the standards would also be fair if they fired cops who are even more out of shape than I am... But I don't see that happening.

I'm sure your opinion would change dramatically if it affected you, which it may someday.

I'm saying that it would be illegal if a private company tried to pull the same crap, for the same reasons: Because older employers cause higher insurance costs, stay less time after they're trained, may have a worse safety record (which is HIGHLY debatable), etc etc etc. Somehow GOVERNMENT gets away with that crap.

The difference is simple, Chuck. When I get to that age, I will have been in LE for a long time. And will have all that experience to back up why I need to be there still. What do you have to offer at your age?

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    The difference is simple, Chuck. When I get to that age, I will have been in LE for a long time. And will have all that experience to back up why I need to be there still. What do you have to offer at your age?
    Amen. Those guys have put in their time and sweated and bled in their years on that job. And yes, i know that "they" could ostensibly also refer to people who got hired at 43 or 44...whatever. All I'm saying is there HAS to be a cutoff for hiring in this job. It's not for everyone, and you can't fault a department for hiring someone who is getting up there in years. Training cops is expensive, and the risks of the job present a degree of liability not found in most civilian sector work. That's not age-discrimination. Age discrimination is not hiring a 45 year old dude for a sales position at Abercrombie and Fitch because he's...old. This isn't the same thing...this all comes down to protecting your assets from liability, and that includes coworkers who put their lives in eachothers hands!

Sorry, you're going to find that most of us aren't going to budge on this. As far as hiring goes, 45 is pretty lenient.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

About as much as some little skinny-assed recruit who I could overpower in a heartbeat, and probably outthink under preassure as well - or nothing. take your pick.

(\__/)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information