Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    gwebb1981 is offline Officer First Class

Taser debuts MP3 holster

Shock rock? Taser debuts MP3 holster
    Andrew Johnson
    The Arizona Republic
    Jan. 7, 2008 05:36 PM
    http://www.azcentral.com/business/ar...er0108-ON.html

Taser International Inc. wants customers to rock out to their favorite music while toting around the company's personal stun gun.

At the International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas on Monday, the Scottsdale company unveiled a stun-gun holster that contains a digital music player.

The Taser MPH (Music Player Holster) contains a 1-gigabyte MP3 player that holds about 500 songs.

The MPH will cost about $80 and begins shipping in March. It is designed to hold the Taser C2, an updated version of its consumer model the company debuted at the tradeshow last year.

Taser hopes the new product appeals to a wider customer base.

"It's one more reason why you might be carrying the Taser C2 when you're out and about," said spokesman Steve Tuttle said. "It's not so much of a gimmick as it is a reason for people to continue to carry" a Taser.

Combining a music player with the holster makes it easier for customers who don't want to carry a separate device to store their music, he said.

Matthew McKay, an analyst who follows Taser for Jefferies & Co. Inc. in San Francisco, had doubts about the holster-music player combo.

"I think they have to kind of prove first of all that someone's going to want to carry a Taser on their belt," he said.

Taser's stun guns have remained controversial.

Groups like Amnesty International maintain that more testing of the device must be conducted before it can be used safely.

Other experts maintain that police officials, for example, must be better trained on how to use the stun gun.

Taser created a stir at the electronics show last year when it introduced the metallic-colored C2 model, an updated version of a stun gun it marketed to consumers years before.

Taser began shipping the C2 device, initially sold in black, silver, blue and pink, to retailers and consumers last July.

The company shipped about 7,000 of the units during the third quarter of 2007, the most recent figures available.

On Monday, Taser unveiled three new colors: Leopard Skin, Red Hot Red and Fashion Pink.

To drum up sales for the C2 device, which sells for between $300 and $380 depending on color, Taser will also begin marketing a 27-minute infomercial about the device on various TV networks this spring.

John Bunnell, who hosts the TV show World's Wildest Police Videos, hosts the infomercial, which was filmed at Taser's headquarters in the Scottsdale Airpark.

The program also features Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio and Ultimate Fighting Championship star Eric Swiger.

Taser's shares closed down 0.9 percent Monday at $13.11 but rose slightly in after-hours trading.

How about getting these into the department?

--
    Good things come to those who wait SEIZE THE DAY!!

Probation13-901 is offline Master Officer

Thumbs up

Cool tase the hell of of some one and listen to your fav band.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    ????
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    I have my own opinions about the Public carrying a taser,
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

Ducky is online now Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Wait, a Taser in 'Fashion Pink'? WTH??
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    this is the stupidest shit i've ever heard of in my life
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Public can not have any form of a taser in WI, we dont have to worry about people carrying except for those who have it illegally anyways

Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by k-9max View Post
    What about firearms?
    dlefdal said:
    Ummmm, what if I don't like thumbs in my butt?

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm357 View Post
    What about firearms?
    What about it?
    yeah i dont like that either,but they are there, and we deal with that daily.The taser is a device designed for law enforcement use, now the company knows they are making big bucks, and want to expand it into the general poplulation for consumer use as well. I dont like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMHO it's not a good idea, you can go on and on, yeah i know there are Stun guns out there, and have been for a long time ect....

I do see that some states will not honor the taser for consumers, i hope all states join the wagon.
    AGAIN THIS IS MHO.

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    What about it?
    yeah i dont like that either,but they are there, and we deal with that daily.The taser is a device designed for law enforcement use, now the company knows they are making big bucks, and want to expand it into the general poplulation for consumer use as well. I dont like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMHO it's not a good idea, you can go on and on, yeah i know there are Stun guns out there, and have been for a long time ect....

I do see that some states will not honor the taser for consumers, i hope all states join the wagon.
    AGAIN THIS IS MHO.

So you feel that only Police Officers should be able to defend themselves and their families?
    dlefdal said:

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    So you feel that only Police Officers should be able to defend themselves and their families?

That is some of the dumbest stuff you have ever posted. This has nothing to do with a citizen defending themselves or their family. This has a whole bunch to do with more tools being provided to the general public which have a bad tendency to then be provided to the criminal element. Personally, I have no problem with John Q. Citizen having a pistol. The only thing I ask is that I know that John Q. Citizen has that gun when I have to deal with him. You can get all upset abput how that is an infringment of your rights, but the reality of it is, there are a lot of guns out there, and a lot of stupid people. I dislike anything that shifts the odds, no matter how slight, away from my advantage. The civilian version of the Taser has the ability to activate for 20 seconds at a time. To me, I have better chances with a gun shot. At least I have a vest for that. And, in some cases/in some states, I will at least be informed by dispatch that the person I am dealing with has a pistol permit or a concealed carry permit. There are no, and will probably never be, any regulations or licensing for a taser.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    That is some of the dumbest stuff you have ever posted. This has nothing to do with a citizen defending themselves or their family. This has a whole bunch to do with more tools being provided to the general public which have a bad tendency to then be provided to the criminal element. Personally, I have no problem with John Q. Citizen having a pistol. The only thing I ask is that I know that John Q. Citizen has that gun when I have to deal with him. You can get all upset abput how that is an infringment of your rights, but the reality of it is, there are a lot of guns out there, and a lot of stupid people. I dislike anything that shifts the odds, no matter how slight, away from my advantage. The civilian version of the Taser has the ability to activate for 20 seconds at a time. To me, I have better chances with a gun shot. At least I have a vest for that. And, in some cases/in some states, I will at least be informed by dispatch that the person I am dealing with has a pistol permit or a concealed carry permit. There are no, and will probably never be, any regulations or licensing for a taser.
    +1, nicely put

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I know you didn't quote the second amendment, so don't call me on that. But I would just like to point out that no where in the HISTORY of the United States is it said that citizens have a right to have Tasers.

Norm do you realize that there are bad people in this world who have dedicated their entire lives to killing and hurting police officers?

How many times in Joe Citizen's life is he going to come in contact with a person who is hell bent on hurting him. Once? Twice maybe? And even then he may not be justified in using deadly force against that person. And I'm talking about the REAL Joe Citizen. The everyday American with a 9 to 5er. Not some dirt ball that goes bar hopping 6 out of 7 nights a week, or some guy who has a concealed carry permit, and looks for any and every opportunity to use it.

The Police deal with people who want to, and do hurt and kill them daily. I'm all for law abiding citizens who meet strict standards to possess and carry concealed firearms. But we don't need to provide the public with Tasers on top of that. That's one more weapon that can be used against the Police.

Why provide it to anyone BUT the police?

To purchase a Taser C2, which is their most recent Taser available to the public you need money, and you need to call a toll free number and provide information for a "background check".

To purchase the Taser X26C, which is modeled after the law enforcement Taser X26, you need, again...money. In addition to that you need to pass a background check that checks felony convictions, terrorist watch groups, and proof of age. Ooh...sounds stringent.

Never mind the fact that in Minnesota certain assaults on a police officer are gross misdemeanors (not felonys) in addition to 5 degree assault (causing bodily harm), domestic assault (depending on the injury inflicted), certain types of 4th degree assault (assaulting hospital staff, police officers, firefighters, DNR, etc). Depending on the injury inflicted, if you assault a police officer...you may still be eligible to recieve a Taser X26C in MN.

Let's not forget Violating a Harassment Restraining Order, or an Order for Protection. Misdemeanors in MN, depending on prior convictions for the same offense. Joe Blow who beats up his wife, and then violates the order protecting her from him....hey...give him a Taser. He passes the background check.

At least with guns people have THOROUGH background checks done, go through training, and learn state laws.

Ridiculous.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Verified LEO

No, thats not what i said did i?

i am referring to my safety!
    We worry about guns everyday while protecting YOUR family, and your familys family. We do not need another weapon out there that the public needs access to.

Like jmur has already stated, there are guns out there, and there are classes to carry concealed ect..
    We worry about the thugs that carry the weapons that are not registered, and so on.

If you my friend were in my shoes, im sure you would feel the same way.
    Before you start bashing a LEO, maybe you ought to sit back and think about what you are going to write before you do it, better yet, maybe you should talk to your local Police, Sheriff, State Troopers and see what they have to say about it. Im sure the feelings will be the same.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Before you start bashing a LEO, maybe you ought to sit back and think about what you are going to write before you do it, better yet, maybe you should talk to your local Police, Sheriff, State Troopers and see what they have to say about it. Im sure the feelings will be the same.
    His wife is an LEO. Sorry, carry on.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    His wife is an LEO. Sorry, carry on.
    Ok, then he can ask his wife!

Hawk1 is offline Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    Check out the Taser web site, they are even making them in leopard print Me thinks thev'e gone a bit too far. www.taser.com

Still, I'd like to get my hands on those Taser rounds for the 12 ga shotty. I'm compiling a submission paper to my unit to try and purchase some. Does anyone have any intel on these?
    "Contrary to popular belief, you will not rise to the occasion, but will fall to the level of your training"

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    Not to go against the grain here, but I could really care less if citizens can carry Tasers.

I am a pro-gun cop, and I consider a Taser to be a far less effective defensive tool. Personally, I think it is a waste of money for a citizen. But, I don't see it causing much harm to us as LEO's. Sure, we wear vests for bullets... but I'd nearly bet a paycheck that my vest will also stop a Taser dart... and the effective range of a taser is a whole lot less than that of a handgun!

I remember seeing the civilian version of the M-26 Tasers in stores many years ago before I was a cop. I always laughed at the idea, thinking "who would buy this junk instead of a gun?"

Given the number of problems I've seen with some of our Tasers at my department (ex: I had one that didn't work when I tried to Taser a guy in a fight a couple of months back), and given that it is basically a one-shot deal (short of a drive stun), I'd much rather give a gang-banger a Taser than a gun. Makes winning the fight that much easier for me!

Granted, I obviously don't want to see a 'banger armed with anything, but I don't see the Taser thing as a huge threat to my security on the street. Still, I realize that Tasers don't have quite the same background checks that guns do. But, neither does pepper spray, batons, etc.

I should also mention that anyone who pulls a Taser on me is being treated as a deadly-force encounter... With a Taser they can potentially disable and disarm me. Therein lies the threat of a Taser. Still, I really think that threat is minor in comparison to the same criminal being able to fire a real gun at me from the outset of the conflict!

Anyway, it is late and I am tired... So enough of my rambling non-sensical bullshit already! I guess that I just don't entirely disagree with Norm on this one, even if he did word it in a somewhat abrassive manner .

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I will kiss your ass on the steps of City Hall, after giving you an hour to draw a crowd, if you can find one post where I bashed a Cop.

I understand and respect officer safety and wanting to go home at the end of your tour.

I simply took umbrage with something you said. Nothing personal.
    dlefdal said:

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    The 2nd amendment isnt limited to guns.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information