Welcome to the APBWeb.
    CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Sale of majority ownership of booming 5.11 uniform company, buys back 20%

http://www.modbee.com/local/story/150830.html

A tactical decision by Costa leads to sale of company

Raquel Pagan, packer, and Angel Valencia, carton inductor, prepare an order for shipment in the warehouse at 5.11 Tactical Series on Spyres Way in north Modesto on Wednesday, December 12, 2007. The 5-year-old law enforcement clothing supplier was sold to an Eastern investment group for $300 million earlier this week. 5.11's local management team will continue to operate the company and retain a 20% interest in the business, which has enjoyed meteoric growth since opening in 2003.
    Modesto Bee - Ted Benson

He sells majority ownership of booming 5.11 uniform company, buys back 20%
    By BEN van der MEER
    bvandermeer@modbee.com
    last updated: December 13, 2007 10:00:31 AM
    AT A GLANCE

COMPANY: 5.11 Tactical
    HEADQUARTERS: Modesto
    EMPLOYEES: Approximately 170
    ESTIMATED ANNUAL SALES: $95 million
    HISTORY: Modesto businessman Dan Costa founded the company in 2003, a spinoff from Royal Robbins Inc. 5.11 Tactical creates products that enhance the safety, accuracy, speed and performance of law enforcement, military and firefighting professionals. In August, Inc. magazine ranked it at No. 211 on it's list of 500 fastest-growing private companies in the United States.
    WEB SITE: www.511tactical.com
    TA ASSOCIATES INC.

HEADQUARTERS: Boston EMPLOYEES: 3,915 ESTIMATED ANNUAL SALES: $278.6 million HISTORY: It is one of the largest and most experienced private equity firms in the United States, managing more than $10 billion in capital. It has invested $50 million to $600 million in about 380 companies since its founding in 1968. It has investments in business, financial and health care services; consumer products and services; and technology companies. WEB SITE: www.ta.com Source: Hoover's, company Web site

ABOUT THE NAME

The company name is a reference to rock-climbing legend Royal Robbins, who with his wife, Liz, designed the original 5.11 pants in 1968. The number 5.11 signifies the most difficult level of rock climbing in the Yosemite Decimal System of rating climbs.
    A pair of pants given to a trainee at FBI headquarters eight years ago is now worth $305 million.

More accurately, that was the sales price this week for the name on those pants: 5.11 Tactical, the Modesto uniform and apparel company that sold a majority stake to TA Associates, a Boston private equity firm.

Dan Costa, 5.11's founder, said the sale was the culmination of much hard work, and perhaps equal amounts of happenstance.

As in outdoor clothing company Royal Robbins Inc. owning the 5.11 brand for years, but being unwilling to market it or increase its sales, according to Costa.

As in an FBI agent who was married to a Royal Robbins sales representative, who kept the pants as part of the standard issue to law enforcement officers worldwide who came to train at the FBI's facility in Quantico, Va.

As in positive word of mouth for 5.11 products being so strong among those officers that they contacted 5.11 Tactical directly for pants, jackets, shirts and other products, rather than going through a dealer.

"When I had my first order with a dealer, I gave it to them for free because they didn't believe in the brand," said Costa, 53, who split 5.11 Tactical from Royal Robbins as its own com-pany in 2003. "They called me a few weeks later and asked if I'd had someone come in and buy everything they had."

Costa said the strong 5.11 brand affiliation won't change with the deal, in which senior management will stay on board, the base of operations will remain in Modesto and several top managers at 5.11 became millionaires overnight, thanks to stock options Costa gave them when he hired them.

One of those employees, controller Lauri Cerny, said the windfall she's received is still a bit much to think about.
    "It's life changing, in terms of thinking about early retirement," said Cerny, who lives in Modesto. "It was very generous. Dan knows that he's working you to death, so you need that incentive there."

'Stockholders' did very well

About $240 million of the sales price was distributed among 5.11's "stockholders," Costa said. While not all of them became millionaires, some got a check this week for three times their an-nual salary, he said.

As part of the deal, Costa bought back a 20 percent share in the company for about $60 million, which he said will ensure that he has an interest in the company's growth.

That's a change of habit for Costa, an entrepreneur with an established pattern of buying or founding businesses, making them into highly successful entities, then selling them.

Costa has owned and sold the Velvet Creamery restaurant chain, Velvet Foods, Mallard's Restaurant in Modesto and Stockton, Mallard's Foods pasta plant, Davis Lay Food Service Inc. and Royal Robbins outdoor clothing.

He continues to own and develop NorthPointe Shopping Center in north Modesto, which is anchored by Costco and Lowe's.

Costa said 5.11 may be the most unlikely success he's had. When he bought Royal Robbins in 1999, vendors told him the company gave them constant headaches. He discovered that one pair of 5.11 Tactical cargo pants cost nearly twice as much as cargo pants from competitors.

But law enforcement officers loved them. Originally designed as ultra-sturdy pants for mountain climbing, some Colorado-based FBI agents who were also climbers discovered 5.11 trousers were good for work and play.

Eventually, the pants ended up at the FBI training center in Virginia. When top officers from around the world began wearing 5.11 products they got from the FBI, other officers wanted their own, Costa said.

Loren White, director of operations for Royal Robbins, said he couldn't comment on the sale because he was unfamiliar with the details.

"It really built a cultlike following," White said of 5.11's pants. "There became a demand from all these agencies in the U.S. and South America and Europe."

"The pants just fired it up," Costa said.

The company added a vest and a shirt, then other products, including underwear, watches and jackets.

No need for marketing

Orders came in before 5.11 began marketing them, Costa said. "Like throwing feathers in a vacuum. They just suck it all up," he said.

Sales went from $5.7 million in 2003 to $57.3 million last year. Projected sales for 2007 are $95 million, and Costa said he's just starting to explore new markets with firefighters.

Erica Reynoso, 26, joined 5.11 Tactical's marketing team about a month after it split from Royal Robbins. The whirlwind hasn't stopped since, she said, and she hasn't had time to notice.

"It's kind of surreal still," she said of the sale announcement. "But it's nice because these are financial partners who will let us do what we need to do. They won't come in here and shake fingers at us."

Earlier this year, 5.11 Tactical was ranked No. 211 on Inc. magazine's list of the 500 fastest- growing companies in the nation.

That's one sign of the company's arrival. But there are others.

Costa said someone sent him a photo not long ago of Prince Harry -- possible heir to the British throne -- hopping off a military helicopter. On his head is a 5.11 Tactical baseball cap.

Then there's the handwritten note from actress Jennifer Garner. She and her co-stars wore 5.11 watches for "The Kingdom," an action movie set in the Middle East. Why were they wearing 5.11 watches?

"Because they were portraying official military people," Costa said with a smile. "They had to look the part."

In a news release, Jeffrey T. Chambers, a managing director at TA Associates, said that based on 5.11 Tactical's management team and track record, the Modesto company is projected to keep growing.

Costa said after building 5.11, he realized it would be better served if someone else had a majority stake.

With TA's plans to take 5.11 public, he said, he'd prefer to concentrate on increasing sales rather than dealing with a stockholders' board. That led to the deal with TA Associates, which was among 14 interested buyers, Costa said.

When the sale was announced Monday, Costa said, there was cheering at the north Modesto headquarters. Some of the 100 or so employees based there cried.

Then, back to work.

As Reynoso put it, the past few months have been taken up with the sale. Planning for next year is behind.

"Maybe in a month or two, I'll get to enjoy it," said Reynoso, now 5.11's vice president of marketing. "Right now, I'm excited for a new challenge."

Bee staff writer Ben van der Meer can be reached at bvandermeer@modbee.com or 578-2331.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    And just so you know, I am NOT a sales rep.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Would have been nice to be in on that stock. I could use an extra HUGE check.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Would have been nice to be in on that stock. I could use an extra HUGE check.
    I was thinking that myself!

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Damn, if only I would have sold my taser stock and bought into that!
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge113 View Post
    Damn, if only I would have sold my taser stock and bought into that!
    justin,

speakin of 5.11, i will be making a trip out to your neck of he woods here pretty soon.
    theres a 5.11 dealer right there north of holmesville. I guess he has some bad-ass 5.11 tactical vests that the sheriff is going to get for the k9 units here.
    Hook a brutha up , playa, lol, do you have any ins there by any chance??
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by k-9max View Post
    justin,

speakin of 5.11, i will be making a trip out to your neck of he woods here pretty soon.
    theres a 5.11 dealer right there north of holmesville. I guess he has some bad-ass 5.11 tactical vests that the sheriff is going to get for the k9 units here.
    Hook a brutha up , playa, lol, do you have any ins there by any chance??
    I do actually. I'll pm
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge113 View Post
    I do actually. I'll pm
    Thank you sir,
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

LinkBacks (?)

1. 06-16-11, 10:23 PM
  2. 06-16-11, 03:29 PM

Thread Information