Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Big Sexy is offline Not your mothers BIG SEXY
    Verified LEO

Exclamation Katrina's Victims Demand Huge Checks

Katrina's Victims Demand Huge Checks

NEW ORLEANS (Jan. 9) -- Hurricane Katrina's victims have put a price tag on their suffering and it is staggering including one plaintiff seeking the unlikely sum of $3 quadrillion.

A whopping $3,014,170,389,176,410 is the dollar figure so far sought from some of the largest claims filed against the federal government over damage from the failure of levees and flood walls following the Aug. 29, 2005, hurricane.

Floodwaters from Hurricane Katrina flow through a broken levee Aug. 30, 2005, in New Orleans. Storm victims have filed nearly 500,000 claims against the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers over levee failures during Katrina. One claim seeks $3 quadrillion in damages.

Of roughly 489,000 total claims, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers said it has received 247 for at least $1 billion apiece, including the one for $3 quadrillion.

"That's the mother of all high numbers," said Loren Scott, a Baton Rouge-based economist.

For the sake of perspective: A mere $1 quadrillion would dwarf the U.S. gross domestic product, which Scott said was $13.2 trillion in 2007. A stack of one quadrillion pennies would reach Saturn.

Some residents may have grossly exaggerated their claims to send a message to the corps, which has accepted blame for poorly designing the failed levees.

"I understand the anger," Scott said. "I also understand it's a negotiating tactic: Aim high and negotiate down."

Daniel Becnel, Jr., a lawyer who said his clients have filed more than 60,000 claims, said measuring Katrina's devastation in dollars and cents is a nearly impossible task.

"There's no way on earth you can figure it out," he said. "The trauma these people have undergone is unlike anything that has occurred in the history of our country."

The corps released zip codes, but no names, for the 247 claims of at least $1 billion. The list includes a $77 billion claim by the city of New Orleans. Fourteen involve a wrongful death claim. Fifteen were filed by businesses, including several insurance companies.

Little is known about the person who claimed $3 quadrillion. It was filed in Baker, 93 miles northwest of New Orleans. Baker is far from the epicenter of Katrina's destruction, but the city has a trailer park where hundreds of evacuees have lived since the storm.

Katrina, which is blamed for more than 1,600 deaths in Louisiana and Mississippi, is considered the most destructive storm to ever hit the U.S. It caused at least $60 billion in insured losses and could cost Gulf Coast states up to $125 billion, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Most of the claims were filed before a deadline that coincided with Katrina's second anniversary, but the Corps is still receiving them about 100 claims have arrived over the past three weeks and is feeding them into a computer database.

The Corps said it isn't passing judgment on the merits of each claim. Federal courts are in charge of deciding if a claim is valid and how much compensation is warranted.

"It's important to the person who filed it, so we're taking every single claim seriously," Corps spokeswoman Amanda Jones said.
    Don't Be Afraid To Fail.

No Tengas Miedo Al Fracaso.

NCC1701 is offline Meat Popsicle
    I agree, they should sue Hurricane Katrina.

Take that baby all the way to the supreme court...oh wait, it was an act of nature?

Freakin oxygen thieves.
    I don't like repeat offenders I like DEAD offenders-
    Ted Nugent

Make the world a better place....punch a hippie in the face!

Former member of Cortinian Liberation Front and the JSA MACHATOC.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    If they go to court, and lose (likely) they should have to pay back all those gubmint checks they've gotten over the years. Immediately.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Yeah, well I demand that the scum sucking, self centered cry babies get off their ass, get jobs, and get over it.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    Pathetic how some people want to get rich over a disaster like that.

"Stupid should hurt."

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The United States government is responsible!!!

111!!!!!!11111

Bushhitler!111!!!1!1!

Cheney did it!!!111!!

Pardon my French, but those losers need to f*** off.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Are you serious, WTF, people tried to make levees and other things to try and protect them, so it did not work for one of the all time worst storms to hit land, how the hell is that someones fault.

Shit, if someone shoots at us do we get to sue them for mental anguis? Damn, people have more than enough time to think up some of the stupidist shit

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Unreal!
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

Code6 is offline Beep,Beep!!!
    Verified LEO
    Don't even get me started.
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what it really is all about?

Police others as you would have them Police you.

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    "Daniel Becnel, Jr., a lawyer who said his clients have filed more than 60,000 claims, said measuring Katrina's devastation in dollars and cents is a nearly impossible task."

Well, I don't know..it seems they did come up with an amount.

I don't know..I understand the frustration...in 2003 we had a category 4 hurricane hit us dead on. Not fun. Things sucked. People died. Seriously...I have stories galore but it is not something I want to go through again. I do know that I saw people milk the system...people who really didn't need it. And there were people that did need it and had to fight like hell to get help. Help I can understand...but to sue because of a act of nature? Doesn't make much sense.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    honestly, I think that there are a few who's insurance companies said "sorry, we don't cover an act of God" or "you had ___________ insurance, the damage was caused by levees breaking, we don't cover that"... those are the ones who should get some kind of monetary value from the government - those who in Lakeview (example) lost their $300,000 and $400,000 homes... those who lost everything and insurance wouldn't pay...

but if they were already getting a hand out from the government... or weren't smart enough to carry homeowners insurance... or whatever other reason...

sorry, deal with it
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    You would have to have first hand knowledge of the folks from New Orleans. Although I'm sure some of the claims have some form of basis in reality, there are a lot of people who just want money and do nothing for it. I didn't have to be a hurricane. It could have been anything.
    I have no desire to ever go back to N.O.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

OXCOPS is offline Usual Suspect
    Their suit for mental anguish is causing me mental anguish.

I WANT MY CHECK, BITCHES!

Doc_Holliday is offline California Dreaming...
    Quote Originally Posted by Twan007 View Post
    honestly, I think that there are a few who's insurance companies said "sorry, we don't cover an act of God" or "you had ___________ insurance, the damage was caused by levees breaking, we don't cover that"... those are the ones who should get some kind of monetary value from the government - those who in Lakeview (example) lost their $300,000 and $400,000 homes... those who lost everything and insurance wouldn't pay...

but if they were already getting a hand out from the government... or weren't smart enough to carry homeowners insurance... or whatever other reason...

sorry, deal with it
    If someone lost their home because of Katrina, and their insurance company is jerking them around, then sue the insurance company, not uncle sam. Sue school bus Nagan and Blanco for not being prepared and utilizing proper procedures AND heading the advice of the feds. Heck, sue the contractors and politicians who were involved in building sub-standard levies, and sue the local government officials who turned a blind eye to the Army Corps of Engineers report that said the levies would fail in a cat5 'cain...or better yet sue the brain trust that built a city several feel BELOW sea level, but I for one am about sick and tired of hearing how the government is responsible and MY taxes need to go up to pay for it.
    500 fights, that's the number I figured when I was a kid. 500 street fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate tough guy. You need them for experience. To develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then, after, you realize that's what you are.

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Suck it up, and next time buy flood insurance.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO
    at least the person suing for $3 quadrillion has a shot

WTF!!!!!!!!!
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

dapples is offline Swamp Kitty
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by vengeance05 View Post
    Suck it up, and next time buy flood insurance.

Not all Katrina survivors want something for nothing
    There are some tragedies and injustices that unless you are local, you will never hear or understand.

Example: My friend's Dad, 70+ years old now, retired after working some 55+ years, raising his family after the lost of his wife (when his youngest
    of 5 children was only 4)
    He lives on a modest income in Kenner, LA ( basically a suburb of N.O.), is covered by homeowners insurance, resides in a NO FLOOD ZONE, so didn't have and wasn't required to have the extra flood coverage. He lost everything.
    He lost things and memories that can never be replaced. He lost his home
    and had to start over with help from his kids. Homeowners Ins refused to cover anything but $3,600.00 for a damaged roof due to the wind and rain.

I do not agree with attempting to get something for nothing.

However I try to make sure that people not here, know more than what is sensationalized in the press.

There are 1,000's more stories like my friend's.

Mav and I were hit hard by Katrina. We took it, didn't ask for anything and rebuilt.
    My homeowner's insurance fought me all the way. Repairs and materials were estimated at
    PRE katrina prices. I wont go into the struggle to find contractors/etc.
    But homeowner's insurance rates more than doubled with a new "rider" now for
    wind damage. ( we had NO flooding and all our damage
    was due to Cat 5 (yes clocked here at 167+ miles per hour) wind produced
    tornadoes.

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    Just when you thought the "chocolate city" was done sponging off of the Government!
    This message was brought to you by Tampons. We
    aren't the best thing in the world but we are right up
    there next to it.

To them its always 'scary and aggressive' driving. To us its at times a matter of life and death." -LawnMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmYie3bB3OU

Thread Information