Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Judge resigns after hosting a party at which she claims to be having an affair with a public defender

FEDERAL WAY -- A Federal Way Municipal Court judge has resigned after hosting a holiday party at which she claimed to be having an affair with a public defender who routinely appeared in her court.
    Judge Colleen Hartl quit Dec. 19, less than a week after telling her guests -- including five court employees -- that she had sex with public defender Sean Cecil and displaying a text message in which he complimented how she looked in "tight jeans," Michael Morgan, the court's presiding judge, said Wednesday.
    A statement from the city cited "personal and health" reasons for the resignation.
    Cecil, who was admitted to practice law in 2006, was one of three public defenders who regularly handled misdemeanor and gross misdemeanor cases in Federal Way.
    On Wednesday, Morgan issued an order barring him from representing poor defendants in the court.
    Morgan also has filed a complaint against Cecil with the state bar association.
    Even after admitting the affair at the Friday night party, Hartl showed up for work the next Monday morning and presided over several cases handled by Cecil, Morgan said.
    At lunchtime that day, Morgan -- who attended the party but left before Hartl's admission -- was advised of the relationship by a court staff member who witnessed the statement.
    Morgan suggested that Hartl not sit on any cases that afternoon, and she resigned two days later.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Color me suprised.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Thread Information