Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Outrageous!

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Outrageous!

By Associated Press | December 28, 2006
    NEWBURYPORT -- The prison sentence of a man convicted of taking a family hostage in their home following a bank robbery and high-speed chase in 1998 was reduced yesterday after a judge ruled that the defendant had been sentenced under an outdated law
    Judge Nancy Staffier-Holtz reduced Chad Austin's sentence for armed home invasion, kidnapping, and other charges, from 30-40 years to 19-20 years in state prison, First Assistant District Attorney Jack Dawley said.
    Austin was arrested in February 1998 after robbing a bank in Portsmouth, N.H., exchanging gunfire with police during a high-speed chase into Massachusetts, and then taking Paul Hardy and Hardy's twin 4-year-old sons hostage at gunpoint in Salem. The four-hour standoff was televised nationally.
    Hardy persuaded Austin to release the boys, Kevin and Kyle. Kevin ran to police, but Kyle refused to leave his father. Hardy pushed the boy out of the garage and shut the door, but Kyle tried to pull the door open and then pounded on it before police rushed in to pull him to safety.
    Later, Hardy, angered because Austin was sitting in his favorite chair and watching television, lunged at the intruder, and the two wrestled over the gun, which discharged twice. (I wonder if this idiot reporter actually believes this is the reason Hardy attacked the suspect) Hardy escaped through a window just before police tossed a concussion grenade into the living room and stormed the house, shooting Austin in the leg. Hardy was unhurt.
    Austin, now 33, also was convicted in 1999 of federal bank robbery charges and sentenced to 10 years to be served at the conclusion of his state sentence.
    Austin asked a judge in October to be resentenced, arguing that the original sentence was illegal because on the day he was convicted, state law changed, capping the penalty for home invasion at 20 years.
    Staffier-Holtz then ruled that Austin would be resentenced on all the state charges. Austin has already served more than eight years in prison.
    A message left for his lawyer was not returned.

My wife and I are watching this on Dark Heart/Iron Hand NSNBC.
    It happened in 1998. The suspect robbed a bank in New Hampshire and led police on a chase into Massachusetts shooting at them while fleeing. Once there he wrecked his car and invaded the house of a Paul Hardy. What is not even mentioned in the articles that I have found is that Hardy is a Sheriff's deputy.
    Due to a technicality in sentencing the suspect is now in line to receive a reduced sentence.
    This is gross miscarriage of justice and only serves as a reminder that the liberal justice system is geared ever more toward the criminal.
    Hardy is a corrections officer and a public servant. To have his home invaded which has surely tramatized him and his family is atrocious and seeing the way the trial play out was even worse. Numerous counts of attempted murder of law enforcment officers, home invasion, kidnapping, robbery, theft, assault, etc and now receiving a reduced sentence.
    Unbelievable. If you are not familiar with this case look it up. It will make you sick.

5 days of deliberation to ultimately receive 19-20 years for the Hardy portion of this incident and only 10 for the bank robbery in New Hampshire.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Yup. That's bullshit.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Don't be so harsh guys. When this guy gets out of prison I would be honored if he moved in right next to me. I'll even have him over for a BBQ to welcome him to the area. A heated argument will then break out and he will try to attack me with a plastic Taco Bell spork or some other deadly weapon at which point I will have no choice but to double tap his T box. Man I hope his house won't take to long to sell. I really hate living next to an empty house.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    What gets me,is the law changed ON THE DAY HE WAS SENTENCED,!! Unless they have an excellent judicial system that can get it all done in 1 day,I say BS,guess what bubba,you commited the crimes on the OLD,guidelines not the new.

Probation13-901 is offline Master Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by mavriktu View Post
    What gets me,is the law changed ON THE DAY HE WAS SENTENCED,!! Unless they have an excellent judicial system that can get it all done in 1 day,I say BS,guess what bubba,you commited the crimes on the OLD,guidelines not the new.
    Agreed... If he would have COMITTED this after the law was changed them maybe he would have a case. ...... It's still bullshit!

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky

I don't get that - should the sentencing rules from the time the crime was committed be the ones used?

I think it's time to impeach that judge, and send her copies of the story of the family that was held hostage and murdered just last year.

I feel the use of the "c" word comin' on!!!!

Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I'm sure his attorney just got continuance after continuance after continuance because he/she knew the law change was coming.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

I believe the legal term you are thinking of is "Ex Post Facto", latin for after the fact. I also completely agree with you.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Five Oh.......what a great idea!!! Can I send you some ammo for your favorite weapon??

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I think the time is passed for us to come to the realization... the majority of judges simply do not give a shit. They don't have to face these types of animals anywhere unless they have bellychains and shackles on. They aren't part of the world we see on the street, they aren't affected by the shock and horror that the victim's (sometimes) live through, therefore they are simply unable (or simply unwilling) to empathize with the suffering inflicted.

The majority of prosecutors aren't good enough litigators to make the fortune that comes from personal injury plaintiff work, thus they settle for prosecution, and get ripped to shreds by the private sharks.

And the majority of the juries are comprised of folks who aren't smart enough or politically connected enough to evade jury duty. Their primary goal is getting the hell out of the courthouse so they can go on with their lives.

The only 'real' victim's advocates in the criminal justice system are the police.

I feel a /rant coming on...

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Thread Information